Thursday, March 12, 2020

Changing Your Travel Plans Due To The Corona Virus

Mallorca


I just called NCL and opted out of the coastal cruise that I had booked with them for next month.  It was set to depart from Los Angeles, sail through San Francisco, and then end in Vancouver.  They sent us a letter stating that with their new Peace of Mind Policy, we could get a 100% credit towards a future cruise.  It has to be booked within a year, and must be used by December of 2022.

I already had made a reservation for a transatlantic cruise in 2021, so if the situation is resolved, I will apply it towards that trip.  I have a travel insurance policy, as well, but it's just basic coverage.  From what I've read, a pandemic is not covered.  I would rather take another cruise at some point, anyway.  I was really looking forward to this one, especially cruising under the Golden Gate Bridge!  Oh well...

I sent an email to the kennel where Lula stays, and explained the situation.  I hope their business isn't suffering too greatly.  This Corona virus in really having a domino effect on people, businesses, and stocks.  I just don't feel safe getting on a cruise ship right now, though. 

One of my dancer friends is working as a choreographer in Europe, and he wrote to me that he is desperately trying to get a flight back home to Canada.  Another dancer/writer that I worked with at Dancer Magazine is out floating on a cruise ship near Japan.  No one will allow them into port.  They were supposed to fly home, and then the plans were revoked.  It must be so scary to be in that situation.  They are so far from home.  I am saying prayers for both them and all of the other people affected by this virus.

How about you?  Have you changed any travel plans?  I feel lucky to be able to stay at home, to have a stockpile, and to be able to work remotely.   Life is uncertain.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

16 comments:

  1. Stephenie, you are wise to change your travel plans.

    I too decided not to go home this year. Mom asked me not to come, and she wouldn’t say that lightly as she always looks forward to my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nil. I think many of us are in the same boat. Imagine if you had not been able to get back home, and return to work. It's just safer to wait until there is a solution, I think. Your mom sounds sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How crazy everything is. I feel sorry for those stranded. I feel sorry for the businesses trickling down the monetary ill-effect from people having to stay at home. That is great the cruise line is so accommodating. This will be a good study in the future, to look back and see if it is more dangerous than the usual flu. We shop at Costco so we normally have ample supplies. I'm not stockpiling. We just are taking one day at a time to see if we can go on our planned trips next month. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too, Andrea. It's really been a shock. I think it may be like this for a while. Amtrak gave me a full refund for the train ticket. They are waiving their fees if you need to cancel. That's a relief.

      Delete
  4. I think you are both wise to change your travel plans. My half sister goes on several cruises each year and when I heard about the virus out break, I called her to say that I was glad she was home (she had recently returned from a cruise a few weeks earlier!) I'm glad you were home from your cruise, too, Stephenie, and have changed your plans for another cruise. Staying close to home during these uncertain times is probably the best thing to do.

    As for me, I have no travel plans, do have a stockpile, and can stay at home quite happily if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, after hearing what happened to my friends, I did not feel safe cruising or flying anywhere at this time. I love the comforts of home, and being with my sweet dog, Lula. I'm glad that you are happy at home, and so well prepared.

      Delete
  5. YOu have made the right decision. Hopefully this will soon pass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, earthmotherwithin. I hope that it will pass, too.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a sensible decision to me. I am hoping that they cancel Tony's football match next week. To think of thousands and thousands of people getting together must surely increase everyone's risk of contracting the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would go, Cherie. I hope they cancel it. It makes good sense right now to be cautious.

      Delete
  7. Very wise and I am sure you wouldn't have enjoyed it, what with worrying about it all. I do feel for businesses though - they will take a global hammering.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for the businesses, too. I had to cancel the hotel, dog kennel, train trip, and cruise.

      Delete
  8. We were planning to visit Uluru, in the heart of Australia, during the Winter time but have decided not to book anything now. Things are too uncertain. Sadly, many businesses are/will be impacted and so I especially hope that those who can will support local businesses and families as much as possible. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Meg. I just had lunch at our local Mexican restaurant. I want to keep them going during this time. I normally do not eat out, except when I'm traveling.

      Delete
  9. I think you made the correct decision with the cruise. I feel so sorry for the businesses and employees affected by this situation; especially the small, local businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Anita. I am doing my best to support them.

      Delete