Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Unclogging the Shower Head


Last night when I went to turn on the shower, the water pressure dribbled. I had been having trouble with it for the last few days. I sighed, and called a plumber. After making an appointment for this morning, (to avoid paying overtime for a late call yesterday,) I googled the problem. Thank God for Google! From what I read, it sounded like it could  be an easy fix. We live in an area with very hard water. The mineral deposits can cause problems with the plumbing, and also clog your shower head. It sounded like I could just clean it or replace it, and screw it back on to the pipe.

I removed it, filled a bowl with white vinegar, and let it sit there overnight. I had just come in from playing frisbee with the dogs in the backyard.  I was hot, tired, and sweaty,  and  had been looking forward to cleaning myself up and soaking in the tub. I decided to try just using the bare pipe like a tap; it worked. I was thrilled. It felt so good to take a relaxing bath,  especially after thinking that I wasn't going to have any water. It really made me appreciate it. I took a sewing needle and poked it into all of the holes in the shower head. Some of them were blocked with a white substance that looked like salt.


 
This morning was the moment of truth. I screwed the shower head back into place, turned on the water, and voila! It worked perfectly. I was thrilled. What a relief. A house call from the plumber is very expensive. I had asked the woman last night if I could call her back and cancel if cleaning the head worked. She was very understanding, and added that they could come by and tell me if I needed a new shower head in the morning, free of charge. I thought that was very nice. It turns out that I don't! I called her this morning and canceled the appointment. I was elated. What a great feeling. That money can stay in the emergency fund.


Later this morning I worked on my knitted knocker for the breast cancer charity. I had a terrible time with it, and got very frustrated, but I persevered. I was dropping stitches off of the double pointed needles. Because the last two were knit two togethers, it was throwing off my stitch count. I backtracked and fixed my mistakes. Bunching up the stitches in the center of the needles did the trick. After a couple of exasperating hours, I finally finished the first knocker. Now I'm ready to knit the second one, and donate them. Phew! I guess today's theme  was  perseverance. It's time to enjoy some beef stew and relax. I love having meals all prepared in advance. All I have to do is heat it up on the stove.  Later on I'm going to bake a Hungarian plum cake.  I'm so happy that the weather is changing and that I can cook and bake again. How is your day going?     

10 comments:

  1. You made a great saving with that shower head:) It's reminded me that ours need a good clean too. I knit but only very simple things...I probably would've twisted myself into knots trying to knit those knockers! Hungarian plum cake sounds totally delicious, I occasionally make a plum and rosemary upside down cake and love that soft, jammy fruit on top when it's turned out of the pan. My day here will be a slow one, as I have the flu and am just going gently about things. Later, I hope to sit out in the sun on the verandah and knit for a little while. The day looks so beautiful out there. Enjoy your day. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, Thank you for commenting. That plum and rosemary upside down cake sounds delicious! I have a huge rosemary bush in my driveway. I hope you are feeling better and that you enjoy your knitting out on the verandah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you were able to save money by cleaning the showerhead yourself. It's very satisfying, isn't it?
    I've never had Hungarian plum cake. I'm going to google a recipe and see.
    I had a long day. I applied a second coat of paint on the dressing table, cleaned the house,went to the bank, and cooked several dishes.
    Enjoy your cake. I'm sure it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nil, Yes, it was very satisfying. I was so relieved that I didn't have to pay a plumber. If you haven't already found a recipe, I will post mine on my blog tomorrow. You sound busy and disciplined. I postponed baking the cake, but I will get to it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on fixing the shower head and saving all that money. Actually not just a money saver but also a great feeling of satisfaction too. I'm so pleased for you.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right, Kylie. It was a great feeling. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. awesome that you could fix your shower head, we have hard water here too & get calcium/lime build ups. my shower head has needed to be replaced for years, it's one of those silly water saving ones with the rubber holes bits that have all gone like cement & broken off. i do prefer a nice big round shower head, can't beat the water coverage from them.
    your knocker looks good, i checked out the pattern then went to the aussie site but they have updated their pattern with more decreases (more sworls?) & they will only take those now & have to be registered, mmm. another day perhaps.
    your cake sounds interesting
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I wonder why they changed the pattern? Ours has been updated, too. You start with the back now. I enjoyed it. Happy knitting. Too bad you don't live closer...

      Delete
  7. I look forward to seeing the cake recipe. I am traveling on business now so no knitting for the rest of the week. Only 6 weeks until I retire!!!! Excellent job on the shower head. We have very hard water down our way as well-lovely Colorado River water-and have to do a vinegar treatment fairly regularly on our shower heads and kitchen faucet. Our week started with a leaky refrigerator. Seems the water tubing has cracked and has been leaking for some time. Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anita, Wow! Only six weeks...that will fly by! Sorry to hear about your refrigerator. I hope the repair isn't too expensive.

    ReplyDelete