Monday, September 25, 2017

Taking Knitting and Crocheting Lessons


Yesterday morning I finished the socks. I forgot to take a photo of them until after they were wrapped. Later on that afternoon, I decided to begin the Lost In Time shawl pattern on Ravelry. It's a free one.  I had  admired it for a while, and wanted to try using some Noro Silk Garden yarn from my stash for it. I bought it at Creative Ewe in Canyon Country.  I thought the earth tones would look pretty in the pattern. I've never crocheted a shawl before, I've only knit them.


As I started the first couple of rows, I got confused. I was working in the round, and I knew that must be wrong. I booked an afternoon private lesson at our local yarn shop, Creative Ewe. I'm lucky that I only live a mile away from them. It really comes in handy if I need to buy a set of needles, or if I need a professional's help in understanding a pattern.  I brought a linen/cotton tank top that I had knit with me. A few nights before my dog Carlie died, we were playing a game of frisbee out in the backyard.  She had gotten overly excited, and she jumped up, trying to grab the frisbee. She ripped a few holes in my tank with her nails. I had tried to figure out how to fix it at home, but my eyes were glazing over as I stared at it. Yuko showed me how to catch the dropped stitches, and she placed them on stitch markers. She then was able to recreate the knitted stitches with the yarn by threading it through with a sewing needle, and stitching through the fabric. It looks excellent. I love the feeling of having something fixed. I had just washed a couple of those tops, and had laid them flat to dry. They are such a great basic to wear here in the summer. The cotton/linen yarn is airy and light. It breathes nicely, and it doesn't pill. I've had these tanks for several years, and they still are in really good shape. I wear them all the time. I knit four of them, in different colors. The yarn is Araucania Lontue; it's hand dyed. I bought it at Creative Ewe in Canyon Country. It's been discontinued, but it's lovely yarn.

Yuko helped me get going on the Lost In Time Shawl. It was really tricky for me. I had to get used to the coordination and method of crocheting a shawl. I was skipping the first stitch, which isn't how this pattern is written. You work in the first stitch. I was also struggling at the end of the row, when doing the last stitch. That's where the increases happen, and it felt crowded and confusing to me. If I count and check my work on each side, it makes sense. Now that it's growing, I can see the progression. I didn't expect it to be such a challenge. The pattern looks simple, but I've had to plod through it, slowly. I'm constantly comparing the sides  and checking the stitches and spaces. It will be good for my technique. It's probably not something I'll be able to do in a group, though. It takes a lot of focus.


I made some nice meals over the weekend. I took a bag of meat bones out of the freezer, and used them for a stock. I added pearled barley, vegetables, and herbs. I love the way the barley soaks up the liquids in soups. It's such a magical grain! I've always loved it. I bought a large bag of it at Sprouts. Soup is so nourishing and comforting. Cold weather foods are so nurturing. I also bought a steak on sale. It was marked down by $6.99, so I splurged. It was absolutely delicious! I had it with a baked potato. It brought back memories of my mom's cooking. Half of it is still in the fridge to have for dinner tonight. This time I'll make a salad, too.

For dessert, I baked some oatmeal cookies from scratch. They taste delicious. It's getting to be that time of year. It's so much fun to be cooking and baking again. It makes me  feel grounded and happy to be at home. This morning I dropped off some clutter to the local thrift shop. There is more to do, but it's a start. The garden is doing so much better in this weather. It's like the plants have heaved a sigh of relief. I'm looking forward to the citrus ripening.  How was your weekend?         


10 comments:

  1. I love soup in the cold weather. Finally we have slightly cooler mornings and nights now. It sounds like you had a very productive weekend. One of my hobbies is driving on country roads, so that's what I did this weekend. A friend and I drove through rural areas taking roads that we had never knew existed. It was a fun experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great adventure, Nil. It's nice that you enjoyed it with a friend.

      Delete
  2. That shawl certainly sounds like a challenge and as you said you really need to focus. Once complete it will be even more rewarding.
    Enjoy your soup and all the winter comfort foods coming your way. I'm looking forward to eating lighter meals and having some warmth. We have some sunshine today and I'm looking outside at Samson chewing a bone and the chickens have a good old dust bath. It's really peaceful too.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. it's getting easier now with the shawl. I love it. Isn't it fun to watch the chickens? They are so entertaining and comical.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors and texture of those summer tops. I have never knit clothing for the warm weather, how silly! You have inspired me to start this winter to have some pieces ready for next season.
    I can see the dancer in you with your approach to craft. It shows in your focus, determination and willingness to practice to develop technique as well as your willingness to seek and pay for professional lessons to clarify and expand your knowledge and ability. It's a lifetime's work, isn't it?

    Another soup lover here, I make 2 pots a week, year round, with barley often making an appearance, alone or in combination with other grains or pulses. It is so comforting and delicious as well as healthy and very thrifty.
    I envy your proximity to a Sprouts store. They do have excellent goods and prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Thank you. I love the texture and feel of the cotton/linen blend, too. I am also going to start knitting more warm weather clothing.

      You are so right about the training. I find it so much easier when I pay a professional for help. Dance really does shape your habits, because of the discipline. I have always enjoyed taking classes and striving to improve.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like your local shop is very helpful. I love cooking and baking as the weather gets colder, soups and stews especially xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. They are wonderful, Cheryl. I love cooking and baking in this weather, too.

      Delete
  5. The shawl looks lovely so far and I am impressed with your dedication to learning new techniques. I agree that sometimes patterns require complete attention. Sometimes I cannot even knit outside because I am afraid I might become distracted by nature and make a mistake. I am envious that you have a yarn shop so near home. The nearest one to me (not counting Michaels and JoAnne's)is 12 miles away. We love soup here as well. In fact we will be having night 3 of black bean/chicken soup for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Anita. Your soup sounds delicious. I am spoiled with our yarn shop. Twelve miles away is still pretty good, though. You look like you could teach knitting to me. Your work is just exquisite.

    ReplyDelete