Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Taking Positive Action While We Are Staying Home Due To The Pandemic



I think most of us are feeling anxious and worried during this pandemic.  I watched a video on Youtube with John Edward this afternoon.  He used to be a ballroom dancer.  I have always enjoyed his readings.  Listening to him  made me feel much better about the situation.  He believes that it will last until June.  I can deal with that; we shall see...Things have changed so drastically.

Today I planted more rhubarb, and the Anna apple tree.  I also whacked back my Valencia orange tree.   I was afraid that it was dead, but then saw a tiny green leaf sprouting on one of the branches that I had thrown in the bin.  Perhaps the tree will recover and  come back?  I am going to leave it in the ground, and see if it springs back to life.  It looks like it has fire blight.  It's strange; all of the branches look like they have been burned.  At least my other citrus trees are doing well.  They are so green and fruitful.


I have been knitting each day on this pair of socks.  I absolutely love the yarn.  It's by Austermann, my favorite brand of fancy sock yarn.  I made a pair of leg warmers with this wool, originally.  They were pretty, but I never wore them.  So, I unraveled them, and started this  pair of socks.  I wear hand knit socks every single day.  They are so warm and practical.

It's been lovely sitting out on the porch each day.  We are getting more sunshine.  I have been making some fruit tea that I had in the cupboard.  I re-use the tea; it really holds its flavor well.  I made this tea cozy a couple of years ago.  It's Noro Silk Garden yarn.  That dog figurine belonged to my mom.  She used it as a door stop.  I love the shape of it.     
 

Are you doing okay where you are?   I know this is a challenging time for all of us.  I have been chatting with some of my neighbors.  It's interesting to hear everyone's take on the situation.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


22 comments:

  1. Very nice socks! And your lemons! You'll appreciate, later, getting all of that planting done. We have a tree out in the woods that looks like it was burned. We are guessing it is a mold. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, too, Andrea. There is still more planting to be done. I am waiting until after Easter to put in the zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers. It's strange when trees get that burnt look. Citrus can often come back after a fire, frost, or hard pruning. I will give it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting will be a nice thing to do which is relaxing in these stressful times. Stay safe. Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. That is true. Plus, you have something warm and beautiful to wear or gift when you are finished. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I love the colors of your sock yarn. Very pretty.
    We have citrus greening disease in Florida, it destroys all types of citrus. So we never know if a tree is going to make it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I love those colors, too. Thanks. I have been lucky with all of my other citrus plants. One year we had a hard frost, and my Meyer lemon tree turned brown. I cut it way back, and it came back and is producing lemons again. It just took a while.

      Delete
  5. I'm good, thanks. The internet keeps me in contact with loved ones and friends so blessings be upon the creators of such helpful hard and software. I'm structuring my day and keep myself occupied with a range of things. It's quite good fun really.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joy. Can you imagine how this would be without the Internet? It's really amazing what we can do. Good for you for structuring your day. I need to make a list and get my housework done.

      Delete
  6. I hope your orange tree comes back after the pruning. You are going to enjoy lots of fruit when your newly planted trees start producing! Nice crop of lemons, too. :)

    Lovely socks! You made them nice and long.

    I'm glad you are having sunshine - it rained, here, today, in the afternoon. Good for the garden, of course.

    I'm doing OK, thank you. Wishing my daughter was here so I could fuss over her, rather than worry about her being up there, alone, but, she's doing well, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I do sixty rows of ribbing before starting the short row heel. Yes, all of this rain has been amazing for the garden. I am so thankful. I'm glad that your daughter is doing well.

      Delete
  7. Those socks look so cosy and warm, do you have a favourite pattern when you knit socks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, It's a basic sock pattern from my knitting teacher that I tweaked. I think since I changed it slightly, I can post it here on the blog. You can do whatever heel you prefer, but I used a short row heel this time. That's what she taught me, and I love the fit and look.

      Delete
  8. The sock yarn is lovely. What a great idea to repurpose your legwarmers.
    At the moment I'm even more relieved than usual that I am quite happy as long as my basic needs are met. Simple pleasures are the best.
    Stay well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel, too, Jules. Life has become much simpler. It is scary to read the news, but it makes me grateful for my situation. It also motivates me to stay home, too.

      Delete
  9. Your socks are beautiful. I must get back to my knitting happy place. I am eager to hear about your experience with growing rhubarb. I love rhubarb, but did not think it would grow well here because it needs much colder winters. Not that I have the space for it anyway! I planted my summer vegetable seeds on Monday. We are doing quite well here. I limit my exposure to the internet and news to the bare minimum which is the best way for me to cope in these unusual times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sock yarn but even more so the Noro Silk Garden yarn. Noro has a way with yarns that just makes me swoon. It is far too early to start planting here in the West of Scotland, we still have night frosts and the ground is saturated with water. Soon I hope. I am grateful to have a big garden. Sadly no citrus trees but apples are ok, too. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been knitting too, Stephanie. I am using a worsted weight organic yarn to make a simple shawl. I actually started this shawl last Autumn and decided to pick it up again. It's in a colour called Jasper which reminds me of the shadowy green of the deep sea. Your sock yarn is lovely. Such pretty colours.

    I think there are many positive things we can do in our homes that can help us during such a surreal time. Knitting, reading, baking, watering the garden, stitching, listening to music or a podcast, sitting out on the lawn with our dog, watching bees visit flowers ...

    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your yarn sounds really pretty, Meg. I love knitting with worsted weight yarn. I agree with you about the many positive things we can do in our homes right now. I am so thankful for my cottage.

      Delete
  12. I used to watch John Edwards all the time, and funny enough, I also watched a youtube video of his this week where he talked about it lasting through end of May/June.

    I know I can make it, as long as I can continue to buy the food I need, and toilet paper lol

    Glad you're doing well and staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you are doing well, too, Sandra. I really like John Edward.

      Delete
  13. You have a pretty spot to sit and sip tea, and I like the colorful socks you are knitting. I have quite a collection of fun socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. It's so comfortable out there. I sit and soak in nature, and chat with my neighbors.

      Delete