Saturday, November 3, 2018

I Prefer Real Books

Daylily and fresh Basil in bloom


I have been reading another book on Laura Ingalls Wilder. This one is titled Prairie Fires, by Caroline Fraser. It was recommended by me to Anita in San Diego. She regularly comments on this blog. Thank you, Anita, I am really enjoying the book. At first, I didn't care for the tone of the author, but I plowed forward, and have been finding the  information fascinating. It's filled with interesting facts and details.

Initially I ordered it on OverReader, through my library. I love that option, because it is instantly available to you on your desktop. I have an expensive tendency to forget to return library books on time.  My neighbor suggested switching to reading them online, thus avoiding  library fines.

Cinderella Pumpkin vine and Amaranth

Although I was excited to read it on my screen at first, I found that I really missed holding the book in my hands. I went back online, and saw that they had a copy at my local branch. I drove over this morning and picked it up, in hardback.  I brought it home and enjoyed reading a few chapters outside, on my porch. Enjoying the view of the garden, I sat comfortably rocking  in one of the teak wood gliders.

It is a compelling story. I think I must have read it about ten years ago, because it is starting to sound familiar. I also remember the photos. They are striking, showing the truth and reality of the pioneers' situation. Many of those farmers starved. They had a terribly sad fate.  It really makes me appreciate all of the modern conveniences that we have now, like running water and electricity. I feel so fortunate to have a warm, comfortable bed, plenty of food, and clean clothing. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

12 comments:

  1. I also prefer real books, I have a tablet and I have tried reading on there, it is a big no no for me, it's that thing of letting technology take over again isn't it.
    Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Living Simply, I like the convenience of receiving an online book immediately. But, if I can get a hold of the real book, I will. Technology is so fast.

      Delete
  2. I understand completely, there is no substitute for the hard copy of a book, it’s the experience for me, it just feels right lol, I use the iPad and Ontario downloads for digital and audio book loans, it’s ok, I can enlarge print with it, the audio selection is good but my blindness has not caused me to lose the joy I get from holding a book, it just feels right lo,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel right, laurie. I will have to try the audio books on my desktop. Those would be perfect for when I'm cleaning the cottage.

      Delete
  3. IT sounds like a beautiful way to spend some time, reading and enjoying your garden. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mereknits. I think I will do some knitting today, too.

      Delete
  4. I am happy you are enjoying this book. It is good to remember that our country has gone through so many economic booms and busts and has survived. I did not enjoy the chapters that focused on Rose as much as I did the Ingalls family histories. I also agree about the joy of reading a real book. I am a regular library patron!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So am I, Anita. I got the other book that you recommended, too. I am excited to read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too like real books, though I often read books on my iPad as well. Our library has a much larger collection of ebooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting, Nil. I live close to three libraries, so I'm spoiled. We can also order books easily through their system.

      Delete
  7. Your daylily is so beautiful, Stephenie. I love the depth of its colours. I am one for real books too, I love the weight of them in my hands and curling up with them on the sofa. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I love the colors of the daylily on your blog, too. It's so soft and feminine. Yes, books are very comforting, aren't they?

      Delete