Monday, August 14, 2017

Combining Errands


This morning I met with a fellow knitter for breakfast. I wanted to learn a new knitting stitch for a baby blanket. I'm really enjoying the baby items that I've been  crocheting. She's a knitting teacher, so I paid her for a short private lesson. I admired this stitch on a sample blanket that she had made a couple of years ago. It turns out that it's really easy. It looks so delicate and sweet. I don't have time to make one right now,  first I need to finish the sweater that  I'm knitting. I will knit up the alpaca blanket for my Etsy customer and friend as soon as the yarn arrives. It should be here any day.


I spent most of the weekend gardening. That's becoming my weekly routine. The days are getting shorter, so the nights are cool and relaxing. The citrus fruits are all getting larger. Soon they will start to change color. It's the colder temperatures at night that cause them to shift from green to yellow or orange. A few of the pomegranates are starting to blush. Their skin will change from green, to yellow, and sometimes red. (as long as I don't have to strip the tree.) I decided to eat a few of the small ones that had split. Even thought the seeds are small, they are still rose colored and sweet. I gave most of them to neighbors who have chickens and birds. They love them.



After breakfast, I stopped at a couple of grocery stores, and bought some produce on sale. I watch the flyers, and just buy what is $1.00 a pound, or less. I also picked up a  package of grass fed beef stew meat. I have all of the other ingredients, and I love beef stew! I try to only buy chicken and meat when they are on sale, and then freeze the extra packages to use later in the month. I've also started eating more eggs. They are inexpensive, healthy, and my hair looks much better when I eat them.  I don't quite understand it, but it gives it a much softer texture. It makes it shinier, too. It's funny how our diet really does affect our skin and hair, especially as we age.


Last night, as the sun went down,  I raked up some leaves and spread them under my citrus trees. It really makes a difference in this heat. That way the soil isn't so bare and exposed. Where we live, the ground can become rock hard at this time of year. The leaves or straw provide a layer of protection, and they also hold in moisture. It seems like the trees are much healthier when I continue to replace the mulch. How are things going in your neck of the woods?       


6 comments:

  1. It's great that you can find produce at $1/pound or less. It's very rare here, especially at large grocery chains. I normally look for $2/pound or less items.
    I just finished preparing for classes and sat down to read the blogs. Then your post reminded me that I didn't water my plants yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, I need to water mine, too. Yes, most of the produce here is much higher, but I know where to shop. There's an Armenian grocery store that has good weekly deals on produce. Sprouts also has specials. I keep their flyer in the grocery cart with me. I'll save $32.00 a month if I just stop buying gelato every week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how delicate baby clothing and blankets look. The colours and stitches are calming.
    I eat a lot of fresh produce, herbs, herbal tea and water and really notice the difference it makes to my skin and hair.
    I just love your pink cottage nestled among the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kylie, I love the look of the baby knits, too. They're so sweet. I'm realizing that trees and their energy make all of the difference in a home's location. I love the vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hair & nails thrive on keratin & proteins, both are in eggs; since i stopped using commercial shampoos & conditioners my hair has thickened right up, went from sheer fine & straight to thick & wavy! even my daughter (who is a hair dresser) noticed the difference. ooo & it got softer too, even with the hard water.
    your yard looks lovely & shady, curious, is that another house right behind your cottage in the photo or is there glare off a mountain (lol) ?
    gardening is a hit & miss here too but just adding things like mulch & leaves & leftover potting mix helps even though it seems to be gone in a week! very hungry soil here!
    loving your blog
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that why, Selina? The eggs have made such a difference. Maybe if I hard boil some, it will help my dog's coat. Yes, there are homes up there. That photo is taken from my backyard. There are horses and alpacas up there. Soon the leaves will be falling and I can give the fruit trees more mulch! Thank you for reading and commenting, Selina.

    ReplyDelete