Friday, August 18, 2017

Second Anniversary of Bilateral Hip Replacement Surgery


Today it has been exactly two years since I had both of my hips replaced. They were done at the same time, during a three hour operation.  The anterior method, which I had, is described as the ship in the bottle technique. I am still in awe of the results. The pain is completely gone. I can do most of the activities that I loved, but had to give up doing when I had osteoarthritis. It is such a pleasure to be  riding my bike each morning, walking the dogs,  going hiking, kayaking with friends, and doing yoga and pilates. People told me that I would get my life back if I did the surgery. It didn't seem possible back then, but they were right.


Most of the time, I don't even feel the new hips. They do such an excellent job. It probably sounds weird, but I really appreciate being able to do all of my chores again. The simplest things, (like gardening and picking up the dog poop,) used to be a struggle. This morning I drove to the carwash, and sat and knit while waiting for my car. I chatted with a man there who was using a walker. He had taken a fall, and now he has a bar in his femur. It made me see how fortunate I am that what I had was treatable. My legs are exactly the same length, (thanks to my surgeon, and having them done together,) and my gait is now perfect. People tell me I look like a completely different person.


After tipping the man who polished my car, I stopped at Costco and picked up a few items. I filled my gas tank with gas, and then bought a couple of other things from the drug store. I remember how painful it used to be to sit in a car, whether I was a passenger or a driver. Now that aching is completely gone. Both of my grandmothers had their hips replaced, too. They didn't fare so well. I am very fortunate. My thanks go to Dr. Matta, who is a master surgeon. What an artist. I couldn't have imagined such an excellent  outcome. How are you doing today?     

18 comments:

  1. You are so brave to go through a 3 hour surgery. I'm glad that it was a success.
    At the moment I have a loaf of bread in the oven. :)
    Do you know the name of the plant on the last photo? I'm curious because it is similar to red Amaranth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I really wasn't brave, but thank you. I was terrified, but it was fine. I went to sleep, woke up, and it was done. The waiting was much worse than the actual surgery. Yes, that plant is Amaranth. I have it everywhere in the front garden. I save the seeds, and it comes up out of the compost. It does so well in our heat. I love it. Do you grow it?

      Delete
    2. No I don't Stephenie, but I'd love to. In Sri Lanka we cook red amaranth leaves adding to lentil curry etc. I'm not sure whether all varieties are edible.

      Delete
    3. I think people here use it for cereal, as a grain. The birds love it. It's so tall, and it does well in the extreme heat. Each year it reseeds. It transplants well, too.

      Delete
  2. First, congrats on the two year mark! Also you are cruising on your knitting. Those needles must fly when you're knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Thank you. It's hard to believe it's been two years. This scarf is on big needles, so it's moving quickly. I love the yarn, too. It's just k2p2. His birthday is in September, so I want to get it done.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've come a very long way and I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. Mum has osteoarthritis and suffers with the pain quite a bit. I actually have osteoporosis but so far no pain which is good. I have a six monthly injection to help.
    Keep moving forward, looking after yourself and staying positive.
    Happy 2nd Anniversary and here's to many more just like it xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, I'm sorry your mom has OA,it is very painful. I'm glad that you are not in pain. It's good to hear that the injections help. Yes, I agree with your philosophy. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Hi,just finished reading a big part of your blog.You are interesting and so calming.I am glad that your hip surgery enriched your life.Well here is nearly midnight,I live in Australia.My day was peaceful,got some free daffodils from land nearby.Made some rice soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hope. Thank you for your kind words, and for leaving a comment. How nice that you got some free daffodils. I love them. I hope you enjoyed your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad for you that things have worked out good. I agree with Hope that you are interesting and calming--you give out the calm and peaceful vibes even from a distance.

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Rose. I have done yoga and meditation for thirty two years. My goal is to be calm. I am pleased that it is radiating to you. Interesting is an even bigger surprise. I feel like I am writing about the mundane. But, the reason I have always enjoyed foreign films is for the detail of daily life. So, I keep that in mind with my blog. I appreciate you reading it and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephenie,

    It is great that your new hips have been so successful. Modern medicine is a marvel! I was noting the name of your surgeon with interest, too, as it was my mother's maiden name. There aren't that many Mattas about.

    By the way, have you seen the blogs Foxs Lane and Say Little Hen? Although I don't knit myself, both girls are sock knitters, too!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vanessa,

    Thank you. I agree with you about modern medicine. This surgery has come so far. I had the anterior technique.

    I haven't seen those blogs, but I will check them out, thanks! Interesting coincidence about your mother's maiden name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I really understand what you say when you appreciate doing your little chores. I was unwell with severe fatigue for a few years and I now appreciate all the little things. Just being able to get up, prepare lunch for my daughter and drive her to school makes me so happy. It really does change your perspective on life doesn't it? I'm glad to hear you are doing well now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does change your perspective, Belinda. It's like bring given a second chance. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, too. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have chronic arthritis in my knees, unfortunately my legs are too twisted for replacement joints. I love to watch people skip and walk with grace, it makes me think what a marvellous thing the human body is. I do miss being able to get on the floor, especially when little children are around xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's too bad, Cheryl. I'm sorry. I love your blog. My grandmother had both of her knees replaced, and the difference was remarkable. Her legs were very bowed before the surgery.

    ReplyDelete