Monday, July 2, 2018

Big Bear Village


The village of Big Bear is filled with boutiques, restaurants, and cafes. It reminds me of Carmel by the Sea. They have a movie theater, and many specialty shops. There are very few chains, which was a welcome sight to me. Small businesses seem to be thriving in this community.

Away from the smog of Los Angeles, the sky is blue and clear. The trees are large, green, and healthy. The air is crisp and clean. Something about being in the mountains always inspires me. The buildings blend in beautifully with the landscape. They old pines add so much charm and benevolence.

I took a side street up towards the cabins.This one caught my eye, nestled in the woods. I'm sure it's lovely in the winter, when everything is covered with a blanket of snow.


There were flowers everywhere! The hanging baskets were filled with allysum and petunias. Snapdragons bloomed in the raised beds. It's amazing how much a garden can help with inviting customers in to a shop. There is something so beckoning about carefully tended  flowers.

     
 As we headed home, I sighed at leaving the beauty and charm of Big Bear. Once we arrived, I immediately got to work in my own garden, transplanting seedlings, feeding the vegetables, and giving all of the plants a drink. It's the daily care and attention to detail that gives a cottage that special vibe.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. A beautiful visit/area! You make your home as scenic as a piece of Big Bear! I do the same thing...I love visiting a place but I then work on my gardens to make them a little bit of heaven, so to say! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. Those escapes inspire me. There are so many artists living there, and their homes reflect their ability to create beauty. I love your garden and home...

      Delete
  2. It makes me happy to see Big Bear has resisted big business. The one thing I always love about the mountains is the smell of the pines. Welcome home and have a piece of that lovely apple pie for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Anita. It has such a different feel than where I live. The shops are all so different, and they each have their own personality. It feels like an artist's town. The pie is already half gone!

      Delete
  3. Ah so they do still get snow. Isn't that inspired feeling a great motivator? I like seeing nice gardens for the same reason..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they do. It is a great feeling, Lady Locust. The temperature up there is perfect for growing flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful little town! love little country towns; hope they never get tempted to get large shops in either; ruins them
    glad you had a lovely time
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very charming there, Selina. I love the feel.

      Delete
  6. Looks a lovely place! So refreshing to find places free from chain stores and fast food restaurants. To me, places like this are full of character and charm. Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think so, too, Meg. There was a Jack In The Box, but it seemed out of place. Lots of original, artistically decorated places. It was fun to browse and feel the creative energy.

    ReplyDelete