Monday, August 28, 2017

A Relaxing Weekend


It was another nice weekend. here in Southern California. I went for a morning hike yesterday,  following  a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. It was quite beautiful. It can be hiked from Mexico all the way across the United States to Canada! There are a couple of places near my home where it intersects. It's always enjoyable and scenic...


I spent a lot of time reading on Sunday, alternating between Cesar Milan's book, Cesar's Rules, and The Natural Soap Book, by Susan Miller Cavitch. Cesar's book made me feel very good about my dogs. He explains that he doesn't really train dogs, instead he guides the owners so that they have a balanced pet. One of the top recommendations on his list to keep a dog pleasant and friendly is exercise. Recently I've been giving both of my older dogs a lot more physical activity, and I can really see that they appreciate it. Lana and I have been taking a long walk each evening. I didn't think that she needed it, since she gets a quick run each morning, and a frisbee session in the early evening. Still, at ten years old, she absolutely loves it. Carlie is unenthusiastic about walking, yet turns into a canine champion as soon as I throw her a stick or frisbee. She is like two different dogs. I follow her enthusiasm, and give her a very short walk. She loves to go in the car, so I take her with me on errands when it's cool. Cesar explains that dogs need adventure, mental stimulation, and at least an hour of walking a day. That resonates with me. My dogs also really like to follow commands. It's rewarding to see how quickly they will do what you say. It took  a lot of time, patience, and training, but it was worth it. I remember my ex boyfriend at the time asking me about Lana, "How did you teach her to do exactly what you say? Our dogs do the opposite of what we say." That made me laugh. My mom was an excellent dog trainer, and I followed her lead. She believed that we were always training our dogs. She was with hers all day, and they were perfectly behaved. Dogs, like children, really respond to structure, routine, and consistency. My mother also taught me that children love discipline.I always agreed with, remembered that, as a dance teacher.



I realized that by following Cesar's advice for dogs, I was also feeling healthier and more balanced, emotionally. Walking really does affect the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. It's a simple activity,  but it makes a huge difference when it's part of your daily routine. I'm usually more inclined to jump on my bike and zip around the neighborhood. I still enjoy that in the early morning, but the walks are relaxing and nurturing. We are all sleeping very well, and the dogs have a good, hearty appetite.


I unmolded the unscented batch of shea butter goat's milk soap. I came out nicely. It's drying on the racks. I am delivering an order in town tomorrow. This one is a variety pack of several different soaps. I plan to make another batch of soap tomorrow, with cocoa butter. I formulated a new recipe using that and the shea butter with the oils. I love the way cocoa butter smells, and I'm hoping that the chocolate aroma will stay in the soaps once they're cured. I think that it will, from what I've read. I've been having a lot of fun rereading this book on soapmaking. She interviews several soap makers about their lives, it's enjoyable to hear their perspectives. How was your weekend?             

8 comments:

  1. you & your dogs sound happy & healthy!
    my daughter took me out on saturday, we walked a markets nearly all morning then went to the movies in the arvo, it was a lovely day out.
    love walking & must kick myself back into it but i tend to knit most days & don't get a chance or forget to go walking.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Selina. I didn't knit on Sunday, which is very unusual for me. I'm glsd to hear that you had a nice time with your daughter on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Your soaps turned out beautifully! Boy, even with last year's rain/snow, you are still pretty dry down there aren't you? Obviously, driest time of year right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Oh yes, it's very dry right now. We're in the desert. I'm pleased with the soaps, thanks. I love the molds.

      Delete
  3. Walking, fresh air, wonderful scenery and being with dogs sounds perfect. You have some lovely places to hike. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, Yes we do! I feel fortunate to live close to so many hiking trails. It's a nice diversion.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you live near such an amazing web of great hiking trails. I haven't been hiking there in a few years but I fondly remember the magnificent vistas. They were so exhilarating and make the hike so enjoyable.

    I know what you mean about dog training. Firm, gentle and constant attention to each personality and temperament makes for a very happy dog and a great doggie citizen. They need daily movement and new scenery to be happy and healthy the same way I do.
    It's so funny how people have always commented that "such a gentle, skinny person" can have two well behaved large dogs! Really, it's not a wrestling match....Mama is the alpha dog. End of story. My dogs have always been happy, well adjusted creatures with impeccable manners.

    The new cocoa butter soap sounds delicious! It would be a great gift for someone who is expecting. Not only would it be perfect to help soften their expanding skin but the scent would be very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill,

    That's great that your dogs are so balanced and happy. I think you're right about the change of scenery. Mine really appreciate a different route, too.

    That's a good idea for the cocoa butter soap. The body butter would work well for a pregnant woman, too. It's such an intoxicating aroma! Sometimes I just open the bag and take a whiff.

    ReplyDelete