Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Playing With Your Dogs







I recently started scheduling a structured play time with my dogs. Each evening, I go out in the backyard and throw them the stick and the frisbee. We alternate, and they take turns. They look forward to it eagerly. I thought that because they were older, they wouldn't be that interested, but they  are. It's like I finally got the message. I think they were depressed that we weren't playing, (even though they get a morning walk every day.)  They absolutely love it. For some reason, I had only associated puppies with play time.Carlie started carrying around her ball, dropping it, and whining. She's very expressive.




I think that animals respond to physical exercise the same way that we do. It gets their endorphins going. I'm amazed at how my two run and exhaust themselves. They are so enthusiastic about it, even though they are older dogs. It's like they get a second wind, and are revved up with energy. I have to be careful not to overexert them, otherwise they get stiff and sore the next day. We do a fairly short session, but I'm consistent, and we do it on a daily basis. I can see how it's helping them to sleep well, and to be more relaxed. It really calms their temperament, and discharges negative energy. It brings out the best in them. I remember how centered I always felt after a good dance class. 


I've noticed that people who exercise regularly are more positive, upbeat, and enthusiastic. They have the self discipline to show up every day and do the work. It completely changes the personality, muscles, blood, and bones. Being outside has added benefits, too. Everyone responds to the beauty and power of nature. Do you play with your dogs?       

10 comments:

  1. I also think they just love being with you too. I always throw Samson's toy for him, chat with him, hug whenever I go outside. Hard not to really. When we had two Labradors they would go from sitting around to running around like mad dogs together then collapse in a heap again looking very satisfied.
    I notice the regulars I pass on my daily walks and bike rides are very positive, upbeat and friendly. Getting outdoors, exercising, seeing people really is wonderful. I'm stopped so many times at the shops by people saying they see me riding my bike whilst they're out walking. They are always smiley, happy people too.
    Exercise and fresh air clears away the cobwebs.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, too, Kylie. I have the same thing happen when I go into town. People will say, "Oh, you're the lady with the dogs. We see you riding your bike with them." I use a Walkydog, which is a bar that attaches to my bike, and they run along beside me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get a speeding fine if I attached Samson to my bike. How much fun though. I can picture you with a huge smile on your face out there on your bike.

      Delete
    2. That's funny. Maybe when Samson is older. They slow down as they age. Yes, it's a lot of fun. It's easier, too, since I don't run.

      Delete
  3. I don't have pets. Everyone encourages me to have a dog, and I'm going to seriously consider it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're wonderful. I just love having them...pure, unconditional love.

      Delete
  4. As I am home most days I regularly go out and play with our family dog. It might only be 10 minutes here or there but we both enjoy the exercise and the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Diva. I didn't see this comment until now. Ten minutes makes a huge difference. Play is healing.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a dog, but we have a 10 month old ginger kitten and he LOVES to play! Anything moves and he pounces on it! I think you are right, as they get older we forget they still want to play. And they still need the attention and exercise. Just like us humans! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Belinda. I'm sorry I didn't respond until now. I totally agree with you. Attention and exercise make a huge difference. They love adventure, too.

      Delete