Monday, March 23, 2020

Faith in the Abundance of Fruit Trees

These are some of the berries and a small fig tree that I just put in the ground
 
I have one more fruit tree to dig into the ground, an Anna Apple.  It's a variety that grows well in Santa Clarita.  It feels good to be working towards the future by planting fruit trees and vegetables.  The more I can shop at home in my garden,  the better.  I have small potted  live herbs in my kitchen window sill.  Some of the ones I planted in the potager garden  last year have made it through the winter.  Meals taste so much better with the  fresh sage, rosemary, and lemon thyme.  I picked up some small containers of green oregano, peppermint,  and basil, too.   I love the tiny leaves.

My neighbors had told me that our local stores were out of many of the basics.  I had done a big shop at Costco before the virus became an issue, so I was pretty well set.  When you buy in bulk, and you live alone, you don't have to shop as often as those who are feeding growing children.  I picked up an extra bag of dog food for Lula, and a second bag of French roast coffee beans for me.  I keep canned milk in the cupboard in case of an emergency.  At least with that I know that I can savor my morning cup of steaming hot coffee!  That means the world to me.


The ruby red grapefruit tree is covered with blossoms and some green fruit

I decided to see how things were going up in Wrightwood, at the cabin.  I stopped by their local grocery store, and was excited and relieved to find that they had everything, except toilet paper.  There were signs limiting people to one bag of sugar, flour, and other staples.  I bought a bag of Granny Smith apples, a head each of cabbage  and lettuce, a few onions, and some canned tomatoes and tomato paste.

I also purchased some pasta and sauce, for convenience.  I went home and made a tuna and noodles casserole, like my mom used to make.  I seasoned it with plenty of white pepper; that was always her trick.  It tasted so satisfying.  This is an opportune time to enjoy home cooking and baking from scratch.  It gives us a feeling of comfort.  I am doing all I can to avoid the creeping emotion of sick dread.  It takes effort and discipline.

I chatted on the phone with my close friend Mark, in New York.  He told me about the groceries that he had bought, and mentioned that there was plenty of food in the stores there.  He is able to work from home, and is still getting paid, so that's a relief.   I talked with a few of my neighbors, and was pleased to hear that they are all doing well, too.   

Do you have enough food?  How are you feeling during these challenging times?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're doing well. We have lots of food - our freezer is well stocked, our pantry too and we're powering thru what we have in the fridge. There is some panic buying here but mostly those who go to Costco. I've avoided that store since this started, so we haven't had any issues getting food. We had tons of toilet paper too as we usually buy that about twice a year when there is a really good sale. I fill up the linen closet in the Spring and the Fall. We have extra Advil and Tylenol, tons of Vitamin D3, our daily Vitamins, Oil of Oregano tablets, extra puffers and other Asthma meds, just in case. Cold FX. Tons of Vitamin C. A new thermometer too. I feel we're well prepared. Just scared. Terribly, terribly scared.

    Stay well. Keep writing!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound extremely well prepared, Chy. That's wonderful. I don't have a thermometer. I do have a feverfew plant in my front garden, though. It's in bloom. Maybe I should save the flowers and dry them. It makes such a difference to have plenty of food and supplies.

      Delete
  2. Day by day things change so we are listening to the Govt and State leaders advice. It certainly is turning the world upside down and shaking it about however if we all do our bit we will come out stronger in the end. Stay safe, Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Everything has slowed down, that's for sure. I noticed that there is far less pollution here, with people staying home. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you are planting more fruit trees in your garden! Very soon, you might not need to buy any fruits, at all! I'm glad the grocery store you went to was well stocked. You sound like you are well prepared.

    I have a well stocked pantry and there's plenty of stuff in the freezer, too. I have a good supply of toilet paper and paper towels, too. I might run short of a few things like fresh eggs after a few weeks, but, I'll cross those bridges when I get to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Bless. It all depends on the weather, and how strong the trees are. All of this rain has been such a blessing. I'm glad that you are well stocked. I used to keep eggs in the freezer. I would crack them into ice cube trays for baking.

      Delete
  4. Your grapefruit tree...beautiful! And you will have more fruit in the future with your berries and tree plantings. (I love figs!! My fig trees are having trouble growing). Due to the deer, I can't grow berries but I hear they don't eat fig leaves so hopefully not figs. So true about Costco...lol. I have plenty of coffee right now (and we also bought canned milk) so I'm happy. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Andrea. I can't imagine running out of coffee or cream. (canned milk works just as well for me.) I am excited about the new fruit trees. The old ones have been so abundant and faithful. Glad to hear that you are happy...that's the spirit.

      Delete
  5. It is a worrying time, although I was relieved to find the supermarket shelves were almost back to normal when I visited this morning for a few essentials. They are no longer open 24 hours which is providing an opportunity for cleaning and restocking. I'm thankful to have a well stocked food cupboard, although I wish I'd had chance to pick up some gardening items before the lockdown began. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I'm glad that you have a well stocked cupboard. I know, I was so relieved to find seeds, vegetable plants, and fruit trees at the Tractor Supply. They are considered a grocery store, because they sell a small amount of food. (mostly snack type things...)

      Delete
  6. Ruby grapefruit, I love those. You so lucky to live in a climate where other things than cabbage grow! Ok, I am exaggerating... we have apple trees, a plum and a pear tree, and also a quince tree. They are all dwarf root stock but just right for us. We have enough food and I am sure there is a limit to the stockpiling people can do, and then shelves will be restocked. I read today that food waste is increasing because people buy more fresh produce than they can eat... Keep well and enjoy the gardening you have still planned x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, That's too bad. I eat everything I purchase. It's all very carefully planned. If I am afraid something might go bad, I freeze it. We are required to have two weeks of food and water stored in America. It is so helpful in times like these...

      Delete
  7. Plannung and planting in your garden is such a wonderful way to increase self-reliance and also, when there's abundance, to share with friends and neighbours. When those berries fruit they'll be delicious. I grow lots of fresh herbs too, Stephanie. Last night I made another batch of split-pea soup with bay, thyme and parsley from our garden. Such amazing flavour and inexpensive when you grow them yourself too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ruby grapefruit. Your garden is doing so well. All your hard work is paying off.

    I too have lots of canned and frozen food. I have fresh vegetables enough for a week or so, and I placed an online order that should arrive this Thursday.

    Like you I also buy in bulk. It’s so convenient, especially at a time like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have ample food and sundries here for just the 2 of us. Luckily I am a bit scatterbrained and would often forget to check the TP cabinet before doing the dreaded grocery shopping so we do have a supply since I would buy more "just in case". I am envious of your ruby grapefruit tree-I love grapefruit and we just don't have the space for one. Our raspberry cane is growing really well in its pot as is the blueberry bush. I planted our summer garden seeds yesterday. Stay safe and healthy and give Lula a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete