Sunday, December 16, 2018

Almost Finished With My Carbeth Sweater



I am nearly finished knitting Carbeth. It's such a soft and plush sweater. I love the way the shaping looks under the bust. I've been working on the rolled neck. I started off  using a circular needle, but just switched to dpn's. Mine are a bit short to hold nineteen stitches a piece, but if I'm careful, it works. I much prefer the feeling of straight needles to circulars, always have. There is something about the feeling of the wood in my hands that grounds me.


I can't wait to try it on and to see the turtleneck. I only have five more rows to go. I may do extra rows, depending on the fit. I have a long neck.  The designer is petite, and much shorter than I am. I am so glad that I still made a size small. I added more more inches to the body, rather than keeping it cropped at the waist.  I am long waisted. I also made the arms much longer. It's easy to adjust the fit so that it matches your shape perfectly.

Last night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. I normally go to bed at 9:00 p.m.  I was so excited to keep knitting and reading about the other Carbeths that people have made. It's the kind of sweater that really comes to life once it's on your body.  The simple construction is very flattering and it has lovely diagonal lines. I have a feeling that I will be making another one of these, maybe in red.  How is your knitting going?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

16 comments:

  1. The sweater already looks great.

    You go to bed at 9 pm? You are great! I wish I could do it. I'm not very disciplined when it comes to sleep, though I try to get 7 hours of sleep. Do you wake up very early?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, it depends. I usually get up between five and six. That's eight or nine hours a night, but it feels healthy and luxurious to me. I couldn't sleep when my hips were arthritic. I really appreciate the deep rest and rejuvenation now. I bet you could train yourself. For me it's all routine and habit.

      Delete
  2. looking good!
    i have done a little sock knitting but it's way too humid here to do much knitting with heavy wools but hope to get back to the commissioned cardigan soon then finish off my sons jumper as well; then i hope i can get back to knitting for myself, still have two tops on the go for me :))
    a Carbeth in red sounds amazing! it would look good in most colours i should think
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. You sound very busy and productive!

      Delete
  3. A very good looking sweater, wish I had your drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I am very driven and determined. I get depressed if I don't finish and wear or gift what I knit. It's so satisfying to stay warm and cozy under hand knits!

      Delete
  4. Love the design and colour. I will have to look the pattern up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. So do I. She's Scottish. I love the turtleneck!

      Delete
  5. I haven't got the patience to knit a jumper for me. It does look lovely though and I bet it is really snuggly to wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, It's addicting. It's so fun to watch the pattern materialize! Thank you, it is very soft and snuggly.

      Delete
  6. The sweater is beautiful. I zoomed in on the photo to admire your consistent tension-all stitches are equal. My knitting has been going slow, partially due to other obligations and the state of my poor chapped hands. I also prefer using DPNs whenever possible. I also go to bed at 9:00pm. I am not a good sleeper (never, ever have been) and am up by 3:00am or so each morning. Steve on the other hand could easily be on the Olympic Sleep team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anita. I try to look at it from several feet back...if I focus on each stitch, I can get hypercritical. I love the design, fit, and simplicity of it. Wow, you are an early riser!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sweater is most lovely, Stephenie. It's lovely to become so absorbed by something that you love doing. I have just finished two washcloths and will now be knitting a lot more because I got my first ever order for one dozen in organic cotton. It came about just through a conversation between a locai soap maker who has a market stall here on the island where we are on holidays. I bought some of her soap, she makes one with carrot juice in it. It's a gorgeous colour! Meg🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. That's so true. Congratulations on your order for a dozen cotton washcloths. How exciting! That soap sounds so beautiful.

      Delete










  9. This is a gorgeous piece of knotting! It's going to become a fast favorite, I'm sure.
    Like you, I always have to add waist,arm and especially neck length or I look as if I'm wearing a child's sweater!
    Circular, one piece knitting is by far my favorite means of knit-wear construction. I taught myself from Elizabeth Zimmermans,s books years ago. It was tricky at first to visualize the three dimensional aspect, but after many mishaps I have never looked back.
    I think knit structure and the overall comfort of the piece benefits from not being constrained by rigid seam construction and I also hate, hate hate seaming knit-wear!

    I'm hoping to be able to knit and do other hand work in a few months time. It's really annoying not seeing properly and I so miss the creativity of it all. I'll be looking into this Carbeth pattern when I can!

    Hoping you and the lovely Lula have a beautiful and happy Christmas and New Year.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Yes, it is already my new favorite sweater. It's so comfortable and soft. It sounds like we are the same body type. This is the first oversized sweater that I've knit, and I love it. I also enjoy the vintage style, seamed sweaters. They fit into my budget nicely, because they don't use as much yarn. I think you will love this pattern. Kate Davies is the designer. She has a few different versions that are all fabulous. I hope that your eyes heal and that you have a wonderful Christmas, too. It must be hard not to be able to knit.

      Delete