Monday, August 21, 2017

A Hike To Celebrate






On Saturday I took a six mile hike up Towsley Canyon to celebrate two years of having healthy,  replaced hips. I feel so fortunate that I can do this kind of physical activity again.  It's a gorgeous hike, but it's challenging. The first part goes up the mountain. There are several switchbacks. It really makes me out of breath, so I stopped to rest several times. I was glad that I had packed two bottles of water.

Once I got to this shady spot, I sat down on this log, and ate my lunch. The wood was so nice and smooth. The view was gorgeous. I could feel my heart beating hard in my chest, so I let myself relax and recharge. I ate some peanut butter and celery, leftover homemade Hungarian plum cake, and a peach. The last time I did this hike I didn't bring any food or water. I made a mental note not to do that again. It's too strenuous.  It was much nicer with a light backpack filled with  food and water. It felt completely different. I like being prepared.

After lunch, I started the descent down the mountain. I met some very nice, friendly hikers along the way. I stopped and talked with a couple of women who looked to be at least my age. I was surprised to see women over fifty doing such a difficult hike. I'm noticing that many people in my generation are still very into fitness. The ladies I met were very pretty and outgoing. We all enjoyed the scenery and took photos.


The last part of the trail was flat. Whenever I see this gate, I know that  I'm  entering the home stretch. The oak trees and the dappled shade were beautiful. It felt so good to spend time in nature. I came home and finished knitting the scarf I've been working on for my friend. I have one and a half skeins of yarn leftover. I feel like it's  been telling me that it wants to be knit into a baby sweater. I found a really sweet pattern on Ravelry. I'm so excited to get started on  it!


This morning I woke up to an Etsy order. I still get such a thrill when I make a sale. This one was from a new customer in New York. She wanted two goat's milk soaps, and two shea butter goat's milk soaps. I wrapped everything up, printed out the packing slip, shipping label, and vintage stationery, and mailed it off at the post office. I just love selling what I make  from home. It's so rewarding. I think I'm going to make another batch of goat's milk soap tomorrow. I have a feeling things will pick up with the holidays approaching. I am going to make three hundred bars of soap. I want to be able to fill every order, and soap takes time to cure. Wish me luck...           

10 comments:

  1. That hike looks so beautiful.

    I have a question for you about your shop...do you ship internationally? Thanks.

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, Yes, it was very beautiful. I do ship internationally. I just can't extend the same free shipping offer that I do in the US. because of the additional expense. You can leave me an conversation on Etsy, and I will be happy to help in any way I can. Thank you for your interest and comment.

      Delete
  2. beautiful scenery indeed thanx for taking us on your hike, thoroughly enjoyed it, hope to see more
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina,
      I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have more photos that I'll include in today's post. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you celebrated with a picturesque hike. You would have felt just so, so good that night. Nature, sunshine, fresh air, exercise, meeting great people, celebrating - well done xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, Kylie. It was terrific. I'd like to hike every morning. Instead I've been bike riding while it's still cool. I know you are also a morning cyclist. It feels good to get those endorphins pumping. I think I will alternate the two activities.

      Delete
  4. It's a beautiful area. It's always nice to be with nature, isn't it? I find it so energizing.
    For some reason, I'm a bit scared to go hiking by myself. :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so too, Nil. The mountains and oak trees are breathtaking. Yes, I love being in nature. It's healing for the spirit. I can see why you would feel scared to go hiking by yourself. I usually hike on the weekends, and there are lots of other people out on the trails. My dogs like to go, too. If you are ever in this area you can come hike with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely way to celebrate and such beautiful pictures. It does feel so good to get out into nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. I'm sorry I didn't see your comment until now. Being out in nature is so healing.

      Delete