Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Back To Gardening



The weather has been gorgeous here lately. I spent yesterday afternoon trimming the two conifers that flank my front door. They had gotten taller than the house, and the sides of the trees were looking sloppy. I used my electric hedge trimmer to neaten them up a bit.  It's a marvelous tool.  They look beautiful now. You can clearly see the pink geraniums in the hanging  baskets on my porch. They are in full bloom now, and their color is lush and bright.

I attended a couple of knitting groups over the weekend. I always enjoy seeing what the other knitters are making. The pink lace socks that I'm working on were a big hit. I'm partway through the second one. It was exciting to learn a new construction for the heel and gusset. Winwick Mum has some excellent tutorials. I have friends online who have learned to make socks just by watching her videos. I think that's very impressive.



I just turned in my second article to Dance Magazine. It's rewarding to be a working writer again. It's kind of like being a dancer. You need to keep putting yourself out there. I sent out a few queries this morning. It reminds me of the days when I attended auditions regularly. Dancers are constantly taking classes and going to cattle calls, looking for work.

Speaking of auditions, a couple of weeks ago I attended a dance call! Normally I wouldn't, at age 53, but something nudged me to do it. There was one part for an older ballerina in Grand Hotel. I'm the right type, so I went. It felt felt ecstatic to be dancing again! The choreography was fabulous and musical. I was pleased that I was able to pick  up the steps. That can be difficult, even when you are young. It all depends on the musicality and style of the choreographer. While in the studio, I was flying high, emotionally. It reminded me that I used to feel that joy of dancing every day. Although I got cut from the call, I received a friend request on Facebook from the producer! So, you just never know what will happen in life. So much of show business is contacts.  How are you doing?

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.  Links will not be published.     

10 comments:

  1. It's a lovely day here today, it is just right for gardening. I love pots of geraniums and have a few in my garden. Red is my favourite:) They are such hardy and cheery plants. Good for you, going in to that dance call. I think if we never put ourselves there, then there's no opportunity for things to come back to us. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red geraniums, too, Meg. I think you're right about taking chances...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so fortunate with the weather were you live. My youngest daughter loved, tap, modern and ballet. But gave it all up at 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Yes, we are. It's so mild. That's great that your daughter had all of that dance training...

      Delete
  4. I understand how exciting it must have been to be dancing again. It is clearly in your blood... Go for it girl. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chamber of Commerce weather down here as well. My vegetable garden is coming along very well and that makes me happy. We did not have good luck with a winter vegetable garden on the other side of the house-insects munching and a pesky squirrel digging so I was worried we might be cursed this year. Looking good so far! I agree with Meg-good for you to do a dance call. My sock knitting has now moved to size 2 DPN and fingerling weight yarn (cheap stuff I had in my bag which is acrylic and so rough and awful). I had a bit of trouble with shaping the gusset and instep but lots was learned. I need to find a nice group to knit with sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Too bad about the garden pests. You are making so much proggress with your knitting. Congratulations!

      Delete
  6. We have cool mornings again, a bit strange for this time of the year. And after a couple of rainy days plants are very happy. :)

    Looking forward to read your next article Stephenie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I'm glad your plants are happy. The next article should be published this month in Dance Magazine.

      Delete