Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Homemade Herbal Laundry Detergent Recipe


Today when I got home from knitting I had a message on Esty.  It was from the woman who ordered the goat's milk soap and shea butter goat's milk soap on Monday. I was thrilled to hear that she had already received her box, and had even showered with the soap! She is clear across the country, in New York! I guess that's why it costs what it does for Priority Mail shipping.  That is speedy!

She told me that she planned to grate one bar of soap to use for homemade laundry detergent, and asked me for the proportions. I used to use this recipe. Now I do a simpler version, but I'll give both to you.

4 oz. grated soap (1 bar)
2 cups Borax
2 cups washing soda
1 cup baking soda
essential oils

Use 1 T to 1/4 cup per load

I've now started to just use my liquid soap and some baking soda and Borax. I don't even measure it, to be honest. I just guesstimate it. My clothes aren't very dirty, unless I've been gardening. In that case, I use the stain stick from the coconut soap, and apply it on the affected area.



I find the coconut liquid soap is the one that's the most cleansing, although they all work. You can also let your clothes soak in the soapy water for a couple of hours, if there are any stains that need to be removed.


To make the liquid soap, grate one bar and simmer it with eight cups of water until the soap has melted. I like this consistency better than adding grated soap into the washing powder. I was finding that the bits of soap were sticking to the clothes, if it didn't dissolve. (like in a cold water wash.) There are also  lots of recipes on line for homemade laundry detergent. You can find what's best for you.     

12 comments:

  1. I used to use powder version, but now prefer the liquid one. I mostly wash laundry in cold water, and I think powder sometimes leaves residue on dark clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I find that the baking soda dissolves, but not the grated soap. I pour a dollop of my liquid soap into the washer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be such a great feeling knowing that something you made has been well received from such a long way away. That's special.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, Kylie. That's one thing I love about having a home based business. Mail order suits me.

      Delete
  4. So nice to use natural products. I'm glad you ship internationally. I'll let you know when I'd like to order some soaps (in a month or so).

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your article very attentively really this is very informative article. Thank you very much for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by and for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  6. Home made laundry detergent is always perfect for our cloth because it doesn't contain any toxic chemical. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rainy. I use non toxic homemade cleaners for my home, as well. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete