Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Adjusting To Pandemic Life



I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine in New York the other day, and he told me that he actually kind of enjoys wearing his mask now.  I have gotten used to it, too.  It's become part of the daily routine.  I washed a few of them yesterday in the  machine with a load of laundry.  They dried quickly out  in the sunshine, on the clothesline.

I have been having trouble with my hot water heater lately.  It's only five years old, but the water has been cold.  I saw that the pilot light was out, and was able to relight it.  At first it was unsuccessful, but then I heard the "whoosh!"  I took a hot bath today for the first time in ages.  It was such a treat.  I added some epsom salts and used a bar of my homemade soap.  I had a bad batch of soap that I screwed up over a year ago experimenting with hot processed salt soaps.  Anyway, it is now the most lovely, mild soap that I have ever used!  I'm so glad that I didn't throw it away!  The bars look crumbly, but they work, and their lather is superb!    


I painted my fingernails this afternoon, for the first time in ages.  I picked up a couple of bottles of pretty rose colored nail polish at the drug store this afternoon.  Next I will do a pedicure.  My friend and I were saying how our grooming has kind of gone by the wayside since the virus hit.  I never wear make-up anymore.  It feels nice to have a new haircut and my nails done, though.  The little things do make a difference.

I finished up the leftover turkey tacos, and plan to make a batch of chicken fajitas with guacamole tomorrow.  I find that eating delicious, homemade meals  really cheers me up.  Chicken breasts were marked down to 1.00 a pound at Vons today!  I was thrilled.  I have just been buying what's on sale, grocery wise, and it's working out very well.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


  

22 comments:

  1. I only wear my mask when I visit the supermarket but I’m so used to now that I often forget to remove it when I leave. I think most of us have adjusted quicker than we anticipated.
    I’m glad you’re able to use up your soap. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Jules. Sometimes I still have it in when I'm driving alone in the car.

      Delete
  2. Those chicken breasts were a bargain. I would be tempted to have a mammoth cooking session and fill my freezer with curries and casseroles. Perfect for reheating after a walk in that stunning woodland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I might go pick up another package, Cherie. I baked them with olive oil, fresh herbs, salt and pepper this morning. They can be used in so many different dishes.

      Delete
  3. Keep focussing on the little things which make you happy! They all add to our sense of luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, emw. Watching that Balanchine documentary was so inspiring. I love the music.

      Delete
  4. Your home made soap sounds lovely - good for you for not throwing it out. I'm also glad you have sorted out the hot water.

    I'm getting used to wearing a mask although I do feel short of breath at times. I check I'm distanced, pull it down, take a few deep breaths and then replace it and that seems to help a lot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. So am I. I was worried that I would have to call and pay a plumber. Gas and propane appliances are all pretty much the same.

      I do the same thing on challenging bike rides with my mask.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading of your "pandemic life" because it brings a sense of normalcy to see regular day-to-day life. Very pretty photos...serene. When I look back at memories with my relatives (grandmas especially)most revolve around their delicious meals! Yesterday I was thinking of the good that came out of being forced to stay home more...more family time, less materialism due to not going out much to shop, etc. Of course there is a lot of bad, but you can sometimes gleam some good out of a bad situation. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Delicious meals really make me feel happy and grateful. I have learned a lot from books written during the Great Depression. Our grocery stores have had some excellent sales, which makes cooking very exciting and fulfilling.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you were able to get the hot water heater re-lit and enjoyed a nice, hot bath. You got a very good deal on those chicken breasts! Chicken fajitas sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It felt divine to soak in those epsom salts! Chicken fajitas are easy and festive. I will make guacamole, too.

      Delete
  7. I remember when we first started wearing the masks. It was so odd. It was odd seeing others wear it, and it was odd and uncomfortable wearing it. Like you said though it's something you get use to. Right now I feel like it protects me from the sun. =) With that and my hat, I'm all set.
    Are those pictures of where you live? It is beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Kari. The First Lady I saw wearing a mask was from China. We were on a cruise together in the Mediterranean. Yes, these photos are in Wrightwood, California. It's a lively place...so natural.

      Delete
  8. You got a great deal on those chicken breasts. I too try to buy things on sale, and things that are $2/pound or less. I noticed that prices have gone up.

    I hope you are well away from the wildfires. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It was a great deal. They are delicious, too.

      Delete
  9. I am happy to read you now have hot water. Makeup?? What is that?? Haha. It must have been disappointing to have a soap disaster, but fulfilling to still be able to put the result to good use. Excellent price on chicken by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, Anita. I haven't been wearing make-up, either.

      Delete
  10. Welcome,thank you for visiting and writing comments,greetings from Ania

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rose anything. Rose oil, rosehip oil, scent, soaps. Such a beautiful smell. I hope to get a rose deodorant, which I know will be too expensive for a deodorant, but..... I'm off shopping soon. the wind is so icy that I don't want to go out. And I shall be wearing a mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, swami. I just bought some rose deodorant the other day. The scent is a little strong for my taste. Oh well.

      Delete