Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Gardening in the Heat of Summer

We are experiencing the dog days of Summer, here in Southern California. At this time of year, it's usually too hot for me to garden, so I take a break. I'm finding that if I water the fruit trees at night, they seem happier. Something about having their roots cool while we are sleeping seems to relieve some of their stress. On the one hand, the stifling heat is a challenge, but on the other hand, the sun does a wonderful job of ripening the fruit.

The pomegranates are getting bigger. I'm a bit concerned, because many of the small ones are starting to split. I wonder if it's because I didn't thin the fruit? Maybe it's nature's way of reducing the number of pomegranates on the tree, so that the ones that survive will grow larger. I'm not sure. It could also be my watering schedule. I'm keeping an eye on them. The tree itself looks healthy, and I love the size of it. It's just magnificent!



































I'm harvesting rosemary today to dry for cooking. It's also nice   in an herbal  tea to mop the floors. I use it all the time is soups, for grilling lamb, and to season baked chicken. I may even make a batch of soap with it! It looks so pretty and natural in homemade soaps. I like the texture and fragrance that it adds.

This is the first year that I have had a couple of limes develop. They are so pretty. It's taken the tree a few years to produce fruit. Gardening and fruit growing requires a lot of patience. The tree is only three years old. I bought it at Costco a few summers ago. I also purchased a grapefruit tree and planted it next to the rosemary bush, in my driveway. I love seeing things growing as I pull my car or bicycle into the cottage driveway when I arrive home.

I've had all kinds of wonderful birds visiting. Yesterday my favorite woodpecker returned to his giant poplar tree. He is just gorgeous! He used to stop at the hummingbird feeder, and hang upside down. Maybe I should get him a new one. I had an ant problem with the last one, and got rid of it. For now, he seems to be munching on insects on the trunk of his favorite tree. There are also happy sparrows splashing in the birdbath, shy mourning doves stopping by for a drink of water, and colorful gold finches snacking on the sunflowers that have gone to seed. They are such a pretty bright yellow, just like the flowers themselves.


Carlie has been helping herself to a drink of water each time I refill the birdbath. She's funny. She acts like it's her own personal  water dish. I have found some volunteer plants, as well. There's a watermelon that came up from a seed in the back orchard, this mystery plant in my window box, and a pumpkin sprout in the front potager garden. I'm excited to see what blooms and develops! How is your garden doing?  

  

10 comments:

  1. Your rosemary is amazing. I love fresh herbs and use them a lot. Rosemary has quite a strong flavour which I live even more. You have a lot of great uses for it too.
    I hope your pomegranates are OK. Just love that burst when you bite into one.
    How lovely to have a Woodpecker visit. Do you find he comes back each year?
    Coming home to your garden oasis is perfect.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyle, Yes, the woodpecker comes back every year. He's so cute. I love their colors and spots. I enjoy the rosemary, too. I had to plant it three or four times before it took root. Now it's established and healthy.

      Delete
  2. Stephenie, one reason for splitting could be due to not getting enough water. I love pomegranate and hope you will have a good harvest.
    About a week ago I sow basil and okra seeds and they are already sprouting. It's such a good feeling to see tiny plants coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, That's good to know, thanks. Sometimes they split when they are ripe, but these are too small to be ready. Glad to hear that your basil and okra seeds are sprouting.

      Delete
  3. Oh pomegranates! See, now I'm envious of your garden😊 Yum! The best way to eat them is on the tailgate of the pick up with your knees kinda apart so when they drip it hits the ground. The juice all over your fingers and running down your chin doesn't count evidently- just if you get it on your legs - 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Thanks for the tip! These are a Russian variety, and they don't stain. They kind of rose colored.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely garden!

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rose. We enjoy it. The trees make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie,

    I've just found your blog through a very circuitous route that may possibly have started from Rhonda's Down to Earth blog. I'm laid up in bed post-surgery and was instantly curious about your own recovery from your hip-surgery. Very inspirational, although my surgery wasn't for anything mechanical!

    Anyhoo, I think your mystery plant looks very much like a pawpaw/papaya. Do you eat them? Their seeds are as prolific as a pumpkin in the compost.

    All the best,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vanessa, I'm so glad that you found my blog. I hope you are healing well from your surgery. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

    Yes, I do eat papaya. I bought some Mexican papayas last year, and composted the seeds. Is that what that is? Thank you. I had another one sprout from the compost. I will plant them in pots today. I was thinking it might be a mulberry tree, but I bet you're right. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete