Monday, November 5, 2018

Still Harvesting Zucchini

zucchini in November

This afternoon I found a large, green zucchini that I had missed. It's very satisfying to still be harvesting squash in November. I cooked it up with some cube steak for lunch. For dinner I had a large salad. The lettuce patch is producing really well. I'm thrilled. The chickens are enjoying it, too. It is a wonderful feeling to grow some of your own food, organically. The temperatures are perfect for gardening right now.

I read a frightening article today about a man in Australia who ate a slug on a dare, and then died. He was paralyzed for eight years. I found my first slug ever on the lettuce that I picked for my salad this evening. It was an eerie coincidence. I carefully removed it and threw it in the green waste bin, and then washed my hands. I'll never look at a slug the same way again. 

painted sky last night


I spent a few hours this afternoon trying to unravel some knots in the yarn that I'm using for my shawl. It was frustrating not to get any knitting done.  I am almost through all of the knots, though, This was a center pull ball of yarn. When will I learn that I should just work from the outside of the ball? I always have this problem when I work from the inside and the yarn starts to collapse. Invariably, I run into a huge mass of knots and tangles. It makes me so frustrated and depressed.  I shouldn't get that way, but struggling with  problems with  knitting can make you feel very negative, emotionally.  I think that's why I hated sewing as a teenager. I didn't have the patience or technique. Oh, well, I almost have the problem section all unraveled, and I didn't have to cut the yarn, thank goodness!  Hopefully I will be able to move forward with it tomorrow.

headed home on our walk


Last night after walking Lula, I did Pilates, the physical therapy hip exercises, and a short set of Kundalini Yoga. I really want to continue to stay in shape as I age. My body feels so much different now, since I'm not dancing professionally. I miss being in tip top condition. I feel very fortunate to be healthy and pain free, though. I am so thankful that I had that hip replacement surgery.  How are you doing?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. Zucchini are just the most prolific vegetables aren’t they?

    All is well with me. Tired after working hard to get the house on the market but happy. Looking forward to catching up on everyone’s blog posts that I have missed!

    And slugs are strange creatures, we think them harmless, but sadly not always!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are, Emma. I never get tired of them. The home grown ones taste so much better than store bought. I am going to do some research on slugs.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if zucchini leaves are edible. They look very healthy. 😊

    I also read about the man who ate a slug. It's very sad. However I can't imagine why anyone wants to eat a slug. Eww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Nil. That's a good question. I usually compost them.

      It was a sad and disturbing story. It's tragic when people take those types of dares and it ends horribly.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to find something tasty you had forgotten about a real bonus. I have never heard about what eating a slug can do, I have just googled it and the results were frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Living Simply. Thank you, the zucchini was absolutely delicious. They are worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. Yuk... I can't imagine why anyone would deliberately eat a slug. I think these 'bush tucker' kind of programs put silly ideas in peoples heads. I bet the zucchini (courgette)??? was delicious. I have made a little hedge of curly Kale. It crops right through the winter and then in the spring I let it flower and go to seed. The yellow flowers are gorgeous and the buds are edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, I forgot that we use a different name than you do. It was s courgette. Your kale hedge sounds like a wonderful piece of edible landscaping.

      Delete
  5. Zucchini in your garden is very giving! My husband just told me about that slug story! Sad!! My toddler granddaughter got a hold of my yarn once and unraveled it all over my house..lol….I just threw it out..it was impossible to fix! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Andrea. What a generous plant, I love it. I think I am going to take the scissors to this yarn. My time is more valuable than the desire not to cut it. At least now it's just a small piece.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same way about center pull yarn. For me, not only does it always tangle, but most of the time I can never even find the start. I have to pull and poke around so much that I get frustrated and just yank out a wad of yarn and hope for the best. We don't grow zucchini because we have limited space and Steve does not like them. Our lettuce crop is growing really well this year after a horrible summer-it was too hot! I also read about the slug eater. EWWWWWW. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I'm glad to hear that your lettuce is doing well. The temperatures right now are ideal. I'm getting enough lettuce for a daily salad and to feed the chickens, too. I plan to remove the worst part of this yarn, and throw away the knotted area. I think I will rewind the yarn by hand.

      Delete
  7. Zucchini are fantastic plants! I have yellow zucchini growing in pots right now, none to harvest yet though. I can't imagine ever eating a slug ... ugh! I hadn't heard about the fellow who died, even though I live in Australia, I don't watch the news much. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Yes, zucchinis are so fruitful. I am still amazed at how they are producing. I love to eat the flowers, too. I've never grown yellow zucchini. I bet it's a beautiful, lemony shade.

      Delete