Thursday, December 13, 2018

Finished The Christmas Socks!



Yesterday I finished the Christmas socks; I'm really pleased with the fit.  The ribbing makes them feel nice and spongy. I am getting more used to doing this style of heel and gusset now. I stuck to a short row heel for many years. I like both of them. The more you practice a technique, the easier and more natural it becomes.  The sock yarn is Austermann. It's hand dyed. I absolutely love it.

I spent quite a while this afternoon untangling my poor, neglected Carbeth sweater. It had slid off of the circular needles while sitting in my bag for the past month. It took me a couple of hours to backtrack, put all of the stitches back on the needles, and to find the join. I had actually been knitting in the wrong direction for a while. Unbelievable. Because there are two balls of yarn, it was more complicated to organize.

I was feeling very reluctant to continue with this project. I toyed with the idea of ripping it all out and starting over from the top. (Well from the bottom, since it's a bottom up pattern.)  I realized that doing so would have been crazy. I am so closed to being finished. I figured out why I was having trouble. I had used the safety pin style markers, instead of the small circles. I didn't do the decreases on each side of the sleeve, because I didn't see the markers right in front of me on the needles. I also misinterpreted the pattern.  I was distracted and yakking at one of my knitting groups.


I said a prayer for some help, and things went along swimmingly. The yarn feels incredibly luscious. It is so soft and warm. I think it must be hand spun.  (There is no label.)  It is going to be the most divine sweater. It should be finished with it in the next few days. It is cold, (well, cold for California,) and I can't wait to wear it! I will post photos.   

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

12 comments:

  1. Hand made socks are wonderful to wear aren't they. I must get on and finish and=other pair as I bought loads of gorgeous sock yarn. Which heal method do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I love the fit of a shotr row heel, but have been making the other style for practice, too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely socks, your companion is looking so content, love the vintage/vintage style tins in the second photo.
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. She is a sweetie. I've had those vintage tins for twenty years. The are so handy.

      Delete
  3. your socks look wonderful & festive!
    shame about your cardi, having same problem with my commissioned cardi too, sleeves not fitting properly & will likely have to undo them.
    i don't take any of my big items of knitting to the craft group precisely cos of the yakking & not concentrating, usually have to undo whatever i i got done.
    stay warm over the weekend
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, That's too bad about your cardigan. Mine is actually a pullover. It is nearly finished!

      Delete
  4. Those Christmas socks are beautiful Stephenie.
    I still wear the socks you made. It's a bit cold here and they keep my feet warm nicely. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Christmas socks Stephenie. But Lula does not seem to be too impressed does she? What a sweet doggie. I am frustrated with a lace shawl right now. I don't have enough yarn to finish the inside lace and the instructions for the lace border are intimating. It may be frogged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. She is a love. Lace shawls can be very complex and they take a lot of yarn. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with yours.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nil, I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying those purple wool socks. It really helps to keep your feet warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Christmas socks!
    Beautiful day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the socks, so glad the sweater disaster did not turn out worse. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete