Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Quiet Day At Home



Today sped by... I was busy cooking, bathing, knitting, reading, and studying dividend stock videos on Youtube.  The time just flew.  It's already getting dark.

I even started knitting again.  I had been  feeling like I could no longer do it.  I decided to attempt something easy, darning.  I climbed up on a chair and pulled out my sock yarn from the top shelf of my closet.  I couldn't remember which box it was in, but I quickly found it.  I matched the remaining balls to my gloves and hand knit socks.  They all had small holes that were opening wider and wider. It had been worrying me.  I darned them quickly and carefully.  It was so satisfying.  They look and feel like new items of clothing now.  They have hand woven patches.  Using the matching yarn makes all the difference.  You don't notice it.


I also mended the armpit of one of my favorite cashmere sweaters.  I used some blue embroidery floss that blends in well with the cable knit design.  This is the second time I have sewed together that seam.  The sweater is twenty years old, and is still very warm and soft.  I am so happy to have it fixed and ready to wear.  I will wash it by hand tonight. 

I put some of the decorations from my parents' house in my bedroom and garden.  In the photo above is the bedding from my old room.  I love her taste.  I tried to hang the lace curtains, but they are starting to shred.  I will see what I can do.  I may have to replace them.



Her patio had so many cute little figurines.  I adore these little fairies.  They really give the cottage a magical feel.  I think she would like how everything fits in here.  She was so meticulous with her home.

What did you do today?  Have you been staying in, too?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a  few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. That all looks lovely, and what great mementos of your parents's place. Darning and mending is so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, earthmotherwithin. I'm darning another pair of socks today.

      Delete
  2. I love the figurines in your garden. I’d like to add a couple of figurines to mine, but didn’t find them at a reasonable price yet.

    Today I cleared a section of the back fence. It looks a lot better now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the photo on your blog, Nil. It looks great.

      Delete
  3. Good for you to keep your hands busy in such a positive and productive way.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. Sock knitting is one of my favorite hobbies. You get something warm and beautiful when you are finished, too.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that you had a good day, today, Stephenie. That lamp in your bedroom is lovely and so are the statues in your garden. You did well to darn your handknits and mend your cashmere sweater.

    I have started to knit another pair of socks. I accidentally felted one of my other pairs of socks! I have since tried to soak and stretch them, but, I wasn't very successful. So, while I figure out what to do with the felted pair, I will knit a new pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. A friend of mine who is a gymnast and ice skater gave me the lamp. I'm sorry to hear about your socks. My dad's housekeeper felted two pair of alpaca socks that I had knit for him. It's very upsetting to see them after it's happened. Enjoy knitting your new pair.

      Delete
  5. Hi Stephenie. I am working on a piece of embroidery each afternoon. I'm not very good at it yet but with a lot of practise I'll be able to decorate some tablecloths. Stay safe and warm. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really fun, Cherie. I am sitting out on the front porch wearing a sweater, scarf, and hand knit shawl.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you got your darning done. I recently took care of that chore myself. Glad to have a couple pairs of my favorite socks back in use. Those fairies are perfect, perfect for your cottage:-) How enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lady Lovust. I love fairies. They are so ethereal. Doesn't it feel great to have the socks darned?

      Delete
  7. My knitting mojo is gone, but I feel it starting to come back home! I love the garden fairies! We have a few pieces of whimsy in our front courtyard and in the back yard. I think I will use this weekend to wash and store away my winter knits. There is always some chore to do at home isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is, Anita. I am still wearing my knits every day. It's still chilly here.

      Delete
  8. How comforting to be surrounded by these precious items. I might need to start a new knitting project if I'm spending more time at home. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I think that's a great idea. Knitting is such a comfort during difficult times.

      Delete