Saturday, March 7, 2020

Going Through Your Parents' Things

Yesterday I drove back home with another car load full of items that once belonged to my parents.  It's been a long  and tiring day today.  I am slowly getting rid of things at the cabin that are not my style, or that I'm not using, and replacing them with gorgeous items  that belonged to my mom.  She had impeccable taste.

I redid the tiny upstairs bathroom today, and am so pleased with how it looks.  I replaced the 1950's curtains that were dusty, heavy, and dark green.  In their place, I hung some cream colored lace curtains.  They look so light and feminine.

I put a lovely rose quartz stone lamp on top of the vintage toilet.  I gives a warm glow to the room.  I also hung a pretty print with roses that my mom had in her home. 

I draped a pink shawl I have over the light fixture.  It gives the room some texture and is a lovely shade of pink. 

I also hung up my favorite towels from my parents' master bathroom.  They are a soft, pale green, with pink flowers.  My mom had them just for decoration.  They are still in perfect condition.  She took such good care of her things. 

The little bathroom upstairs is now totally transformed.  I adore it.  I even keep the door open, to show it off to people when they climb up to the bedrooms.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   

16 comments:

  1. It sounds beautiful Stephanie. I love lace curtains. You are right, they add a nice feminine touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, Nil. I love how they look from the outside, too. I always admire them from the street when I am walking Lula. It's such a pretty contrast.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories transferred to your house! And now your cabin/house is your "home"! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. It is getting there. There is still a lot of sorting and swapping out to do...

      Delete
  3. It can be really difficult to sort through the entire home of loved ones. You need happy little moments and memories like the look of a bathroom in order to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been tiring, LL. The bathroom is very uplifting and encouraging. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are turning the cabin into your own home, little by little. :) Your bathroom sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has a lot more personal items now, Bless. It makes such a difference.

      Delete
  5. It must be lovely to make use of these items which clearly hold some precious memories for you, and also to add a more personal touch to your cabin. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It really does bring in a new and exciting vibration. My mom was a master homemaker.

      Delete
  6. That sounds beautiful. It must be a delight to be able to decorate it to your own taste using things that belonged to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Cherie. I think she would love it.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful you are able to put your favorite things into your new favorite place.

    My father passed away last week so my sister and I will be adding some precious things to our homes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My condolences, Anita. It is comforting to have their treasures in our homes.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you are getting so much done with your estate and your new home. Leaving things to another friend is a good idea. Glad the bathroom is finished and that you are getting things done the way you want them. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mereknits. It is motivating me to donate the pots and pans from the cabin to the Salvation Army. Bit by bit...

      Delete