Saturday, September 12, 2020

Fleeing The Fires in California

As most of you know, there are numerous wildfires raging right now in California.  It is a challenge to decide whether to leave or stay put when the areas near your home are burning.  What we didn't anticipate was how many different fires there would be.  They have multiplied at an alarming rate. 

The reason I bought the cabin up in the mountains was to have a refuge someplace cooler to go in the brutally hot summers.  I wanted a location that wasn't so fire prone.  I had noticed that they were accelerating each year in Canyon Country.  Last year the Tick Fire was just a block from my cottage.  It made me nervous.  What if you couldn't get out in time?  I had images of people perishing in their cars in 2011.  We saw that happen in the tragic Paradise Fire, and now it is occurring once again.  

There is currently a fire about thirty miles from our beautiful village of Wrightwood.  It has been spreading rapidly.  I know how quickly the flames can travel.  It makes me afraid to go to sleep at night.  We only have one gas station in town, and there were ten people lined up to use the four pumps early this afternoon.  I got in needing half a tank when there was only one other man there.  It's important to have cash, too. 

I talk regularly with my friends and neighbors, and keep the car loaded up, ready to go at a moment's notice.  Fortunately, Lula and Snow White, (my chicken,) are experienced travelers.  They both enjoy car rides.  

My personal strategy is to leave early.  I don't wait to be evacuated.  Being caught in pandemonium would make me nervous and worried.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  Nothing would frighten me more than to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic during a fast moving fire.  It's important to keep your gas tank full, your car in good repair, and to have plenty of clothing, food and water.    

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   



28 comments:

  1. Stephenie, I have been wondering if any of the fires are near you. Yes, it is important to be prepared, ready to leave at a moment's notice! Hope the fires stay away from your homes and you won't have to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. We haven't had to evacuate. Sometimes I leave anyway, just to be ahead of the crowd. It looks like the fire I was concerned about is being handled well.

      Delete
  2. Stay safe, Stephenie.
    I hope you don’t have to evacuate, but it’s good to be prepared. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. Yes, it's much less stressful to have everything packed and organized. The animals know the routine. I am fortunate to have a second location that is comfortable and safe.

      Delete
  3. Good advice. In Australia we know we always need to be ready to get out if necessary. Have a plan. Stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, emw. The mountain roads are just two lanes, so I am not one to wait to the last minute. I would hate to be stuck in gridlock for hours. That's what happened to my friend last time.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to you and all those affected by these terrible fires. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. I know. There are some heartbreaking stories. It's so important to be in communication with people, so that you know what's going on-the situation can change so quickly.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. We are safe, comfortable, and well fed!

      Delete
  6. It does sound pretty scary and your advice is spot on, I think. Hoping you won;t need to take any action but too early is way better than too late.
    Stay safe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. It's so much easier if you are not rushing around at the last minute in a panic. I approach it more like packing for a vacation. Having the comforts of home makes all the difference.

      Delete
  7. As we know from far to many experiences a wildfire 30 miles away is very close. We were evacuated in 2007 and away from our home for 8 days. For most of those 8 days we did not even know if our home was still standing as several hundred homes burned in our neighborhood. Yes, get out as soon as you feel threatened and always be ready. Please stay safe dear friend Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anita. (especially if the wind picks up or there is lightning.) That's must have been so stressful for you in 2007. I err on the side of caution. I feel so fortunate to have a cozy place to go.

      Delete
  8. It must be terrifying knowing the fire is approaching. Thank God you have managed to get fuel and are prepared to flee. I pray that you will not need to do so Stephenie. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PP. It looks like the fire near me is getting more under control. I still like knowing that everything is packed and ready to move quickly. I am glad that I have my must have documents organized, too.

      Delete
  9. Fire seasons are so hair-raising these days. I was wondering how you were going but know you're very sensible and always have a plan. We have friends in Oregon affected but no loss of property, thankfully. It always seems like it'd be a hard decision to know what to pack for evacuation but when the time comes, you know exactly what and how little to take.

    There's a strong push to eliminate cash from our society in this country but when the electricity fails, as it does in fires, a piece of plastic is utterly useless. Cash is so essential!

    Keep safe, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pipistrello. I do my research, but usually am much more conservative than most of my neighbors. If you decide to stay and wait, sometimes it's too late. Reading some of the horror stories about Oregon really affected me. Having a place to go that has things stocked makes it so much easier. I still keep essentials in the car, as traffic can get intense, and it's so hot. Cash is king!

      Delete
  10. I am glad to read that for now at least you are ok and that the fire you were most concerned about is handled well. Also glad to read that Luna and Snow White are experienced travellers. I cannot begin to imagine how you must feel now, I have never experienced or even faced any disasters such as those terrifying wild fires. Being prepared is essential, at least you won't have to worry about what to take and what to leave when the time comes (and lets hope it doesn't). Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main thing for me is to leave before panic sets in...if you wait, you might not escape. The older I get, the more I see what the essentials are.

      Delete
  11. You are so right to be prepared and to leave early, Stephanie. The bushfires in Australia last year were devastating for so many. Stay safe!
    Xx meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg. It's much less stressful. I remember those fires in Australia. It was shocking.

      Delete
  12. Stay safe! I am in Los Angeles. The closest fire is the Bobcat fire in Angeles Forest. I am not that close, but I am close enough to see the orange glow in mornings and it snowed ashes here a few days ago. It has also been smelling like smoke. I am not close enough to have to evacuate but even so I fan feel the seriousness and I get scared. I hope you stay safe. And I agree, even if you aren't ordered to evacuate it is still better to stay safe than sorry. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. I think so, too, Kari. I hope you stay safe.

      Delete
  13. Will pray! We've been watching on the news. Always smart to leave early. Better safe than sorry! Plus less traffic. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. scary as, Stephenie. Stay safe xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, ratnamurti. We are safe and sound, thanks.

      Delete