Friday, April 20, 2018

Scatterby Sock Photos



 I  am so happy to be able to show you the Scatterby Socks,  by Amy Stringer. It's a free pattern on Ravelry. I was really inspired by it. These are knit from the  toe up; it was my first time working this way. I had a hard time casting on dpn's, but persevered.  I love the feel and look of the pattern. Jenny's Ultra Stretchy Bind Off gives them a nice elastic edge.

I'm now using that pretty grey yarn on the left to knit the sweater Carbeth. For some reason I keep calling it Carpark. It must be my age.  It's a very popular pattern on Ravelry. I received the dk yarn from a knitting friend for free. She gave me several very large skeins of it, and even wound them for me! I did a test swatch, and the gauge was perfect for this sweater. You double the yarn, which I've never done. It's knit on size 10.5 cirucular needles, so it should be a quick project. Some of the people on Ravelry are finishing it in four days! That's my Oaklet Shawl underneath the sock.


I used two skeins of what I thought was matching sock yarn for these from my stash. As you can see, they don't match exactly, but that's okay. I got the yarn on sale with a gift card that my brother gave me last Christmas. I sent them to a friend in Pennsylvania, and she loves them. She was one of the original Rockettes, and  is also a knitter. She told me that she and several of the women  used to knit backstage together, at Radio City. It's cold where she lives, so she has been wearing them regularly. That makes me happy. I love giving hand knit items to knitters. I especially enjoy giving them socks. Lots of times knitters don't make socks themselves, but they really seem to enjoy wearing them.


 I think they have a really lovely texture. I might make another pair for myself someday. They have a snug  fit.It feels different than the socks that I usually make. I substituted a short row heel for the fish lips kiss heel. It worked very well. I purchased the pattern for the fish lips kiss heel, but found all of the math and measurements  intimidating. I didn't even try it; reading through the instructions made my head spin. I didn't feel like I wanted that much of a challenge. The sock pattern is very well written and easy to understand. I highly  recommend it. It was so much fun to learn something new! The tutorial were very helpful, as well. 

The garden is going bananas, so I will write about that tomorrow. The weather has been perfect for planting. How is your garden doing? Are you growing any food?

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. Thank you.  

8 comments:

  1. I like your "mismatched" socks😄 Looking forward to seeing your garden. Your seasons are so different than ours. I did plant onions, turnips, and radishes. Tomorrow will do some cold tolerant above ground crops (Brussels sprouts etc.) otherwise still starting them in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Those vegetables sound delicious. I planted zucchini and artichokes. I could eat them every day...

      Delete
  2. I think those socks look so comfortable and snuggly. We’re just starting to get garden jobs done, Spring was a bit late arriving here this year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I look forward to reading about your garden.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure that I'll ever attempt socks, Stephenie. I'm still working on my shawl, slowly! My favourite pair of socks don't match and I like them that way:) Autumn has finally settled in here so this afternoon I am planting out the rest of my veggie patch, some tiny lettuce seedlings so we have a continuous supply and cornflowers too. Bees will love them. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg, I love your shawl. Lettuce is wonderful, and so easy to grow. Cornflowers are such a lovely shade of blue...there are tons of bees at the citrus blossoms right now. The smell of orange blossoms is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ...Fabricoletout. I love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete