Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Darning Your Socks

Today I've been sitting out on the front porch, darning my socks.  When I was a little girl, my neighbor, Mrs. Hutchinson, taught me how to repair them. She also taught me how to sew on a button.  She wanted me to learn life skills. In those days, I wore store bought socks, and they wore out very quickly. Mrs. H. had a spool of very strong darning thread and a darning needle. She bought me my very own darning egg at the store, and showed me how to use it. I was awestruck. It was easy to do, and I found it rewarding and satisfying. It gave me confidence, and a quiet excitement about the power  of sewing and mending. The only thing was, those old fashioned patches felt hard and stiff. The thread they used back in those days was almost like twine.   

Since then, I have learned how to knit socks, which has really changed everything. It takes me about a week to make a pair. If I focus on knitting exclusively,  then I can finish them in a few days. I don't though, because it's too much pressure and intensity. I buy top quality yarn, and purchase the types that have nylon in them. I find that it really helps make the socks last longer. I save what's leftover  to use for darning, making baby booties, and knitting lightweight lace scarves.



The socks in these photos are several years old. Each year I check them for any small holes, and reinforce those areas. I thread my darning needle, and stitch over and under the threads or bare stitches. It's much easier to do this if you catch it early, rather than waiting until you have a gaping hole. I like using the matching sock yarn, because it is soft, it looks nice, and it blends well. You don't tie any knots, those would feel uncomfortable in your shoe. It's kind of relaxing to stitch up the tiny holes. You're basically weaving. The darning egg holds the shape inside of the sock for you. Some people use a light bulb. I no longer have the brown wooden darning egg that Mrs. Hutchinson gave me, I now use this antique pink one. It was given to me by a knitter who used to attend a knitting group at our local library. It belonged to her grandmother. I think it is so charming and feminine. It's a joy to use; I just love it.


Darning is quick and easy, and it's also very satisfying. After sitting out on the porch and finishing this pile of socks, I will be able to wear them all comfortably for another season. I'm amazed at how long hand knit socks last. They are worth the price, in time and money. I will continue to buy the beautiful, high quality sock yarns. I'm still wearing some of the socks that I made for my mother before she passed away. They are such a luxury. I'm so glad that I learned how to make and take care of them.   

6 comments:

  1. I love "real" socks. Yours are beautiful and I would agree 100% they are worth every penny and minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lady Locust. There's something about hand knit socks that feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story that goes with the darning egg from your friend at the library. Mrs. Hutchinson sounds like a combination of my mom and Mrs. Anderson, my 7th grade Home Ec teacher (yes, I am of the era when ALL girls were required to take 3 years of Home Economics in school). Between the 2 of them I learned valuable lessons on homemaking arts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, We had Home Economics in school, too. That's great that you had your mom and Mrs. Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't it be great to have more Mrs. Hutchinson's around these days for kids. A special lady.
    The colours you choose are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, she was very generous and kind. I taught the little girl down the street to crochet. She's so cute!

      Delete