Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Going Through Your Parents' Things

I have those angel candles above my fireplace now.  Her sleigh bells now hang on my door.


My parents' house sold and we have closed.  This is the ending of an era.  I took photos of all of the rooms after my mom died.  I wanted to remember how it looked with her magic touch.  She had such a talent for decorating and the home. 

My brother got rid of all the antiques and staged the house.  It sold very quickly.  It looks completely different now- very modern.  I wish I could have taken some of the furniture, but I wasn't able to have it moved in the deep snow.  He was in a big hurry and wouldn't wait.

I did take bring home that little pink wreath.   It's hanging  on the front door of my cottage.  It's so soft and sweet.  I put many of my mom's animal figurines in the garden up at the cabin.  They look so happy there.  She would love it.  I have the lace curtains, too.



I wrapped some of the mirrors in terry cloth towels, and hung them in my home.  They bring back so many memories.  I used to polish the antiques and wipe the glass clean  every week as a girl. 

I am so glad that I took photos of everything.  It's a good idea to document what your parents have while they are alive.  If there are any disagreements about the value of their possessions, you have proof.  It's also helpful to have in case of a break in or theft during a move.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


18 comments:

  1. Good for your heart too - you can say to your brother “Remember when you...” just by seeing one of those photos. Congrats on the sale - especially this year.
    Also was thinking of you- hopefully you are safe from the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LL. It was a relief to get it sold during the virus. It is such a beautiful home. There has been smoke from the fires, but so far we are safe. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Your parents' home was so beautifully furnished! I'm sorry you couldn't get more of the furniture, but, I'm glad you were able to bring some of the smaller items to display in your home. And you have the photographs of the rooms as they were and the memories. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I loved those antiques! They are huge, though. I have smaller pieces from Pasadena in my home. I'm so glad that I took photos of everything.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you have some treasured mementos and photographs. They bring our people alive in our memories after they have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, emw. I am going to buy a new photo album, and get all of the pictures organized.

      Delete
  4. Beatiful pictures,full of memories of your parents and their energy and magic,congratulations and greetings from anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, Thanks for reading and for commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that the house sale went through. It's been a really difficult year for everything hasn't it. That high backed chair and the lace curtains are gorgeous. I do love lace curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, Cherie. They add a lot of charm and character. I love that chair, too. She had two of them. They are so royal. We were very fortunate to be able to get the house sold during these circumstances. The neighborhood is incredible.

      Delete
  6. it's good you got it all sorted, your brother probably didn't want it hanging on or dragging on, prefer the memories when they were alive maybe, who knows, losing loved ones is always sad, glad it went fairly smoothly
    yes, hope you are safe from the fires, sounds like how we were last summer here, though my town was safe.
    stay safe
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, selina. I was concerned about my parents' house during the fires. They were so close to one that was nearby. Fortunately, the sale went through and the new owners can now enjoy it. I remember how excited we were when we first moved in; I was thirteen.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful home, beautiful memories! I enjoyed seeing your pictures. Smart idea to take them. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I'm so glad that I have them. They mean so much to me.

      Delete
  8. I only took one thing from my stepfather's house when he died. It was promised to me. He insisted that I take whatever I wanted, however a very grabby sister took so much instead, so I didn't. I lived with her for a while some years later and to my amazement - she took nearly everything of mine. We do have an archive of family photos with lots of happy times in Mum's houses, so that is very special. So lovely that you do have some physical memories in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Some people can get that way, swami. Death has a strange effect on family members. Fortunately for me, most of what I wanted did not interest my brothers. I found some nice pictures of my favorite aunt and parents when they were children, too. They are so cute, and I have them hanging on my walls.

      Delete
  9. I remember you writing previously how your mother had a talent for decorating the home. It is beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really did, Jules. She spent hours each day on her house, cleaning it, doing laundry, and making delicious dinners.

      Delete