Friday, August 11, 2017

Shaping Short Rows On A Vintage Hand Knit Sweater

I've been working each day on my vintage short sleeved sweater. I bought this pattern on Etsy. I love the cut of it and the simple, elegant design. Some knitters find doing stockinette stitch boring. Not me, I LOVE it. I think that  it really shows off the beauty of the yarn. This silky wool is something special. I'm so glad that I used it, and didn't leave it sitting in my drawer.

Before beginning a new knitting project,  I always write out my pattern by hand. After that, I  read through it carefully. I was a little worried about the short row shaping on this one. I've done a different type of short rows on the heels of my socks. They were also in the Old Hollywood Shawl Vest that I made years ago.  These are actually easier. There is no wrap and turn. You just pearl a certain number of stitches to the end, turn the work, slip the first stitch on the knit side, and then continue knitting. You skip four stitches each time. It's an interesting effect. I love the line. It creates a beautiful curve.  I can't wait to get started on the other side!



The woodpecker hasn't returned yet. This is the tree where he likes to pound his beak. He's so cute. I love watching him! There have been several sparrows at the birdbath each day. They really enjoy splashing around it in this hot weather. I watch them as I sit out on the porch, knitting. The cool shade of the trees is so relaxing.



































I bought a new tea at the grocery store this week. It's blackberry hibiscus, and is absolutely divine! It's amazing to me how adding honey to a pot of tea brings out all of the flavors of the herbs. This one is by Choice Organic Teas in Seattle, Washington. It's a delicious blend of hibiscus, rosehips, blackberry leaves, lemongrass, licorice root, spearmint, and blackberry flavor. I think I'm going to drink more herbal teas in the hot water, and less juice. This would be excellent chilled, too.        

4 comments:

  1. We do not get woodpeckers in Australia - I would love to see one in real life. I saw a wonderful National Geographic documentary on them once and was fascinated. I hope it returns to you tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Homemaker, Thanks for stopping by. I think he will. I used to see him every day. Woodpeckers have the most beautiful markings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up stockinette stitch and found out it's one row of plain, one row of purl and so on. I think that patterns using this stitch would be rather relaxing as you can continue on without having to check the pattern so often and really get into a rhythm.
    Silky wool sounds very elegant indeed. I'm guessing it would be lovely and soft too.
    You are such a talented lady, well done.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Kylie. You just knit all the way across on one row, and purl all the way across on the wrong side. Silky wool is exactly as you described. It's such nice yarn. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete