Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Who Will Inherit Your House?

Today I met with the woman who wrote my trust.  We were redoing some things since my dad  passed away last year.  I  replaced a couple of people handling the financial side of things.

As we were reviewing the new trust, she told me, "Well, the way it reads now, if something happens to your friend, The Salvation Army will inherit your cottage and its contents."  I freaked out.  "YOU want me to leave money to charity!" I exclaimed.  "I am not comfortable having The Salvation Army in here.  "I will give  money and time to charity while I'm alive," I told her.  And I do...  

There were some tense moments and an explanation of taxes, limitations, and IRS rules.  It was decided that I will leave my house to another close friend if something happens to the first  person.  She is ten years older than I am. 

I'm telling you this so that it doesn't happen to you.  Can you imagine?  What a disaster that would have been.  I have spent a lot of money and time working to get all of my must have documents done correctly.  Thank God she told me.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, I never thought about that! I still didn’t get my will done, though I have beneficiaries for all my bank and retirement accounts.
    Thanks for this timely post, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you thought about putting your house and accounts in a trust, Nil?

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's important to really understand everything well. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is, Judee. Communication is a must, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-that is a good story for all of us to review our paperwork periodically; especially after a life altering event. As we move my beloved father through the hospice stage of his life I know I will be facing the same type of situations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, and when you are upset about losing a parent, it can be hard to concentrate and focus. It helps to have it all arranged in advance. Now I see why they say that widows are very vulnerable to losing money right after their husbands die. I think the same thing goes for adult children.

      Delete
  5. Suze Orman was on our PBS station last night. So informative! Does your state hand over estates to the Salvation Army if unclaimed? When our kids were young, we had trust funds. Now we just have a will but will change it when one of us dies to an living trust or something like that...can't remember but Suze Orman talked about it once. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great that you saw the special. No, I had listed them as a charity. It was an oversight that I needed an alternate after my friend. (in case something happens to her.)

      Delete
  6. It's good that you reviewed all your documents to make sure that everything is as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I feel much better, having it done.

      Delete
  7. A very good reminder. We need to update ours. We did sit down and write out specifics but have not gone in for an appt. How fortunate that yours was 'caught' while you were there and could take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness you are vigilant with your paper work Stephenie. What a shock it would have been to hear such news about your trust. Thank you for the reminder to keep up to date with our paperwork.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Thanks, I have to be. I am relieved that it got straightened out.

      Delete
  9. It's wise to get everything in order and to review it periodically. That way you can get on with enjoying life. I must get my will sorted this year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, That's true. I hope you get yours done.

      Delete
  10. About 8 yrs ago my husband and I sat down with an Estate Attorney and took care of this. We had a review last year and we changed some things. I have an appointed Trustee after our deaths that will handle what we decided. Everything down to HIPPA forms and end of life decisions are taken care of. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete