Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Carbeth Completed

The stitches look so much smoother and more uniform after blocking

On Tuesday I finished my  Carbeth sweater. I wore it yesterday morning to Sprouts and Valley Produce. The two women behind the counter at Sprouts complimented me on it. When I thanked them and told them that I had made it, they went nuts. It was really sweet. They were so enthusiastic and impressed. It made my day.  This younger generation seems so passionate about fiber arts and the old fashioned ways.  It warms my heart.

The cashier asked me if I sell them. I do sell  sweaters and hand knits on Etsy. It takes a significant amount of time, energy, and yarn to make one, so they are expensive. The price for a raglan sweater like this one would be very high because the yarn is doubled. Sometimes you can find yarn on sale, though. It could also be knit in a single strand of a chunky yarn. I was so fortunate to be given such a large amount of this grey yarn; the hanks were huge!

Final fitting before blocking

After soaking the turtleneck in water for about an hour, I spun it dry in my Nina Spin Dryer. I then carefully laid it out on my Meyer Lemon Tree, avoiding the thorns.  I was amazed at how quickly it dried. It only took a few hours, out in the fresh air.  I was able to wear it to my knitting group that afternoon. I think this is my new favorite sweater. I've been living in it.  How are you? Is it cold where you live?  I hope you are staying warm and comfortable.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the comments here, please share them.    

17 comments:

  1. That looks great Stephanie! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A novel idea to hang over the lemon tree, I have plenty of those. A teen was quite taken with my basket when I purchased my fruit and veg at the greengrocer this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Yes, I get compliments from the younger generation all of the time. They are so enthusiastic about knitting and crocheting. Glad to hear that you do, too.

      Delete
  3. you'll have to get someone to take a photo of you in it so we can see the full jumper, it looks good & love the tight stitching, all the more to keep warm, still not knitting here, the humidity is killing us, i've done nothing but sweat this past week.
    have a merry christmas & a happy & safe new year
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I will. I know what you mean about not wanting to knit sweaters in the sweltering heat. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sweater!
    Patricia/Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, Thank you for the compliment and for commenting. It's exciting to wear...

      Delete
  5. The sweater looks beautiful and you look great in it. Grey suits your coloring. I love your drying rack! I will have to try that technique over my lavender bushes this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. I feel like grey is one of my colors, and I love that this is natural, undyed yarn. I think I'm veering in that direction for future sweaters. Let me know how the outdoor drying works for you. I like how the air comes up from underneath the garment.

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful Stephenie. How lovely to wear something you made by your own hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. Yes, it makes me feel very happy and satisfied.

      Delete
  7. How lovely, I'd only ever seen Carbeth as a cardigan, as Selina says I too would love to see a nice photo of the full jumper, the detailing is gorgeous. I truly believe that more and more ppl are knitting and sewing their own garments now, it's become quite the fashion! Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Thank you. Yes, I love the simplicity of it. People do seem to really appreciate handmade clothing these days. It's nice. I will post a better photo once I have one. Enjoy your Christmas and New Year..,

      Delete
  8. That looks so warm and snuggly. Perfect for the time of year. It's not too cold here at the moment but very grey and damp. Roll on Spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I love this time of year. The temperatures are perfect. It's cold enough in the mornings and evenings to wear hand knits.

      Delete