Wednesday, November 14, 2018

I Lost A Dear Friend Last Night



I found out today that my sweet friend Kate Vanderliet passed away last night. She had ovarian cancer. She was so young...still in her fifties, I believe. We met in the show Hello Hollywood, Hello! starring Carol Channing. Kate was a principal dancer at MGM, and she especially shined in the number Top Hat.

We were roommates after we both returned to Reno for a second stint,  and also performed there in the show A Chorus Line together. She was a fantastic Val, belting out her song with confidence and gusto.  She loved to ski, and would often get up early and drive up to Lake Tahoe with our friend John Paul Reeves to spend the day skiing. They would make the two and a half hour trek back to Reno, and then perform two shows that night. She seemed to have unlimited energy and enthusiasm.

I am working on an obituary on her for Dance Magazine. This is the hardest one I have ever done, because  she was such a close friend.  I think the more we love a person, the deeper the grief cuts into our heart.

When I got the news I thought, "First the fires, and now Kate." Both were such a shock. She had mentioned to me in a message that she was dealing with a health issue, but didn't elaborate. When I answered back and asked her about it, she didn't answer. In show business, admitting to something like cancer usually means you will never work again. I still wish I had known, and could have done something. I am relieved that she is no longer suffering.

We both grew up in Northern California. She elected to stay in Paris until the end. She had become a big star at The Lido, and she had full medical coverage there. We are all grieving her loss.    

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. She was a magical performer and person.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, as you say the closer the person, the deeper it cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry for your loss, it's not easy losing those we love
    xxx
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't get any easier. Grief is something we all have to experience. I feel lucky to have known her.

      Delete
  4. I am so very sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself and remember the lovely times you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I am enjoying looking at all of her glamorous photos and reading the messages that she sent me.

      Delete
  5. So sad to read this, sorry for your loss.
    Cancer just seems to take so many lives, I wonder if they will ever find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Living Simply. That is true. Not everyone lives to be old. I think that she accomplished what she came here to do. We all love her dearly.

      Delete
  6. So sad! She was young! Life is difficult at times. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, Andrea. She was so generous and enthusiastic. She really lit up a room.

      Delete
  7. What a loss, my deepest condolences, and what a beauty she was. Cancer is such a beast it spares no one, I keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she was gorgeous, laurie. The epitome of a showgirl. She was also very smart and funny. She kept us all laughing backstage.

      Delete
  8. I worked with Kate at MGM from 1981-1984. I too was amazed at her boundless energy. I am so sorry to hear of Kate's passing. I wish you my deepest sympathy. May she have eternal peace. Margo Clifford Ging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Margo. She was a wonderful friend. MGM was a very special experience for us all. Those were such happy times.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry, Stephenie. Losing a loved one is never easy. I wish you comfort and peace during this time. I have fallen behind in my commenting, but just want you to know I enjoy following your blog and reading what you write. I believe there is value for us younger ones to learn from and listen to the older and wiser women in our lives. Also- many posts ago you wrote about your mother... she sounds like a woman I would love to have learned from as well! You are so blessed with such a beautiful legacy. I hope you have a lovely day! Keep writing!!! 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney. I appreciate you reading the blog and commenting. I know it get too busy to be online all the time. I will continue to post about those people. They were very talented and special beings. Their spirits are still around us.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your friend. May she find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness she lived such a full life and was able to experience so much. So many never take the risk to fulfill their dreams.

    I am sorry that your friend has died. May her wonderful friendship and now her wandering bright spirit bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peace Thyme. She did live a very full life. She accomplished so much, and was loved by many of us in the dance community.

      Delete
  12. Oh Stephanie, Kate would be so pleased to know you are writing her obituary for Dance Magazine. I feel we all need a group hug. Everyone loved Kate and our HHH family feels such a loss. I cherish all my HHH friends more than ever. Kate's smile, laugh, and those LEGS will always be remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. I don't know who wrote this, but I understand. I am honored to write her obituary for Dance Magazine. I would have put her on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sorry to read about the loss of your dear friend, Stephenie. While it is hard to write, I am sure that your words will honour your friend. She sounds as though she really relished life and lived it fully. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. She did. She was very passionate, and achieved her goals.

      Delete
  15. Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. Cancer is such a cruel disease. She sounds like she was a very special woman, who loved to experience all she could this world of our has to offer.

    Go gently in this sad time, and may you find the words to express who she was and the life she lived in your obituary. I'm sure you will honor her memory and life beautifully.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. She was, Emma. I turned in the obituary to my editor today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Stephanie, so sorry for your loss... I am wondering if the John Paul Reeves you mentioned is originally from Arizona, studied at the Ailey School and I believe danced at Pittsburgh Dance Theater?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, that is exactly the John Paul. I just saw him at our last Hello Hollywood Hello! reunion. Thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate was a dear friend of my brother Dean. He passed away 10 years ago and Kate was so supportive and loving to us when he was sick. He would be, as I am, horrified and grief-stricken to learn this news. She was a wonderful, warm, special woman. Just read your obituary in Dance Magazine...it was beautiful. xo, Alysse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Alysse. I'm sorry I didn't see this comment until now. I don't always get notifications. I'm sure Dean and Kate are having a wonderful time together in heaven now. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete