Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Developing Your Own Style


One thing that happens over time with artists is that they develop their own style. The really great ones, the geniuses, have a stamp that's unmistakable. If you think of a painting by Picasso, or a costume by Bob Mackie, that's the kind of energy I mean. These are people who have spent hours and hours each day developing their craft. They put the time into learning, practicing, and expressing. It shows in their work. They continue this cycle, whether they are paid for it or not,  throughout their whole lives. They study, learn and grow. They have a strong work ethic.

As this happens, often others will copy them. We  see a breathtaking gown worn by a celebrity on the red carpet, and the next day, there are several knock offs in the shops. It doesn't look the same though, because the energy is different. So much of art and design is in the tiniest details. Knowing how to shift, alter, and shape something completely changes how it looks and feels. It's a subtle awareness that designers have. They know the nuances.



Often artists will try to copy a famous painting to learn the techniques. The thing is, much of art is unseen. What makes an artist shine is something inside of them, and in their teachers.  It's their talent, their spirit, and their touch. It's what comes through them. It's energy, pure and simple.

When I was seventeen, I was spending six hours a day at the dance studio, and I starting to find my own style. All of a sudden, my mother became obsessive about copying me. It was the strangest thing. If we were going out to dinner, she would study what I was wearing, run upstairs and change her clothes, and then come down  to the entryway, proudly dressed just like me. I never understood it, because my mother was quite beautiful and creative. Our home was gorgeous, thanks to her. She could really decorate, cook, and create beauty. For some reason, she wanted to look like me at that age, and it drove me nuts. She even went out and bought the same perfume that I was wearing. I had chosen it carefully, at Longs.  I had a hard time with it. It grated on my nerves. I moved out the same year, and she went back to being her own stylish self.


Now that I'm older, I've thought about what creates flair and individuality. In my case, I practice yoga and meditation, and study the best in their field. I love to watch the top choreographers, even though that is not an area where I shine. I analyze why their work is so excellent. Quite often I see that less is more, and that simplicity, combined with impeccable talent, creates something magical. It also takes hours and hours of sweat and hard work. You tinker with what you are doing. You add something here, and then subtract something there. You trust your intuition. You surround yourself with gifted, highly trained people. Repetition and constancy create improvement and something untouchable.

I follow the same steps with  knitting. I study photographs of projects, and why a certain artist jumps out at me. There is something about their work that is clear, focused, and dynamic. I have always loved the sculptures of Rodin and Camille Claudelle. What an incredible love story that was. I saw the French film in New York, and it was unforgettable. It really shows the sensuality of the creative process,  the transfer of energy, and the development of an artist.



One thing now is that many people want things instantly and easily. With the Internet and  sites like Ravelry, they can turn on their computer, look up a person's projects, and just copy their choices. This doesn't teach or train  you, though. Putting in the practice time and making your own decisions  has a different vibration. Classical musicians practice for hours and hours, and study with impeccable teachers for many years. There really are no shortcuts. In writing, we have to do a few drafts, edit, revise, and rework. That's the way we find a sense of individuality and personal rhythm in our work. It takes effort, concentration, and dedication. There are no shortcuts.            

6 comments:

  1. Putting it into practice and actually doing helps here I think. After a while your own self comes into it. I research through books and the internet and then try myself, each time changing something until it is what feels right for me. I also think you produce better results too.
    There are no shortcuts - so true.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all of that doing adds up over the years. Changing it until it feels right to you is what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post(and all of them previously)My individual style is showing in calligraphy ,,after 4 years of almost daily practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Hope. Congratulations on the four years of almost daily practice. It makes all the difference, like in music. I'm sure your calligraphy will continue to develop and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what you learned as a professional dancer must be so valuable also in your knitting and soap making. Your passion and dedication show in your products. It's not easy to learn and master new skills. Practice and patience are so important. You are so right - there are no shortcuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nil. My ballet teacher taught us the 3 p's: practice, patience, and persistence. I was also fortunate in that I worked with several geniuses. Being around that energy is incomparable.

    ReplyDelete