Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Hand Knit Socks For a Friend


I just finished these socks for a friend of mine from grammar school. We met playing on the monkey bars when we were seven. She has tiny feet. I measured these to fit her size 5 1/2 shoe. She admired the yarn when I used it for an ipad case. I had plenty left over to make her a pair of wool socks. I'm excited to give them to her. They are a surprise.


I worked on them while I was in Big Bear. I love bringing socks along when I travel, because they are so portable. I decided to do a K2, P2 rib on this pair. I continued it on the top of the foot to add a little texture. I'm pleased with how they turned out, it's just enough of a pattern. It was simple but meditative.


I brought  my own coffee maker with me to the Motel 6. My dad told me that when they first opened the rates were only $6.00 a night. The room was clean and simple. They provided American coffee in the office. Having gourmet coffee in the room always feels like a treat to me. It also saves money. I've had this little one cup coffee maker for twenty years. It really comes in handy. You just plug it into the wall. I brought along freshly ground vanilla nut coffee and some cream and sugar. I love delicious, quality coffee.


I knit a short row heel on this pair.  For some reason, all I feel like making  these days is socks. I have a stash of sock yarn, and with this hot weather, I prefer the smaller projects. Knitters say that sock knitting is addictive, and I think that is true. They also make such excellent gifts. I've given the last three pair that I knit away, and all the recipients have been so appreciative. Do you knit socks?  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

  

12 comments:

  1. Do I knit socks??!! Oh yes-I am addicted to sock knitting right now. Once I kitchener stitch the toe on my latest sock I can happily say that I have finally knit the perfect pair of socks for me. The pattern is a plain vanilla sock (I now know the lingo also), but I think I am almost ready to try something with more style. I will be starting a pair for my sister tomorrow. Yes, socks are great for portable projects. Your socks are beautiful and I am sure your friend will be thrilled to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always admire your socks. I don't knit them, but I do love to wear them. Someday I might learn to knit. I've tried crocheting and was quickly bored. My mom loves it but doesn't care for knitting so maybe I would enjoy knitting. Never know til ya try right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust. Yes, you never know until you try. Knitting is an endless source of joy for me. Maybe you will like it. There are so many gorgeous yarns...Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Anita. I am starting to do more patterned socks, as well. Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure your sister will love her socks. Can't wait to see the yarn you are using...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They'll make a lovely gift, Stephenie. I don't knit socks ... yet ... but perhaps I will one day when I've learned more about knitting. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I am excited to give them to her. Happy knitting!

      Delete
  5. I am addicted to knitting socks... and shawlettes. If I am not knitting one of them I am knitting the other... maybe we should have a sock challenge... you pick a pattern and I will knit a pair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Cherie. I will look in my library. I love shawlette so, too.

      Delete
  6. yes, beautiful socks! tiny feet! enjoy the get together!
    i am getting itchy fingers for sock knitting, want to make another pair but no, have to finish the cardigan i started (then my son's jumper) i would like to make some boot socks; how do you figure out the sizes? i still get it wrong for me! 3 pairs & only one was perfect lol
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, It took me three pair to get a perfect fit, too. Thanks Selina I think it's just trial and error. It helps to make socks continually. The repetition gives you consistency and technique. I use a size one needle. For tiny feet, I switch to a size zero, and for men I use a size two. A lot of it is the pattern. I love Yuko Frederick's and Winwick Mum's...

      Delete
  7. Beautiful socks. (small feet!). How sweet how you met while so young. I remember meeting my childhood best friend picking strawberries and she was hiding behind her mom's apron...ha...It is nice you thoroughly enjoyed your trip! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Yes, she has tiny feet. She is very petite. That's a cute story about your friend.

      Delete