Monday, November 12, 2018

California Wildfires

vegetables and barley cooked in beef bone broth

As many of you know, California is experiencing some horrific wildfires. It's very sad to see the devastation that they have done, and to hear the personal stories of  loss and heartbreak.  I think what makes it really frightening is the gridlock. To know that if there is a fire in your area  that you can't get out quickly and  safely is terrifying. The thought of being in bumper to bumper traffic in that situation makes my heart drop.  You feel trapped.

Fifteen years ago we had a huge fire in this area.  What I did was to flee in five minutes. My intuition told me not to wait. I grabbed my dogs, important papers, a backpack with  a few clothing changes, and drove six hours to my parents' house.

I remember seeing the crawling traffic headed south on Interstate 5. I was headed north, and it was fine. Even back then, I realized that the people who were waiting to be evacuated would be in the greatest danger, because of all the cars.  I thought about how congested the freeways here become. I couldn't imagine jumping out of the car and running to escape the flames. They were moving so fast. We have twice as many people as we used to in LA.   You really need to plan where and when you drive.

Another thing that has made the fires worse is how dry and parched the land has become.  Because of the drought,  many people stopped watering their yards completely. I don't grow as much as I used to, but I keep everything around my house green. We are allowed to water fruits and vegetables, so that's what I have.  I mulch heavily, and the soil is healthy. If I didn't, it would be like a desert.  We get very intense Santa Ana winds and they just suck the moisture out  from the earth and soil. Your face feels parched this time of year.

I feel deeply for the people who have lost their homes, their lives,  and their  loved ones. I have been staying snug in my cottage  most of the time, just in case. I want to keep an eye on things, and be aware of what is happening. I'm glad that I bought an overabundance of groceries last week. My intuition was nudging me to buy extra produce and staples on sale,  so I did. Now I don't need to shop, and  don't really feel like it. I forgot to do my laundry today. Monday is washing day. I was kind of numbed by the news of how many had died in their automobiles, trying to escape to a safe place. Those images of the burned out cars and houses  really hits you. Then again, the beauty of the fire and sky is also compelling. It reminded me of the television footage of the fires in San Francisco, after the big earthquake. The whole city was lit up with flames.    

On a practical note, it's important to keep the gas tank filled, and to have plenty of cash on hand. I cooked some fresh zucchini from the garden, made a salad with greens from the lettuce patch, and worked on finishing my shawl. I took Lula for a walk, and brushed  out her glorious coat. I feel very thankful for the little things today. It could have been any of us here that had our homes burn to the ground. Unfortunately, that is one of the dangers of living in this area.     

22 comments:

  1. Sound advice.Its horrendous what is happening at present California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, It's a massive job for the fire fighters. I haven't checked the news yet.

      Delete
  2. Glad you and Lula are safe and snug, Stephanie. It sounds as though you are well prepared for evacuation or other emergencies. The loss of life in these wildfires always is horrendous and the work of the first responders and relief crews incredible.

    I remember that fire you mention. My BFF's DD (Dear Daughter) and her family have lived in your general area since their daughter was two (she is 20 now). They evacuated to the parental home for a while. They almost had to evacuate again a few years ago. The wind shifted shortly before the evacuation notice went into effect.

    Many people mention the frequency and intensity of the California fires these days. I considered the Los Angeles area home most of the first half of my life and recall wildfires two or three times annually most years. The biggest differences seem to be population density in formerly brushy wilderness areas and the 24/7 news cycle plus social media. Residences and supporting services have been built in box canyons with only one access point. There were very few people living in Malibu,Topanga Canyon (not currently affected) and places such as Thousand Oaks, which had a population of about 2,000 in the 1950s and 1960s compared to the 100,000 plus residents of today. Fire breaks were created, water/retardant dropped, and the fires allowed to burn out. Obviously, not an option now! And since news coverage was much more limited, we frequently were unaware of the severity of the fires until after the fact. Not sure if that was good or bad!

    My BFF sometimes laughs (lovingly, one hopes!) at my slight overstocking of basics. She forgets that when one is solo, there may not be someone available to assist in an emergency. She is very social and considers it normal to run (drive) to one store or another most days to buy a single item. We are incredibly different and have been BFFs most of our lives. Thank goodness for public schools--we never would have met otherwise!

    Returning to regularly scheduled positive thoughts for those affected by this batch of fires. Not nearly as practical as those physically assisting in the area, unfortunately.

    Fingers crossed the current wildfires are controlled soon.


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taja, What you've written is so true. They used to just let some of these forest fires burn. It was Mother Nature's way of clearing the brush. Now people are living in those places. Homes are also being built on top of the hills, rather than at the base. Where you are placed makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  3. Stephenie, my heart is in my mouth each time I come to check your blog. I have been worried sick about you. Stay safe out there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you for your concern. I am keeping a close watch on what's happening. It's still very windy.

      Delete
  4. Very glad to read that you are safe, Stephenie. It's heart wrenching to read of the ferocity and devastation being caused by the fires in California; bushfires are a reality here in Australia too. It's good that you listened to your intuition and stocked up so that you have all you need in your little cottage. Stay safe! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Thank you. It sounds like parts of Australia are just as dry and fire prone as where I live. You seem to get much more rain, though. Northern Calufornia and Nevada has an excellent amount of precipitation last year, but we didn't.

      Delete
    2. Australia is a big country, some areas get a lot of rain, and others dont. Where I am from (south) we get 400ml/year, and in this state that is considered high rainfall. Other areas a little further inland get far less then that. Costal areas get more, and up north they get more again. The centre of Australia is desert. Most of Australia is very dry.

      Xx

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's very interesting, Emma. No wonder I was confused. I always remember Rhonda blogging about her rain barrels. Now I understand. It makes perfect sense. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Your practical suggestions are good for any disaster that might strike. Those fires are awful! So true about the danger of the traffic jams and people dying trapped in their cars! When you had your fires, years ago, you were smart to leave early and not wait! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I had visions of this happening, people burning in their cars while stuck in traffic. Sometimes all you need to do is to drive across town and wait. Your location is critical.

      Delete
  6. You have written a very heartfelt and moving piece. All of us who have lived through California wildfires have a story to share. It is so tragic. When we were evacuated in 2007 (1600 homes burned in our suburban area of Rancho Bernardo/Escondido in that fire) it took us over an hour to drive the mile to the main intersection. At that intersection the fire was roaring down both sides of the street, devouring homes and a church. It was surreal. Stay informed and keep safe-I think the worst winds will be today, Tuesday, at least for us down here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly what I mean, Anita. You are crawling. As the old saying goes, "Better safe than sorry." Please keep us posted how things are in your area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been half watching the disaster out bushfires from afar. Only half watching because it triggers terrible memories of bushfires we lived through. It’s simply heart breaking. I so sorry for your country.

    I am glad you are safe, and yes, the advice here is to leave early or to stay and fight the fires, if you are equipped to do so. Don’t leave as the fire is on top of you, its the most dangerous time To attempt to move.

    Staying well stocked in fire season is essential. I’m glad you are finding peace in the little things as natural disasters are very stressful.

    Take care.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Yes, they are. You sound very informed about bush fires. It's so traumatic. I can't look at the photos anymore.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to hear that you are safe, Stephenie.
    It's very sad to see the devastation caused by these fires in your state.
    Your advice is very good for any type of emergency situation. In my case, it's hurricanes.

    Stay safe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thank you. Yes, I remember you in that last hurricane, when you went to stay with your friend. I feel so badly for these people who had no time or space to escape. It must have been terrifying.

      Delete
  10. I'm not online much these days till my eyes are all repaired and healed, but have been thinkig about you and wishing you and Lula well, Stephenie.

    I have numerous friends who lost everything in the Oakland fires.... they are still traumatized. My family just south of you are waiting and watching....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. What a shame. I'm so glad that you posted, I have been worried about you. I didn't know that you had an issue with your eyes. I'm relieved to hear that your family is safe, and I hope that it stays that way.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad to hear you're safe! Fires are so frightening. I remember the fires in the San Gabriel mountains above my home when I was a little girl living in Arcadia. We didn't have to leave, but it was close! I pray for all those dealing with this horrible tragedy.

    Stay safe!

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rue. Yes, they are frightening. I didn't know that you grew up in Arcadia. My friend lived there, as well. Thank you for your prayers. It's a difficult time for many of these people.

      Delete