Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Sending Out Soaps For Christmas



Yesterday I received an order in my Etsy shop. It was from a dancer  friend who now lives in Pennsylvania. She wanted ten soaps; she plans to give them as Christmas gifts. This morning I wrapped each of them  in bubble wrap. taped it carefully, and then stuffed them inside small muslin drawstring bags. I wrote out the vintage Santa labels by hand , and wrapped and secured them around the soaps. After that, I printed out the packing slip and shipping label. I really enjoy getting holiday packages ready to ship.


Knowing which size to use for sending boxes can be tricky. In this case, the medium size flat rate box was the best deal. Sometimes I also use the Regional Box A size.  Small business owners in America can order special Priority Mail boxes in different sizes online through the US Postal Service. They are free of charge, and can be delivered to your business or home. I keep a stash with my packing supplies. I also recycle bubble wrap, newspaper, and popcorn, as long as it's clean.


After sending off that order, I had another waiting for me when I got home. This one is for six bars of soap. The customer is  a lady who plays bridge with my father. She gives them as gifts to her friends at the bridge club.  She's a very kind and friendly person. It's fun to connect with people annually and be part of their traditions. Each December, I always wish that I had made more soap. I plan to whip up a few batches this week to store for the future.

At this time of year, the hard work that I've done over the summer starts to pay off handsomely. There are oranges to pick, pumpkins and squash to harvest, and soaps to mail to customers, family,  and friends. It inspires me to continue to sow seeds for the future.  Do you plan to mail many packages this year?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  

14 comments:

  1. i have collected some nice shopping bags (totes) for gifts this year, supermarkets no longer supplying bags & thought friends & family would like some unique bags
    just read your previous post on the socks, that certainly is a tiny sock! loved knitting the Easy Lace socks, they seemed to knit up quickly too, love the colours in your yarn
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a great idea, Selina. My sister in law gave me a cloth shopping bag twenty years ago, and I still use it each week. I loved knitting those Easy Lace Socks, too. I had to rip this one out, it didn't work right with the yarn. The colors were pooling. Oh well. It will now be a 2x2 ribbed sock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful soaps! I love the effort you put into wrapping them too. I will be mailing gifts next week to my mum and family far away. If I leave it too late, I have to pay express post rates which are expensive. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are expensive here, too, Meg. That's wise to mail early. Thank you for the compliment. I love making soap. Today is the perfect rainy day...

      Delete
  4. One of the joys of buying stuff from the likes of Etsy is the effort some sellers go to with their packaging. Receiving carefully tissue-wrapped and personalised stickered items is a gift in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pipistrello. The stickers are so much fun. I do a lot of shopping on Etsy, too.

      Delete
  5. I have just filled eight A4 size envelopes with paper crafting items to send off to some of my crafting buddies. I was given a load of it last week... Most of it was unopened and had never even been looked at. The surprise envelopes aren't intended as Christmas presents but simply sharing my good fortune. I think it will be a nice surprise for the recipients who have no idea that it is on its way. It also destashes my craft room as I know I would never get around to using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your friends will love it, Cherie. I have received lovely yarn from fellow crafters, and I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. Oh-too bad about having to rip out your sock, but you never can be totally sure of how a yarn will knit up can you? Your soaps are lovely. I kept the muslin bag you sent my gift soap in last spring and stuffed it full of dried lavender from the garden. It is hanging in a guestroom closet! We are just about ready to harvest the winter carrot crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, The Christmas sock looks right now. The stripes are so pretty. I have been using the lavender that you sent me regularly. It makes my sweaters smell divine, and I gave one of the little bags to my neighbor, too. Thanks again. I love it in the bathtub, as well.

      Delete
  7. You package your soaps so prettily! I think that is what impresses me most of etsy shop/boggers! You don't get that care at the stores these days! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. That's part of what makes being a soapmaker fun and creative. I buy the supplies in bulk.

      Delete
  8. I made small drawstring bags from leftover sheer curtain fabric. They are just enough to hold about three handmade soaps. :)
    I rarely use store bought wrapping paper. I do have a roll, but I prefer to use newspaper or fabric to wrap gifts depending on the recipient.

    Congratulations on your Christmas sales Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the people I sell or give them to tell me that they reuse the muslin bags. I like your idea of using leftover curtain fabric. Thanks for the encouragement, Nil. I'm sure your friends and family will enjoy your homemade soaps.

      Delete