Friday, September 1, 2017

Juliet Prowse - Mame




Yesterday this popped up in my Facebook feed. A friend of mine in New York had posted it from Youtube. I watched it closely, because I did a production of Mame with Juliet Prowse many years ago. After a few moments I realized, "That's me, in the black sequined dress! This is our company!" What a thrill. I had never seen the tape. This was such a fun show. You can really see and feel the excitement in the air. We had a marvelous cast and crew. There was so much talent. Juliet was pure joy.

When Juliet comes down the stairs, I am the girl on the left, with the bob. It's the wildest feeling to watch a tape of yourself and not know for sure whether or not it's you. Once I recognized some of the other performers, I knew that it had to be me. I switched over to my desktop and enlarged the video. I was straining my eyes on the mini ipad.  It sure brings back happy memories. I hope you enjoy it.


I finished the alpaca throw this afternoon. Phew! I sewed in the ends, blocked it, and am now going to relax. I always feel like I need a day off after completing a large project like this one. There's something exhausting about it. It feels good to be on schedule, though. I just balled the yarn for the baby blanket. That's going to be another fun, relaxing knit. I love doing those types of projects. I listened to a podcast by The Gentle Knitter while I was doing the finishing work. It was so peaceful to sit and watch her while I was working. She has such a comforting presence. It was like having a friend over to knit. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Let me know how you like the tape!   

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video, Stephenie. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was amazing. You are so, so talented. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and thankyou so much for sharing.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie. I had excellent training. I'm very grateful for it.

      Delete
  3. looks like a lot of fun, what a memory it must be & wow
    the blanket looks lovely
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was, Selina. I'm thrilled with the blanket, too.

      Delete
  4. Oh Stephanie just have to share this with you. Last night I was sitting at the kitchen table with my I-pad watching your clip and before long the whole family were intrigued and watching. We were all saying 'oh there she is, wow she is a great dancer, they look so happy............'. We watched it twice. The kids loved it especially our daughter.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's sweet, Kylie. Children are so attuned to the joy in musicals. Jerry Herman composed this show, and it was a magnificent score. It's great to expose kids to this type of art. It's uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing the clip. You are so very talented. What a wonderful show. For us "civilians" it is fascinating to know the behind the scenes work and joy which make the performances so magical to those of us in the seats. The blanket is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Anita. Working with that yarn was such a treat. Mame was a very special show. I have very happy memories of dancing with Juliet Prowse. Onna White did the original Broadway choreography. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thrilled to have found this posting.. such a joy to watch..the company give off such vibrancy you can see that everyone is enjoying themselves.. Juliet Prowse interprets Mame Dennis exactly as I imagine ed she would be. Loved reading your notes.

    ReplyDelete