Sunday, December 2, 2018

Rebatched Soap In The Crockpot


Last night I decided to make a batch of hot processed soap. It had been quite a while since I had made soap this way. I lost my confidence after having a loaf go crumbly the last time I tried it. The sea salt and sugar that I added didn't dissolve. It was a 100% coconut oil soap recipe. I think that may have been part of the problem, too high a percentage of hard oils.  I decided to use a recipe using olive oil, so I did a simple one with coconut oil, olive oil, distilled water, sodium hydroxide, and cranberry fragrance oil.

Things started out pretty well. I had purchased a used crockpot at The Church of Hope Thrift Shop down the street. It was marked at $5.00, and I got it at 50% off. This was my first time trying hot processed soap in a crockpot. I plan to use it  for  soapmaking only.

I watched the soap batter transform through the clear lid. It went through the different stages: bubbling up, looking like vaseline,  and moving into the applesauce stage. I tried working at a higher temperature this time. I melted the oils in the crockpot, and added the lye water right away, rather than letting it cool. I mixed in a tsp. of sugar that I had combined with a T of distilled water. It caused some clumps in the lye water, which made me nervous. I strained the lye water as I poured it into the crockpot.

After about 45 minutes, I added cranberry chutney fragrance oil and a tsp. of red Brazilian clay mixed into a T of distilled water. I heated the water before combining them. To my dismay, the soap started to separate. When I put it in the mold, the loaf looked like it was sitting in oil. I got a familiar feeling of dread and failure.

I placed it in the freezer, and took a hot bath. I removed it afterward, sliced  the oily soaps and cut them up into quarters. I put them back into the crockpot, and did a rebatch. The soap started to come together, and it looked much better. I mixed it together and pressed it into my silicone loaf mold.


This morning I removed it and sliced it into pieces. They smell divine, and I really am happy with the peachy shade of pink from the natural clay. I used a bar this morning in the shower, and fell in love. I had forgotten that rebatched soap is my absolute favorite to use. It's so mild. The lather is wonderful and bubbly. I have been finding several reasons to happily wash my hands.

These will make really nice Christmas gifts for  my friends, knitting ladies, and neighbors.  They are more simple and country looking than the molded cold processed soaps that I usually make. I like how old fashioned they seem and  feel.  They remind me of farmhouse soaps that women my grandmother's age made in  the fifties.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.        

20 comments:

  1. I wish we had smellovision. As you say they make lovely gift. Well done on your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. It was such a relief when they came together. There is something about cooked soap that I really like.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love the hand made look as well, they are lovely and sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Laurie. Some soap makers describe them as looking more rustic. They feel so old fashioned.

      Delete
  3. As always, your soaps look so appealing. I am sure anyone who is gifted one of them will be very happy. I am becoming a fan of milder soaps in the winter months as my hands become so very chapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. They do get a very appreciative response. I love the milder soaps, too. I find I need lotion this time of year.

      Delete
  4. I love making soap. All my friends and family love it, too. I tried the crock pot process once and had to throw everything out, including the pot! Never tried that again. I have a favorite recipe for my soap that I go back to again and again. Only the additives and scent change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends and family love homemade soap, too. That's too bad that you had to throw everything out. Having a favorite recipe keeps things consistent.

      Delete
  5. The crock pot was a great deal! And I guess if you try and try again, you will have success. And you did! Looks pretty. I love your pink geranium. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I will keep working on this technique. I love the end result.

      Delete
  6. Nice I can almost smell it, it's amazing what you can do with the crock pot.
    Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Marlene. This is my first one. I may get one for cooking, too.

      Delete
  7. They look so pretty.
    Can you use hot processed soaps right away Stephenie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes. That's one of the things that I like about it. I still cure mine for a couple of weeks, but I used one of these the same day. (just to sample it.)

      Delete
  8. I think its wonderful you experiment with different soap makings! I tend to stick to a pretty narrow repertoire of varieties, all of which are of the "rustic" appearance.

    It sounds just lovely, though I'm surprised you didn't need to let it cure for x6 weeks? I was under the impression this was an important part of the soap making process?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Waiting four to six weeks is needed with cold processed soap. With hot processed, you cook it until it is ready. The bars still become harder and dryer after a cure, but there is no danger with the lye. It is no longer caustic after going through the different stages. It's totally different than raw soap. I will do a post on it today.

      Delete
  9. You describe the process so well. I have never tried making soap before. Maybe I will give it a go one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, You would be an excellent soapmaker; you are so crafty. I think you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  10. It's great that you can try again and end up with soap you are happy with. I imagine that it smells divine! It will make lovely gifts. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Meg, Yes, I am overjoyed with this soap. It does smell intoxicating. It's my favorite gift to give others.

    ReplyDelete