Thursday, January 24, 2019

Organizing Documents For An Emergency Evacuation



Today I spent some time filing my papers into a kit that I bought on Suze Orman's website. It keeps your financial documents beautifully organized. There are separate folders for copies of your passport, birth certificate, deed to your house, title to your car, etc. I also have my estate planning paperwork in there.

The box is waterproof and fire proof. I bought mine a year ago, and am embarrassed to say that I avoided filling  it for all of this time. Finally, I have put all of the required paperwork into it. It also has compartments for valuables, cash, and a spare set of keys. She knows everything that people need to have in a flood, fire, earthquake, or other unexpected event.


Last week I received an order of some emergency food from 4Patriots. I chose a 72 hour supply of food. It will stay fresh for twenty-five years. I think it's wise to have something that you can quickly grab if you need to leave your home immediately. I am probably going to order one of those earthquake backpacks, as well. It's so important to be prepared.

I feel so much better now. Everything is in one place, instead of scattered around the cottage in different folders. I plan to make copies of my passwords, as well. I will store some extra dog food and water for Lula in the trunk of my car, too.

 I was always raised to be as self sufficient as possible. You just never know the challenges that life will bring your way. I also stock up on extra groceries regularly. It feels good to know that you have plenty of food and water, should something go wrong. How about you? Are you prepared for an emergency?  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to be organised and prepared, reassuring for you.
    We don't have any thing to worry about like earthquakes, hurricanes etc here in the UK, we get floods in places sometimes, but nothing really disastrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Living Simply, Yes, it's a relief to have things organized. That's fortunate that you aren't worried about disasters where you live. We've had some extreme flooding here in the US, but mostly on the other coast.

      Delete
  2. We have one of those fire proof boxes. Only trouble is we keep it up on a high shelf in the bedroom cupboard. You made me realise that we should be able to access it quickly if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Cherie. I think the easier it is to grab it quickly, the better. Once I had to leave here in five minutes, due to a wildfire.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea. I have one too but I definitely need to organize and copy my passwords! Thanks for the reminder. On a related note, two years after losing my wallet, I finally remembered to take everything out of the wallet and copy it. It's hard to remember what you need to replace when you lose it. I placed the copies of the wallet contents in my box. ;-) Bobi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Bobi. I will do that, as well. I am going to put all of my friends' and family's addresses, emails, and phone numbers in there, too.

      Delete
  4. I hope we are properly prepared for disaster, but sometimes I worry we are completely ready. We are considering purchasing earthquake insurance since homeowner's insurance typically does not cover damage from an earthquake. I have a friend living in Anchorage who just learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Oh, I 'm sorry for your friend. My home insurance policy just arrived. I need to check it. I think it just covers fire. That's good that you are aware and are prepared.

      Delete
  5. I have all my important documents in folders, but not in a safe. I should think about buying a fire and water proof box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Those boxes are excellent. I like the boxes that Suze Orman sells.

      Delete