Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Spring Has Sprung


The weather here has been lovely, and the flowers are in bloom. I am waiting for the stars of the show to open, the hollyhocks. They are my very favorite flowers.  They are so tall and majestic.


Today the poplar tree was trimmed. This is the before picture. I was amazed at the speed and efficiency of the tree trimmers. They are so talented. Next week they will be back to do the huge pine tree in my backyard. It's a relief to get the big jobs done. I have been budgeting carefully to make it work. Fortunately, my hobbies are simple and inexpensive. I love to ride the bike with Lula, read on the porch, garden, knit, and write.

I got to visit with several different neighbors today. Many of us stop and chat when we are walking our dogs. We ran into Lula's old family while visiting the horses and goats across the street. The little girls were so happy to see her. It was a sweet reunion. We will probably continue to meet up with them on our evening walks when it's cool.


Today I bought a set of two gliders for the front porch. They are made of teak wood, and have a small table in between them for your food or coffee. This is the first time in twenty years that I have had a new piece of patio furniture. I bought my last wicker chair at the Salvation Army.  I spent a wonderful afternoon outside in the front garden, enjoying a cafe au lait, the fresh air, sunshine, and lull of the chair. I've always loved rocking chairs and gliders. They are so comforting and relaxing. How about you?

Thank you for you comments. I love reading them. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. Thank you.      

10 comments:

  1. That poplar is so majestic! The birds must love it too.
    It's good that you are able to keep it trimmed, as it keeps the tree healthy and prolongs it's life....lots more years of natural beauty and shade for you!

    The yarn for the Carbeth sweater looks like it has such softness and loft in the picture. Enjoy knitting with it in your new gliders!
    What a great addition they will be to your front porch. It's like an entire extra, luxurious room out there, isn't it? I love porches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, You're right. It is like having an outdoor room. I've loved gliders since I was a little girl. Now I have a couple of my own. The tree looks much healthier trimmed. The grey yarn is excellent quality. I have no idea what it is. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. The poplar tree is so tall. It's good that you keep up with maintaining them, as tall trees can be dangerous during heavy winds. I have a large oak tree in the backyard and eventually I'll have to trim several branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your yard looks so pretty. I love oak trees. We had one in our backyard when I was a child. They are magnificent. Yes, tree trimming will now be part of the yearly budget. It's an important expense.

      Delete
  3. Your teak patio furniture should last decades with very little care. We had a teak glider, a rocker, table with chairs and a chest on the back patios for 13 years. When we bought our new patio chairs last fall, we put the teak set out in the driveway for a charity to pick up. One of our neighbors came by and offered us $150 for it, so we sold it to him instead. Everyone was pleased! I am glad to read that you had a good and experienced tree trimmer take care of your trees. So often you see trees with their branches just lopped off. It is so important to lace branches and trim cross branches so the tree grows strong and healthy. Love the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thanks for the info on teak patio furniture. It is so comfortable! This company does excellent work on the trees. You sound so knowledgeable about trees and gardens.

      Delete
  4. I love to sit in the garden and knit in the warm sunshine... If we ever get more than a couple of hours without rain. I had a gorgeous Hollyhock in my garden but didn't know it would come back the next year. I dug it out and was gutted when I learned it would have come back. I plan to have a whole load of them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're stunning flowers, Cherie. You can save the seeds and sprinkle them in the soil each year. Too bad you dug your out of the soil. Good luck with the new ones...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life in your little cottage sounds like a contented one, Stephenie. Your new chairs look lovely and inviting. I like to sit out on our verandah, reading or knitting too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I love this little cottage. The chairs are fantastic, and are getting daily use. Enjoy you verandah!

      Delete