Sunday, April 1, 2018

Happy Easter!



I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. I just started a pair of lacy socks in a beautiful pink and tan variegated yarn. I bought it up in the mountains last weekend. I found a sweet little yarn shop there in Wrightwood, California. My new photos still aren't showing up in my downloads. I will have to break down and pay the computer repairman for help. I've been trying to figure it out on my own, unsuccessfully.

This new yarn is called Tofutsies. It's a sock yarn that I thought would be nice for warm weather socks. It's made of superwash wool, soysilk fibers, cotton, and chitin. Chitin is fiber from shrimp and crab shells. The yarn is very pretty, and has wonderful stitch definition. Winwick  Mum has some fabulous sock patterns on her blog. The lace one that I'm knitting  is free. Her tutorials are excellent, too. Her patterns are  also on Ravelry. www.winwickmum.co.uk

I have decided that tomorrow I will have Lana put down, which makes me sad. She has been such a sweet and loyal dog. I have a soft spot for her in my heart because she was so horribly abused as a puppy. They were definitely going to euthanize her at the animal shelter. The police brought her in on a stick;  her teeth were chattering for three days. Nobody could go near her.


She seemed to sense that she was going to be put to sleep, and became depressed. She was starving, pregnant, and terrified. One of the workers there got the idea to put her in with the puppies. She absolutely loved it, and began playing with all of them. When I first saw her she looked so vulnerable. I was afraid to pick her up. I thought she might bite me, out of fear. Once I got her home to my other two dogs, she relaxed. She seemed to feel safer with them. 

It took a long time to help her heal. She never really became that comfortable with people, but she has been a wonderful pet, watchdog, and frisbee player. All I have to do is think of what I want her to do, and she does it immediately. She anticipates my needs and is eager to please.  I will really miss her. She has such a happy and grateful spirit. She loves and appreciates every little thing. Each time we would drive down our street after taking a trip she would start crying with gratitude. She always checked to be sure that her bed, backyard, and toys were all still there. I learned so much from her about being thankful for our simple home.

She now has sores all over her body, and they are not healing. She has a lump on her leg that has gotten huge. We have tried all kinds of medications, but they are no longer working. She is ten, and for a German Shepherd mix, that is a long life. I've been talking to her about what  a good girl she has been all these years. She seems to understand. I hate to see any person or animal suffer. Tomorrow will be the day. I am so glad that I have Lula to still walk, care for, and enjoy. They get along so well. Now it will  just be the two of us.    

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments in English only, please. Comments with links will not be published.

18 comments:

  1. What a loving and heartfelt tribute to a special, wonderful friend.
    I glad that you had each other all these years.

    Light,love and peace to you both...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jill. She is a very special girl. She has really enriched my life here.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you must put your dog to sleep. It's the hardest part about having dogs. They are such wonderful companions but are with us for what seems like such a short time. You've obviously made a lovely life for Lana and how wonderful she's seemed so grateful. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca T.! Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting. That's true. It is the hardest part about having dogs. I am glad that she doesn't have to suffer, though.

      Delete
  3. Oh I feel so sad. Though I'm sure it will be a relief for Lana. I didn't know she was that ill. You have been so kind to her. She is lucky to have a such caring owner.

    Hugs you Stephenie, and happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, It's confusing because she is very strong. She still loves to play catch and go for a walk. I think that will and power is what got her through the abuse. Thank you for the support.

      Delete
  4. Such a hard and sad time for you, I know exactly how you are feeling, I have been through all this and it still hurts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simple Living. She had a good day today; she was very energetic. I never know what to expect.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain. We had to have our dog put down many years ago. He was 16 and in agony with arthritis. He became incontinent and it was the kindest release. Beautiful tribute and flower. Hope you sort your computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Sometimes it is the kindest decision. Lana was happy and playful today, so she is still with us!

      Delete
  6. sorry to hear that you're going to put her down; it's never easy, if she is still strong perhaps there is another way, medications sometimes are worse rather than helping, maybe take her off all & try her on a more natural diet? 10 isn't that old for a dog, really. she was well loved & sounds like it's been a great ride of a life; hugs to you, keep an eye on the other dog, she did enjoy her company, you won't be the only one to miss/mourn her.
    best wishes to you both
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. She is incredibly strong. She played all afternoon, and is enthusiastically eating her dinner now. Each day is a gift.

      Delete
  7. You are in my thoughts today Stephenie. Lana seemed like such a sweet dog. She will be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. She has made a comeback. She was very happy and high energy today. A bright surprise...

      Delete
  8. I am sending you a very gentle hug this evening. Lana was loved.... and that is all anyone could want for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie. She is bringing me her toys and nudging me to play. Hard to believe it's the same dog!

      Delete
  9. This is such a difficult decision that you are facing with love and with courage too. It is hard to watch another being suffer and for there to be nothing that works to ease that suffering. Whenever the time comes, I'm sure it will be a gentle goodbye and that Lana will know that you loved her dearly. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Meg. Her skin looks horrible, but hers eyes and tail look happy. She was fantastic playing frisbee today. Day by day...

    ReplyDelete