Thursday, August 31, 2017

Work Breeds Work


As the saying goes, "What you focus on, you attract." The other day my father commented to me, "You're business is going up," I thought for a minute. "Yes, it is," I answered. "Etsy gives me my stats, and they are moving in the right direction." My father has that kind of a mind. He is always totaling up the profit and loss of things. Thirty years ago, when we went to my close friend's wedding,  he was shocked that everyone was served prime rib. "Geez!" he exclaimed. "That's $30.00 a plate!" I chuckled, because it hadn't even dawned on me to think about the cost. My dad owned his own business, though. He kept careful records of his mileage, his customers, his sales, everything. He also had it all memorized. I find now that I am the same way. I tend to remember the details about my students and my customers. My father comes home and reviews all of his bridge hands. It must run in the family. Having that sort of memory came in handy when I was a professional dancer. You have to memorize numerous routines very quickly when you work in show business. The same goes for your music and your songs. It really works the mind to its full capacity.


Yesterday I woke up to another Etsy order for goat's milk soap. I finished breakfast, bagged the soaps, wrote out the labels, and then headed over to the library. Once I had printed out the shipping label, packing slip, and notepaper, I drove down the street to the post office. Orders of two soaps fit easily into a small priority mail box. This one was going to Staten Island, New York. I like this method, because it is very fast. Quite often people will have their soaps in two days, all the way from one coast to the other. Most people really appreciate fast shipping. I like to get my orders out first thing in the morning.

I'm nearly done with the alpaca throw that I've been knitting for my friend. I'm using the last ball of yarn. I love knitting these; they are so rewarding. It's nice to do something that's quick, easy, and luxurious. I just emailed him a photo of how it's looking,  and he's very happy with it. It sure is spectacular yarn. The quality of the wool makes all the difference. This is hand dyed, and it has received numerous compliments out in the community. People can really sense when something is valuable. Yarns have changed so much in the past fifty years. My parents marveled at the difference in the blankets that I knit them, as compared to some they had received from a friend. They didn't understand it. Finally I told them, "Well, the yarn alone was $20.00 a skein. It's  alpaca. It's like cashmere." "We didn't have yarn like this growing up," my parents replied. I think most people at that time bought yarn at Ben Franklin or Woolworths.  Even though my parents don't knit, they immediately felt, saw, and  sensed the difference. It made me giggle. My dad told me about a cashmere and cotton sweater that he has, and how much he loves it. I nodded. With proper care, these items will last a lifetime. I am wearing my mom's cashmere sweaters now. They still look like new, even though they are several years old. I wash them carefully by hand, and lay them flat to dry.


Once this blanket is done, I will block it, wrap it, and ship it off the NYC. Next on the list is the baby blanket. I also plan to make another batch of goat's milk soap. Last night my father asked me, "Are you making more soap?" "You probably should," he added. I laughed and answered, "Yes, even though it's 107 degrees."  Parents are always right.   

14 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful photo of your dad and you, Stephenie. Your dad seems to be a very nice sweet gentleman. It brought a smile to my face and reminded me my dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. You are right. He is so likeable. I'm glad it brought a smile to your face.

      Delete
  2. Your father is a treasure. Lovely photo of the two of you together.
    I'm the opposite as far as memory goes. I can see how it can help in so many different areas.
    You are a very fast knitter and your friend will be so happy. He will have it just in time for the cooler weather.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made Hungarian Plum cake,taste really good.Thanks.I only started to cook recently.Another amazing and interesting post but you can't be boring,just not in your personality.Hopefully I will make another cake on Sunday,then a few for the special people in my life next week.Yes anticipation makes life rich and happy.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope, I'm glad the cake worked out for you. You are a real go getter! Thank you for reading and commenting on the blog. I'm so glad you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Kylie. I love this photo. I'm using big needles, so the knitting goes quickly. Yes, he will need it in New York. It gets very cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post today, it really made me smile. So good to hear about your etsy shop growing! Your Dad sounds wonderful.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I love having the Etsy shop. Yes, my dad is great. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that your etsy shop is doing well. And as the others have already said, your dad seems like a great dad. That pix should have its own frame :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lady Locust. I think so, too. I will hang it by my desk. He is a good business advisor, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet photo of you and your Dad. It's lovely that he's there to pass on his advice to you. Great to read that your Etsy shop is doing well too, people must love receiving their parcels of handmade soap in the mail. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Thank you. I love this photo. My friend from ballet school took it for us. Yes, it's fun to receive a package, isn't it? I really enjoy the packaging and shipping. It's exciting when the soaps and hand knits arrive. One friend told me that it's like Christmas. I thought that was sweet.

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear that your shop is flourishing. You're so right that quick shipping makes a huge difference in customer satisfaction

    Lovely photo of your father and you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. Yes, it really helps. So glad you like the photo.

      Delete