Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving

delicate feverfew flowers in bloom right now


I hope that you had a Happy Thanksgiving. I stuffed a chicken with Mrs. Cubbinson's stuffing, just like my mom and I used to do. It was delicious. I prepared a simple version of the traditional meal: chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and orange cranberry sauce. It was delicious.  The homemade apple cranberry cobbler made a delightful dessert. I baked it a few days in advance. I roasted the stuffed chicken last night. I find it easier to do everything in stages. That way there is not an overwhelming amount of work to do on the big day.  The leftovers are divine!  I gave Lula the liver, onions, and neck meat from the giblets. That was her doggie treat for Thanksgiving.

today's freshly harvested zucchini and a pumpkin on the vine


I used fresh oranges in the cranberry sauce  from the Navel Orange tree in my backyard. We finally had some rain last night. It was such a relief. The garden looks so green and healthy today. I picked a couple of zucchinis this morning, and noted the progress of my pumpkins. They are small, but are steadily growing. Their color is still yellow. I hope that they make it to orange. They grow a lot faster when planted during the hot weather. They don't need as much water this time of year, though. It's been an interesting experiment. It's so exciting to grow vegetables from seed. Their transformation is like magic!

my Carbeth sweater

Yesterday I went to our  knitting group and worked on my sweater. I thought that I was almost finished, but then  realized that I had made another mistake. I should have done decreases before and after each sleeve. So, now I have to rip it back to the underarm join again. (sigh) Oh well. "Win a few, lose a few," as my Aunt Mary  used to say. It's going to be a fabulous sweater, though. I tried it on to check the fit.  It will be better once it has twice as many decreases, like it's supposed to have.  I am eager to get it done. How was your Thanksgiving?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

12 comments:

  1. Hi Stephenie. Happy Thanksgiving. It isn't something we celebrate here in England but it sounds like a lovely celebration. That sweater is going to be lovely when it's finished. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, It is such a delicious meal! Thank you for the encouragement on the sweater.

      Delete
  2. Your sweater looks wonderful. Please post a photo of the finished product! I am considering another cardigan and have even bought a pattern, but have not had the chance to visit the yarn shop to buy the yarn. Our Thanksgiving was just perfect. My father was well enough to eat a hearty meal. Only one son was able to come, but the other son was able to at least finish up his role in the Army exercise in Louisiana and get a flight back home to Hawaii on Wednesday. Stuffed turkey, roasted root veg, cranberry salad, mashed potatoes and lots of gravy. And pumpkin pie. I make everything homemade and believe me-it was nice to just put my feet up last night and relax. Loving the rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, Your yarn shop will be happy that you are buying your yarn for a cardigan there. How exciting! Your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful. I'm glad that your father was able to attend. The rain was such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious homemade meal you made for Thanksgiving, Stephenie. It sounds delicious! Lovely that you have had rain; it makes such a difference to a garden. We are hoping to have some more rain here too but are readying for a very hot week coming up. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I agree, the rain has completely changed the feel of the air and the soil. I hope you stay cool next week.

      Delete
  5. Sorry I have missed this post, I have been busy this week (will catch up on my blog soon), but I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The sweater is looking good, I can't knit or sew, but love to see what others are making. Have a good weekend.
    Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene, Thank you. I am excited to finish it. I hope you had a happy a Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Rather belated. Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds wonderful. We have similar methods of preparing special meals. Not being a social cook, I have to focus on either the food or the guests! As you mentioned, incremental preparation alleviates the stress. :-)

    Your sweater is going to be well worth the extra time you are taking to get it just right. You will be wearing and enjoying it for many years!

    My little apartment has experienced a steady flow of people for the better part of 10 days. Family arrived on the 15th and departed on the 19th. I cannot accommodate four guests in this small space, but Miss Curious (age 12--she is growing up so quickly!) spent Saturday night and Sunday with me. It was our annual Christmas gift crafting/sewing spectacular, planned via Skype this year. She even managed to wrap the gifts before she left, and I will tuck a few things into the carton before shipping it later this week. It was a lovely visit, then back to work on Monday and Tuesday.

    BFF and her DH arrived late Wednesday afternoon. Their lives were turned upside down two years ago by a personal tragedy. They are still trying to find a "new normal." Last year, Thanksgiving was with their DD and her family. They decided to visit me for Thanksgiving and will leave around noon to spend a few days with BFF's mother, who lives outside Las Vegas. They like to check on her several times a year and be sure her home is in good condition. Our holiday feast was simple and delicious. We have had a lovely visit in rather squashed quarters. They have the bedroom; I have the surprisingly comfortable AeroBed in the living room. Good thing I have known both of them since we were children! Did I mention tight quarters? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taja, It sounds like you've been having fun. I know what you mean. When my dad stayed here after my hip surgery, I slept on the couch. It was very comfortable, though. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable visit.

      Delete
  7. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds so delicious. Nothing better than a homemade meal for a special occasion.
    I didn't make anything special for Thanksgiving, but went to a friend's place for Thanksgiving dinner.

    I hope you are having a great weekend. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, a homemade Thanksgiving feast in absolutely delicious. How fun to spend the holiday with a friend. I hope you are enjoying your weekend, too.

      Delete