Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Gifted Baby Yarn


This morning I dropped off the pink baby blanket to the woman who ordered it. She was pleased, and loved the border. That was such a good lesson for me. "You are good with color," I told her. "I never would have picked those colors, and I really like them together." "Yes, I am good with color," she agreed.  It's always such a good feeling to finish a project and have it in the hands of the customer. I was frustrated that I had to start over because of the mistake that I made, but it was worth it.


My friend Mark sent me this photo of his blanket and scarf. The colors of the two items don't really look good together, but it was so sweet of him to take a picture for me.  He said that it's getting colder in New York, and that he is already putting them to use. I see love seeing the gifts and orders that I have knit in their new location. He told me that he had talked to his mom, and that his niece was wearing her the alpaca throw that I had knit for her grandma. She had it wrapped around her body like a cape, and was running around the house. That made me giggle. Children always seem to feel  and respond enthusiastically to the energy of hand knits.

I showed some of the ladies in one of my knitting groups the baby blanket, and a few of them mentioned that they have baby yarn that they aren't using. They asked me if I would like it. "Yes!" I answered, thrilled. I had just been thinking about stopping by Hobby Lobby to browse through their baby yarn. In the car this morning, my intuition told me, "You probably already know someone who has some  that they don't want."  I have a few leftover balls in my stash. It's Bernat Softee, which I love. It's so soft! It's leftover from a blanket that I made for my neighbor a couple of years ago. She's the one with the dog that I borrow. I remember working on it at my first doctor's appointment for my hip replacement surgery. The baby blue was given to me by a fellow knitter. Between the two of us, it's made two baby blankets already. It was one of those huge oval balls.



Thank you for all of your messages about Lana. She is doing so much better today. I called the vet yesterday afternoon, and he suggested that I try feeding her cottage cheese and rice. Later that afternoon I went to Food For Less and bought a huge bag of white rice, and two large cartons of cottage cheese. She ate a whole bowl full of it last night. At 6:00 p.m. she played a vigorous game of frisbee with me, and then happily went for her walk. She spends most of her time sleeping. The vet prescribed a new medication for her, and it seems to have given her immediate relief. My neighbor has been kind enough to let me borrow her puppy each morning. She's just filled with sunshine, joy, and enthusiasm. Lana loves puppies, they energize her.

I guess I better get back to my knitting. It feels good to be working through the stash. I am really excited about making more baby blankets and clothes. They are so sweet and hopeful. I hope you are doing well today.   

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes when given the materials for free, we turn it into something even more beautiful than if we had picked it out ourselves. I like to think it's because it began with an act of kindness - I know that's a romantic view, but I'm cool with that once in a while 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also think that talent bounces off talent. I noticed in the shows that combined talent always created something greater. We had the best choreographers, directors, dancers, costume designers, actors, and singers. It created something magnificent. I like the way you think, Lady Locust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read that your Lana is doing better today, eating and playing frisbee with you is a good sign. I was sad to read of the loss of your Carlie. It's so very difficult to say goodbye. Whenever we have lost a dog, I always feel that presence at my feet from many weeks afterwards, expecting to look down and find them there. Meg Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg, Thank you. Our dogs really do become part of the fabric of our lives. Yes, Lana is really bouncing back, thank goodness. It's such a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, I like this windowpane check blanket! It ha such a lot of depth and texture without a complicated pattern. It has all kinds of possibilities.
    I love working with odd and different balls of yarn, as they tend to make me more creative with projects and color combinations. It's nice that your knitter friends are generous with their spares so more projects get to me made rather than sitting unused in stash bins.

    I'm thrilled Lana is doing better! I'm sure that she's tired from her loss and the new meds are making her a bit sleepy and she'll be perkier soon enough.


    That smiling puppy will help, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jill. A friend of mine who is a knitting teacher made this blanket. I did a lesson with her to learn the pattern. I'm going to practice it with the scrap yarn, today. Yes, Lana is fantastic. She even went hiking this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so excited to see the photo from your friend in New York. Those colours are stunning.
    Super happy to hear Lana is doing a bit better. You are a wonderful owner really looking after her. Gorgeous little puppy too.
    Happy knitting.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie. I was happy to see the photo from my friend in NY, too. Thank you for the encouragement with Lana. She is so sweet.

      Delete
  8. Glad your dog is doing better. :)

    Lovely knitting too. I've been shopping for sweaters and most of them are made with acrylic, polyester or some such material. It's hard finding good clothes etc. Nice to see you knitting such beautiful things.

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, Thank you. I know what you mean about good quality sweaters. I found one at T.J.Maxx twenty years ago that is very thick wool. I still have it, and it still looks like new! I love my hand knits. I will keep them forever...I sell my sweaters on Etsy. I love the high end yarns: silk,alpaca, and wool...Cab you knit your own?

      Delete