Saturday, September 26, 2020

Daily Discipline During the Pandemic


Today I finished some last minute changes on an article that I'm writing for Peter Glebo and Tommy Tune in New York.  It was quick and easy to add the edits.  I scrutinized their notes on my mini ipad, and carefully typed them in on my desktop.  At this point, it's out of my hands.  I didn't even go back and read the entire article again.  I knew that if I did, I would want to add more shaping and cutting, and they are happy with it the way it is.  I didn't want to disrupt that flow.  I just focused on the list of corrections and additions that they had sent, then read each paragraph that I had rewritten  to check for rhythm and accuracy.  I skipped the stanzas that had already been shaped and formed over many recent hours  and weeks, hit send, and  let it all go.

Glebo and Tune will choose and design the layout,  photos and artwork.  I have a feeling that it is going to be amazing!  I am so excited to see  the finished product.  I told them to work their magic.  One of the thrilling things about theater is that everybody's talent is thrown together in a big pot, and it collect and magnifies into something rich, unexpected  and wonderful. 

I have been holding to the daily discipline of eating well, cooking at home, walking Lula, doing yoga and meditation, and keeping things clean, neat and tidy.  I also stay on a consistent watering schedule with the garden.  The oak trees seem so much happier and stronger now that they are getting irrigated.  I think they were struggling in the heat. 

How is your daily discipline?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. I bet it's lovely to stay connected to your theatre friends in such a productive way. As for being self disciplined, through the week I walk every morning with a friend but not at weekends when Tony is at home. It's nice to snuggle under the duvet and not have to go out in the cold for a walk. My new veggie garden has kept me busy for weeks and hopefully will do until the winter comes along and puts everything to sleep for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Cherie. I did my first show with Tommy when I was twenty-two. That sounds like a pleasant routine.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the edits on the article you have been writing! You sound happy about what you were able to accomplish and that is the main thing, isn't it? That satisfaction of knowing you did a good job. Hope you will be able to share the finished article with us, when it is all done.

    Well done on keeping up with the daily discipline of diet, exercise, cleaning, etc. I should be more disciplined about such things, myself, but, I've become too relaxed about some things! My routines have fallen by the wayside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I can't wait to share the article here. I think you are extremely disciplined. (especially with your housework.)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing the article and sending it off. What a wonderful feeling that is-a sense of accomplishment and pride. Staying on routine is usually no problem for me because that is my nature. Keep us posted with updates on the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will, Anita. I'm so excited to see what they do with the layout, photos, and paintings...the suspense is killing me!

      Delete
  4. It must be exciting finishing your article! I can't wait for you to share it :)
    I'm trying to get back into some kind of routine, Stephenie, I think I was waiting for this state of flux to be over, but of course it's far from over. I needed to accept that everything has changed, pull up my boot straps and get on with things. There is some semblance of routine to our days now including going to the allotment for exercise and fresh air. I try to go about 3 times a week and G just goes when he feels like it so that I can get on with the housework, meal planning, cooking etc. The main difference to before is that I take each day as it comes. Not a bad thing I expect.
    On Sundays I try to do a little crafting whilst listening to show tunes on the radio and I always think of you, Stephenie, and what an exciting life you must have led!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthusiasm about the article, PP. I am so excited to see what they've done with it. You are right, everything has changed, but at least we can keep some of our routines: making coffee or tea, taking a walk, reading, crafting, cooking, etc...Thank you for thinking of me during the show tunes. Those are my favorite! Yes, it was thrilling, and I am very grateful for the opportunities and all of the wonderful people that I met in show business.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your final edit and your self discipline. Like you, I keep active and busy to keep my mind and body alert. I always have a craft project on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. Today is a cleaning day. I need to exercise more self discipline in the decluttering dept. Happy crafting!

      Delete
  6. So excitng about your writing. Daily discipline - something that I usually am very good at, however, recently it's gone a bit haywire. I prefer to be a bit disciplined, I find that it gives me time to have a life. Usually, I'm up just before dawn, and meditate, and it's usually a short one. The make a coffee, do some old fashioned yoga moves for flxibility as I have life long scoliosis and this keeps me pain free. Then some exercise - usually yoga poses or light weights, yoga breathing, then a short walk. Breakfast (porridge) and shower. Quick tidy. Write my blogs or work on other things I'm writing. I often look after my new grandchild here and there, do chores for her mum, catch up with friends, have healing clients. I try to have a quick yoga relax in the afternoons. Evenings need more sorting out of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful schedule to me, ratnamurti.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure your article will be amazing, Stephanie! Your routine seems to suit you well and I do think it's important to keep a rhythm to days when things around us go a little...or a lot...awry. I keep myself on track with a daily list that I scribble out each morning in an old exercise book. I just tick things off as I go along. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Meg. I really need to get back to list making. It gives structure and order.

      Delete
  8. I struggle with keeping things neat and tidy, it's a good thing I don't have a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete