Thursday, July 9, 2020

Busy Working From Home





Do any of you work from home?  I find it so exciting that we are able to send documents and complete business transactions  remotely these days.  No having to drive to an office  saves you so much money on gas, clothing, food, time and energy.  If you are disciplined, you can get a tremendous amount of work done from your living space.  I like being able to have my meals simmering on the stove  and a load of laundry tossing  in the washing machine as I'm typing or editing. 

For me, it helps to get a cardio workout done early in the day.  During the summer, Lula thrives on a routine of walking or running alongside my bicycle while it's still cool outside.  Yesterday we hiked the Pacific Crest Trail.  Halfway through our route, we ran into a loose dog that we used to see regularly on a trail that we hiked a few months ago.  I had switched my ritual, trying to avoid an exuberant Australian shepherd and the difficult couple that own him.  They refuse to put their dog on a leash, and I was getting tired of the stress of our conflicting attitudes.  Tempers had escalated.  I thought it was kind of funny that we met up with them again.  I just veered off the path with Lula and made a half circle.  Their  dog is still charging around, completely out of their control, but at least he is happy and fairly friendly.  If you ask them to get him so that you can pass, they yell at you.  Since I hike to relax and connect with nature, I now just avoid the conflict.

How is your summer going? 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

22 comments:

  1. I’m working from home now. The classes I teach this summer are traditional online classes, so even without the pandemic I would have worked from home anyway. So far all my fall classes are scheduled to be fully online as well.
    I think you and I find it easier because we live alone. Some of my friends who have families find it difficult to work from home when kids are also home all the time. Too many distractions. 😊

    It does save money - I drive even less now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drive less, too, Nil. Wrightwood is so walkable. The weather is perfect for a stroll right now, too. I agree that it's easier to work from home when you live on your own. It's quiet and private.

      Delete
  2. You do have a nice daily schedule! That is a shame about the grouchy dog owners. And we are careful around dogs...some like to attack a more docile dog like our beagle, and maybe your Lula. So you have to watch out and protect her. I don't understand why people have mean dogs! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do, Andrea! I agree with you. Lula can now sense when there is a dog nearby that is off leash, and she stops and sits. I listen to her and take a different route.

      Delete
  3. I worked from home for a short period of time. But, these days, I am retired and don't work. :)

    I don't understand why people let their dogs run around without being on a leash. Today, when I was watering in the back garden, someone's pitbull came running up (it was chasing one of the garden cats) and for a moment, I thought it would jump over the short fence in the sideyard, but, it saw me and stopped. I've had other dogs come into my front yard, often when I am out there, watering the garden. I'm always afraid that one of them might attack me, especially after that incident with the neighbor's dogs that bit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You work hard on your blog, though, Bless. How scary to have that pitbull come running towards you. I remember when you were bitten by that other dog. Ugh.

      Delete
  4. You do get some strange people, don't you? Well done for avoiding conflict and holding onto the positive vibes from your walk. It's just a shame the owners are not as friendly and as happy as their dog.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dog is very enthusiastic and happy. From what I've heard, they tried an obedience class, but had to leave the class.

      Delete
  5. I once worked in an office more than an hour from home. By negotiating with the boss, I was allowed to work from home one day a week. It was blissful and helped me decide that I wanted to retire early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, emw. I love working from home. How fun to retire early!

      Delete
  6. Aggressive people really annoy me. There is no need for rudeness at all. I agree with you on working from home and think it will be the new norm for many businesses now. Why pay office rental when many jobs are just as easily done on a home computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cherie. I think the workplace is going to change dramatically after Covid.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to read about your encounter with the unleashed dog and his rude owners. I normally do my exercise walk very early in the morning-leaving the house about 6am. That way I am able to finish the 4 mile loop before it gets too hot (in the summer/fall). Enjoy the weekend-it is going to be a hot one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to walk at that time, too, Anita. We have to watch for wild animals in the early morning hours here, though.

      Delete
  8. Ill behaved dogs are the worst and as you say, it's usually the owners that are the real problem. You are wise to just avoid them. Nice that you are able to get out and hike - nature does wonders for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, LL. The hiking trails here are glorious!

      Delete
  9. I can't work from home but envy those who can. It is scary out there. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are doing well, Mereknits. Your home life always makes me laugh. I love your two dogs and Buddy.

      Delete
  10. It can be very frustrating when people refuse to put their dogs on a lead. Lily is completely terrified of all dogs and I get fed up trying to explain this to people when they say, 'Oh, it's Okay, he's friendly'.
    I'm so glad you've managed to find the right home/work balance. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how Lily feels, Jules. I know what you mean about trying to explain.

      Delete
  11. We both took early retirement so now our time is our own. We do discipline ourselves to doing a few household jobs each day prior to getting on with our hobbies but it is nice to choose what we want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nice to choose what you want to do. Congratulations on taking early retirement, mm.

      Delete