Sunday, July 29, 2018

Keeping Up On The Garden Chores


This morning I got outside early, trimmed off the dead sunflowers, and cut some for a small porch bouquet. I  also  cut  back the periwinkle. It had gotten out of control. It's an invasive plant, but has pretty flowers, and it does well in the drought. I may pull it out and replace it with oleander, which needs very little water.


The navel oranges are doing very well. They are still my favorite variety. They are so juicy and delicious. They will be ripe in about six or seven months. I've been keeping the soil cool with a layer of straw mulch.


The pomegranates are already splitting. I'm not sure why, it could be the lack of rain. I will have to strip the tree, and feed the fruit  to the chickens. Otherwise, the rats will come and hollow out the fruit.  I think I will buy a Wonderful Pomegranate. They seem to do well here. Several of my neighbors have them, and their fruit doesn't split. Mine looks gorgeous when it's in bloom, though. Each Spring it is covered with bright red, tubular flowers.


The tiny blood oranges on the branches turned black, shriveled up,  and dried up on the tree. This variety usually produces oranges every other year, so I guess that's Mother Nature's way of helping the plant to conserve its energy. I will keep it fed, mulched, and watered. It gave me a large crop of delicious oranges this year. Patience...

The hummingbirds love this gopher plant. It does seem to do the job of keeping the gophers out of the front potager garden,  thank goodness!  I think the hawks have greatly reduced their numbers, too. We have several nesting nearby. It's a very healthy ecosystem here. The vibration and sounds are calming.


I've been meaning to post a photo of the finished set from The Five Hour Baby Sweater. I think it's so sweet. I am looking forward to showing it to my knitting friends next week. It's so old fashioned. I am working on a new white  baby sweater now. It's fun to use the baby yarn in my stash that was given to me. I feel fortunate to have inexpensive hobbies. Library books, gardening,  bike riding, walking the dog, and knitting all keep me feeling balanced and happy. How was your weekend?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

20 comments:

  1. How tall are the pomegranates? I've just sprouted some from seed. More for the novelty than fruit as I am not sure it would fruit here in north east England. I heard the other day that a friend is to be a gran in January so I shall be knitting baby things in a month or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bush is about ten feet tall, Cherie. It was just a small plant when I put it in the ground. I saw your seedlings on your blog. They look green and healthy. Love the mango! Happy knitting. Baby clothes are so much fun to make...

      Delete
  2. I love the bonnet the most! It all looks so soft. (and pretty). I love your fruit and flowers...things that could never grow here...so neat! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I love the old fashioned bonnet, too. We are in the perfect climate for citrus and pomegranates. They love the heat.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy reading about your garden. Sunflowers are beautiful.
    I've heard that oleander can harm pets because all its parts are toxic. I'm not sure it's really true, but look into it because you have dogs.

    I just finished mending a shirt. The weekend was a success because finally I ironed two piles of clothes after postponing it for weeks. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thank you. Yes, oleander is poisonous to animals. (if they eat it.) It's growing everywhere here in the neighborhood. It's one of California's most popular freeway plants. Congratulations on the mending and ironing. That's such a great feeling.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like a day in the garden! Oleanders are dying here due to a virus. We had a lovely one in our backyard that we were training to resemble an olive tree, but it succumbed to the virus. It is a shame because oleanders are so bullet proof and pretty. Even if they are very poisonous. Today I trimmed back 3 of the seven lavender bushes. I have been drying lavender for weeks and now am up to my ankles in sachets. Shall I send some to you???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, How sad about the oleander. The ones in this area look very lush and healthy. I like that they don't need much water. Sure, I would love a lavender sachet. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Watch for a package Wednesday or Thursday! I hope you like lavender!!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank you! That's so sweet of you, Anita.

      Delete
  5. Bummer about the pomegranates. We get very few up here and usually only around the holidays.
    The baby set is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. I need to list it on Etsy. My tree is loaded,but they will probably split. They grow like weeds here. I guess they love the heat. Too bad you don't get many where you live.

      Delete
  6. I really do love sunflowers, so vibrant, and I love seeing and hearing about what is grown in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Living Simply. The sunflowers are so easy to grow. These were planted by the neighborhood birds.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to be able to grow and pick your own oranges, I agree naval are the best for taste and size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Yes, it's really a pleasure. California is ideal for growing citrus.

      Delete
  8. Hello,Stephenie,
    been having such issues with my access that I haven't been able to comment much..let's hope this goes through!

    This weather is dreadful for people, animals and trees. I'm surprised the chickens are still laying for you...those Silkies may look delicate but they seem to be intrepid little birds!
    You take such excellent care of your trees. It's a shame the heat is causing so many problems. Those delightful pink pomegranates will at least be enjoyed by the chickens, who will in turn make lovely eggs for you, so I guess all is not lost after all.

    we have been having heat and constant monsoon, flooding rains. I've been keeping busy with very simple knitting projects until my eye issues are resolved and cooking and baking while being stranded in the rain.
    Like you, I'm never bored at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, wonderful hearing from you. I'm sorry to hear that you are having eye issues and flooding weather. It sounds like you are making the best of it. The chickens haven't laid for the past few days. Two were going broody. Your soap is drying on the racks...

      Delete
  9. I don't comment nearly often enough Stephanie but I love reading your blog and enjoy all the lovely photos! Thanks once again, aren't zucchini flowers pretty? Have a great day, Wendy (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy, Thank you so much for the comment. I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying the blog. Yes, zucchini flowers are pretty. They taste good, too. All the best to you in NZ!

    ReplyDelete