Thursday, July 23, 2020

Received A Large Tax Refund After E-Filing

Because of Covid-19, I waited to file my taxes until July 13th.  We  had a three month extension in America, due to  the stay at home order.  Normally I see an accountant in January.

I found a new one up in Wrightwood, and was very happy with her services.  She was organized, efficient and knowledgeable.  It only cost $145.00 to have her prepare my return.  If you are low income, you can also get them done free of charge through VITA.  That's what I usually do.  Our local senior center in Santa Clarita usually has tax professionals  who volunteer each year.  Since my dad died last year, I wanted to hire someone and discuss some of the estate tax forms that were new to me. 

I pay cash for my health insurance, which is my biggest expense.  Continuing to work has really been advantageous.  I received nearly all of the premiums back, and the direct deposit has already showed up in my account!  I transferred it to savings, as I am rebuilding my emergency fund.

My favorite financial guru, Suze Orman, announced on her podcast today that she is in the operating room for surgery.  Please send her thoughts of healing and your prayers.  She is such a force!  Her website is here.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments, may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



24 comments:

  1. I did not know Suze Orman is having surgery done, I am praying for good news for her. Enjoy your tax refund and building your savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. I hope she's recovering comfortably.

      Delete
  2. Well done for getting it all done.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my taxes done in mid-March, just before the lockdown went into effect! The day before the lockdown, in fact! I'm glad you found a good accountant with whom you are pleased and received a tax refund. Wise move to rebuild your emergency fund. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the tax refund. A good accountant is well worth their fee. It's a good feeling to be replenishing savings after a spell of heavy expense too, isn't it Stephenie. You have had to pay out a lot of money this year with the roof, the termites etc. I envy you being so organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's terrific. Thanks, PP. More tree trimming is in the works.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the tax rebate. I didn't pay tax this year but I'll have a fight on my hands next year as my house sale should have gone through in the last tax year when the rules were different. It was delayed by covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Frugal. I hope it all works out.

      Delete
  6. Well done on getting your rebate. It must feel satisfying to have it tucked away in your emergency fund. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will probably be the last year we will be able to do our taxes ourselves using TurboTax. With my father's estate being settled (hopefully) before the end of this year our tax situation may be just a bit too complicated. I will keep Suzi in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using an accountant. I am impressed that you have done your own taxes. You are one smart cookie!

      Delete
  8. It's always lovely to get a tax refund and very sensible of you to build up an emergency fund. Tony and I are gradually doing that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very exciting, Cherie. Good luck building your emergency fund.

      Delete
  9. We are finalising our tax returns at moment, Stephanie. We are both set to get refunds and we'll save that money when it comes in. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good that you are receiving money back from tax. It's so worth getting this area of life, right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are wise to build the emergency fund.

    I got my tax refund very early. I too put a portion of it in my emergency fund.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually file early, too, Nil. I had to wait due to my father's death.

    ReplyDelete