Saturday, July 21, 2018

Old Friends and a New Baby Sweater



I've been working on the Five Hour Baby Sweater this week. I adore the pattern, and plan to finish it tomorrow. It's my first time knitting a baby sweater, and it's so much fun! I was given the yarn by a woman in one of my knitting groups. It's so pretty and colorful. It's called Jelli Beenz, by Plymouth Yarn.


My friend from childhood received the stroller blanket and booties that I made for her grandson. She was so excited and appreciative. She sent me a photo of the socks that I knit for her. They fit perfectly. That made me smile. It's very rewarding to knit and crochet gifts for people who love and use hand crafted items.


I drove out to The Holiday Inn near Disneyland today, and had lunch with an old friend. We toured together thirty years ago with the Broadway show, My One And Only. We were both Rockettes and danced in 42nd Street. She worked on Broadway and choreographed for the Rockettes.  It was really heartwarming to sit by the pool together, catch up, and have lunch. I got to watch a couple of videos of her twins. They are both very enthusiastic about dance and performing.

I zipped home in time to take Lula for a long walk, and catch up with a neighbor. I picked up a couple of books at the library, and plan to read them on the porch tomorrow. How is your weekend going?  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. 

14 comments:

  1. It is 05:35 and I am up with the larks. The heatwave has meant that I can't sleep more than a couple of hours. Much as I enjoy the sunshine, we are all praying for some rain just to cool things down a bit. My current pair of socks is more than halfway finished. I keep eyeballing my Mandala Yarn Cakes... mustn't start a new project though until I finish knitting my sock. Your weekend sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hot here, too, Cherie. I'd like to try sleeping outside. Enjoy your sock knitting, and I hope you get some rain.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you've been having fun. I agree it's lovely to make personal gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Yes, it's also rewarding to see the yarn stash decrease and transform into useful clothing! Hope you are doing well...

      Delete
  3. How lovely to catch up with an old friend! I saw a dear friend today too and we did some sewing together in at a local community centre. I got books from the library too, yesterday, and now have a new pile teetering on my bedside table. I always make time to read, even if it's just a paragraph before I go to sleep. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, That's wonderful. Sewing is so meditative and relaxing. Reading has always been something I have really enjoyed. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday. I hope the traffic wasn't too bad for your drive to Orange County. Gosh-I guess I have forgotten how close we live to each other!

    There are few things better than spending time catching up with an old friend. I am having lunch later this week with a colleague from many moons ago who has become a close friend over the years. I haven't seen her in about 6 months though we do email each other occasionally. It is amazing how we just pick up where we left off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I should have thought about it, and made plans to see you while I was out there! It took two hours to get to Anaheim, and an hour and a half to get home. It's 64 miles. I know what you mean about picking up where you left off with close friends. I treasure that feeling.

      Delete
  5. So nice that you keep in touch with friends! What a fantastic career you've had. Your knitting not only looks great, but it looks soft. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a heart warming visit, Andrea. We have always gotten along well. Thank you for the compliment on the baby sweater. It is soft and sweet.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it lovely to meet old friends? You and your friend look so happy. I know the feeling of meeting old friends and as Anita said we always pick up where we left off as if there were no gap in time at all.
    I downloaded a book from the library and also have two new books given to me by a friend.
    I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil,
      Yes, it was such a treat. We always have stimulating conversations. I made a resolution this year to accept all invitations to reunions and to see friends. We never know how much time we have. Your books sound wonderful. Enjoy your Sunday...

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely time. Your baby jumper is looking very cute already xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It's all finished now. I'm working on a pair of matching booties. I will post photos. Hope all's well...

      Delete