Friday, August 25, 2017

Making Unscented Soap

Yesterday's soapmaking was very enjoyable. After weighing the oils and shea butter, I melted them together on the stove. I let them sit and cool in the bowl on the counter while I did some other housework and wrote my blog. After a couple of hours, I weighed the frozen goat's milk and lye. Soapmaking is chemistry, so it's important to weigh your ingredients. For years, I avoided it for that reason. I didn't have a kitchen scale, and I wasn't really sure how to use a digital scale. Now that I have one, I see how easy it is. For some reason, it intimidated me. I would read books on soapmaking and procrastinate. I kept hoping that I could find a recipe where I could just measure ingredients, like in cooking or baking. It doesn't work that way. Well, I did find one recipe on line that said you didn't need a scale, but I skipped it. Now that I'm comfortable, I like the accuracy I get with a scale.


After the oils had been sitting for a couple of hours, I slowly added the lye into the frozen goat's milk. I use a slotted spoon, and stir it into the bowl in small increments. I try to take about twenty minutes. You don't want the milk to scorch and turn brown. This time it turned yellow, which is fine.



After blending the lye milk into the oils with a stick blender, I poured the batter into the molds. I thought about how unscented soap is a great idea. The fragrance oils are very expensive. It never dawned on me that some people would prefer to have quality soaps without fragrance. Whenever I give someone a bar of soap, the first thing they do is hold it up to their nose and smell it. Most of the reviews I've gotten on Etsy mention that they love the scent. It's one of my favorite parts of using homemade soap. But, many people have sensitive skin, and they prefer unscented. It's easier to make.

It's kind of funny, because I used to spend hours on Brambleberry's website, researching the fragrance oils that didn't fade. I was getting discouraged that some of the soaps I made didn't seem to hold the scent after several months. The longer a bar cures, the gentler and milder it becomes. So, I ordered some oils that had the reputation for excellent staying power. I trusted the reviews from fellow soapmakers. It was kind of ironic that I spent all that time. Each person is different, though. A small batch of soap will require at least an ounce of fragrance oil, which is a lot. That's what I love about art, I am always learning and expanding my vision.  


I have never been really big into coloring my soaps, either. That can also get very expensive. There's something about seeing bright colors and black in soap that feels kind of wild to me. The multi colored ones look like art. They remind me of finger painting. I prefer the natural, milk colored soaps. I have never wanted to start committing myself to offering numerous colors and flavors of soap, either. I'm amazed at the shops that are able to do it. I'll stick to my simple bars, with fine ingredients. Quality olive oil, shea butter, and goat's milk cost money, but they are worth it.   I love the look that the decorative molds give the soaps. It's just enough,  for my taste. What kind of soaps do you like?

16 comments:

  1. I like reading about your soap making.
    I have bought lye to make soap, but I'm still a bit nervous. I want to make a simple soap using olive oil, without colors or fragrance. Today I bought a thick glass jar from a thrift store, to mix lye and water. For some reason, I'm afraid that it's going to break when the mixture heats up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous and afraid, too. Mine has never broken. If you start with a small batch, it's less heat, and easier to lift and pour. I think you will do just fine. If you use tray molds, they don't heat up because of their size. I find as long as I wait 20 minutes for the lye mixture to cool, and then add it to the oils, it's fine. Reading stories on the Internet can scare you. It helps to watch tutorials.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to read about soaps.

    I like both scented and unscented bars. Sometimes when I plan on using a pretty special perfume I use the unscented bars while showering so that it doesn't clash with my perfume. Some soaps are very strong which is nice but it's also nice to have variety to suit our needs.

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, That makes sense. I use the same fragrance oils for perfume that I use in my soaps.

      Delete
  3. I have never experienced wonderful soaps like you make for your shop. Are they long lasting like hard milled soap cakes? My instinct tells me the answer is no, that soaps like yours are luscious and foamy, not hard and producing thin, watery suds. As for fragrance, I am not a big fan of overly scented soaps or lotions. Since I don't think I would ever try to make soap, the idea of goat's milk soap makes me eager to order some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thank you for the compliment. I don't know how long the hard milled soap cakes last. I have coconut soaps which are extremely hard and long lasting. The recipe is on the blog. They have a nice, rich lather. The goat's milk soap I make is softer. The one with Shea butter is hard. It just depends on the ingredients. If you take them out of the shower, and let them dry out, they last longer. Mine last me about a month.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you regarding just plain old soap with good ingredients. I got caught up with all the fragrances, coloring and swirling when I first started. It's just too difficult to know what people want. I use all organic ingredients in my soaps and although I use quality oils and clays, I feel like I'm adulterating the purity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara, That's funny about getting caught up in all of the extras. I have a busy soapmaker friend who orders from me, and she always requests the simple, basic soaps. It makes me chuckle, because I spent all this money on intricate molds. (Moulds in Australia.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never added color to mine either. I like the natural creamy color and I don't like to put things in that don't have a purpose. The essential oils I use are usually purposeful- natural antiseptic, soothing etc. Your soaps are always beautiful. I wish more people used unscented products as many make me sneeze 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Locust. I love essential oils. I use them in the bath. I don't find that the scent lingers on the skin after using my soaps. It's interesting to hear all of the different thoughts about fragrance.

      Delete
  7. As much as I love scented soap we stick to the unscented plain soaps as our son used to get eczema as a baby. I've just stayed this way since. Natural, fewer ingredients and simple so much better for your skin. The few times I've had to use other soaps whilst out and about have left my hands so, so dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, Kylie. I don't use the commercial soaps in public restrooms. I keep a travel bar of homemade soap with me in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating reading about your soap making,Currently I am using black African soap,just divine,It was given to me last year .I almost forgot about it but reading your blog reminded me. Charming lady makes in Australia for friends .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hope, I've read about black African soap, but I've never made it. It's very popular here in the USA, as well. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your soaps are just lovely...I love handmade soap! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I love it, too. I still look forward each day to using it in the shower. It's a little luxury.

      Delete