Friday, July 27, 2018

Saving Money, And The Security It Brings



As I've gotten older, I have gotten better at saving money. Working from home really helps. I used to spend gobs of money on gas, car repair, music for teaching, training, and dance clothes. Now that I write from home, I don't need any of those things. My clothes last a long time, and I don't get tired of them. I wash them on the delicate cycle, and hang them on the clothesline to dry. I buy and make clothes that I really love, and keep them for as long as possible. I have always appreciated and respected quality clothing.


Since my cottage is tiny, I very rarely buy  "things". I prefer to spend money on experiences and travel. Since I was a young girl,  I had always dreamed of traveling in my fifties, like my Aunt Mary.  It feels like the perfect time. She planned a couple of trips per year, and always looked forward to them.  I really appreciate the cruising lifestyle. It's so convenient to have everything you need on the ship, and to not have to lug your bags everywhere. I am already researching my next voyage. There's a cruise to Australia that sounds amazing!


The hens have been laying eggs nearly every day. They share the nest box; it's so sweet. Having them saves me money on groceries. I find that I eat less meat and poultry, now that I have a steady supply of fresh eggs. I love the ritual of gathering them in the early morning light.

I have cut out certain things in order to save money. I don't have t.v., and  drive very short distances. I combine my errands into one trip, and I don't eat out at restaurants. I would rather spend that money at the end of the year on a trip. That's when I will  splurge on  restaurants, which I really enjoy and appreciate. I do order a cup of tea or a muffin at one of my weekly knitting groups, but I don't have a full meal. I cook and prepare everything at home. It's been part of my routine for years, since I bought my cottage.


I try to keep six months of living expenses in savings. I actually  feel best with $20,000. in savings, but  am working my way back up to that amount. It's a safe feeling to know that if something in the house breaks, or if the car needs a repair, I have the cash. I budget $3,000. a year for home repair and maintenance, so I generally don't have many unexpected problems. This year I spent a lot of money on tree trimming, adding a redwood fence, and draining my septic tank. It was a rewarding feeling, though. These are things that have to be done, just not that often. I am planning to retouch the exterior paint soon, too. I think the heat is very hard on it. The sun beating down seems to cause the paint  to crack and peel.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much enthusiasm and talent to the blog. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

14 comments:

  1. Very smart advice! We are usually disappointed in restaurants; the more expensive, the more we expect...the less the less expectation, yet we never feel it is worth it. Your chickens look sweet! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean, Andrea. There is a place down in Hollywood near The Pantages Theater that I love. I only had a piece of berry pie there, but it was divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so much more frugal now than when I was younger. I think much more now about whether I really need something or not and how much I am prepared to pay for something. We very rarely eat out either as I think it's such a huge expense when a lovely meal can be made at home. When I don't feel like cooking, there will usually be a meal I've frozen in the freezer so I just defrost that. I think you would love Australia, Stephenie! Depending on where you go, there's so much nature to immerse yourself in. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I'm sure I will love Australia! I have wanted to go since I was nineteen. I have some close friends there. That's excellent that you keep homemade meals in your freezer. It's such a money saver, and so healthy.

      Delete
  4. I love this post Stephenie.
    Knowing there is money in the bank account to cover an emergency is such a good feeling.

    Recently I combined money in different savings account and opened a Capital One money market account. If you do online banking check it, they offer higher interest rates for money market accounts if the minimum is 10k. They are FDIC insured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks for the tip. I will look into it. I used to have an ING account. I'm so glad that you liked the post. I really respect your self discipline when it comes to spending and budgeting.

      Delete
  5. This is a really sensible post. I too like the security of having some savings in the bank.. just in case. As for eating out.. well I must be honest and say that I usually much prefer my own cooking. Tony and I prefer to pay for short breaks away by coach as birthday gifts these days. It means we both get to sit back and enjoy the scenery and in fact couldn't do the trip as cheaply as our local budget coach holiday company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you. I generally prefer my own cooking to eating out, as well. Those coach trips sound ideal. I love eating on the train. It reminds me of the old movies...

      Delete
  6. I love the simple lifestyle also Stephenie, it does get easier when you get older I think, we keep thinking about times past when we just worked to pay for "stuff" if only we knew then what we know now, we don't spend mindlessly, we have a few days out and love holidays, living frugally allows us to do these things, we have bought a few treats this week, but they fit in with the "simple living" plan, we bought a new hen house and a couple more hens (we have 4 now), watching the hens is a simple pleasure, and when they are old enough to lay it will be wonderful to have fresh eggs, we also bought a gazebo, as we spend so much time outside, enjoying the garden, watching our aviary birds and chickens, and of course the wild birds, bees and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Living Simply, Yes, I feel the same way. I really enjoy resting and relaxing out on my porch. I love observing the bees, butterflies, and ladybugs. The chickens and roosters make their morning music, and I'm in heaven with a homemade cafe au lait. Enjoy your new chickens and gazebo. Sounds lovely...

      Delete
  7. We also save for the inevitable home repairs. Your house is by far your biggest investment so it is foolish to not take care of it. We just had new glass installed in 3 master bathroom windows this week and will be calling our favorite painter next month to give an estimate on painting the trim, refinishing the outside of the front door, repairing the hole in the laundry room wall, and painting the laundry room (maybe-the hole is behind the washer and not visible so the patch might not warrant repainting the whole room. Jury is still out on that). Yes, the summer heat does a number on the paint especially on the south side of our homes. A cruise to Australia sounds wonderful. We are booked on a cruise departing in October 2020! The ship is still in the yard being built. Boston to Montreal. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Wow! Boston to Montreal sounds fabulous! Looking forward to the trip is half of the fun. I agree, it's so important to take care of your home. That way it can take care of you. It sounds like you do a very thorough job with home maintenance.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post, Stephanie. You sound so content. The chickens are looking great! Gerda (Eliza)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS That trip to Australia sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete