Thursday, July 30, 2020

Avoiding Arguments During the Pandemic

One thing that I have learned since this virus hit has been to choose carefully the people with whom I will interact.  If I sense that someone is looking to pick a fight, I walk away, quickly.  I would rather hold my focus on what I want to create than get into a conflict with someone who is angry and antagonistic.

The other day I was at the grocery store.  The woman behind me kept getting too close to me.  She and I were both wearing masks.  I decided to just pay the cashier quickly and leave.  I don't think she was aware of what she was doing.  She didn't seem malicious or aggressive.  Sometimes children at te lake just seem to gravitate towards me.  I think they miss having contact.  One little two year old boy placed his stick on my beach  towel as I was sunbathing and smiled at me.  He was so sweet.   

My mother taught me not to watch soap operas because she didn't want us "watching other people's problems."  My best girlfriend was hooked on All My Children when we were  thirteen.  She would talk about the characters passionately, (like they were her closest friends.)  Her mother watched the show religiously.  Now I understand how wise my mom was to turn on the t.v. and tell us to go play outside.  It was much healthier, on all levels.  Thanks Mom. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. So true! I always hated soap operas! Always good to be a peace-maker and walk away. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea. Horrible fights have been breaking out over it. I've learned as I get older that people won't change. Sometimes it's not worth the stress or hassle if you can just move on in life.

      Delete
  2. You are wise to avoid confrontation, Stephenie. Everyone seems to be so very angry, these days; one never knows when some small thing can flare up and get ugly.

    I grew up without TV; never got used to watching soap operas or sitcoms, etc. I've enough drama in my own life, I guess! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, Bless. It's shocking to read the news lately. That's wonderful that you grew up without tv. I don't have it anymore. I prefer to do yoga and read books. (or knit.)

      Delete
  3. We don't watch any of the soaps but know people that seem to think it is an extension of their own lives. I think they are looking to find answers to their own problems when they see a similar storyline to their own lives. People used to make friends and share problems that way. The world is far too insular now. people seldom make good lasting friendships of the problem sharing kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, I know what you mean. I am fortunate to have some very close friends that I love and cherish. I think conflict and drama can become addicting. I prefer to stay peaceful. Thank goodness for the garden and the lake...

      Delete
  4. I too worry about being to close to someone. Some people seem less bothered about Covid than others, but they don't think how others might feel if they get to close to them. I keep in mind that there are still many people, like myself, 'at risk', but trying to get back out into the world, and it's scary. I don't go in shops, even though they are marked out at 2m distance, as some people just choose to ignore the safety precautions. Keep yourself safe and well. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Sometimes we have to be around others, but I do my best. We have to go to the post office to pick up our mail up in the mountains. I try to visit when it's not busy. Hope you are safe and well, too. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I remember my grandmother and her sister were addicted to a soap opera in the 1960s. I can't remember the name of the show, but the 2 of them would spend hours rehashing and evaluating each episode. As a child I was confused because I thought they were talking about other relatives. I agree-we all must do our part to diffuse this awful anger in our society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend was like that with All My Children. Luke and Laura, I still remember. She had all of their drama and problems memorized. She did act like it was real life, and that she knew them. I remember feeling like you did as a child. It was confusing. Much healthier to go outside and play...

      Delete
  6. I had a thing about not wanting my children to watch other people living their lives, on tv. I'm glad that I was a boring Mum, because they all have busy lives. A few years ago, I ever so subtly, bit by bit, removed myself from difficult people. It made life so much happier. So good on you for not wanting to get involved with "stuff"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wise, swami. I like focusing on my home and my work, it grounds me. Planting flowers in the sunshine this morning felt amazing! It sounds like your kids turned out very well.

      Delete
  7. Good advice, not worth arguing with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mm. You don't need that in your bloodstream. It really can cause serious health problems. I prefer not to engage.

      Delete
  8. I rarely watch TV. I have enough things to keep me busy and/or entertained without watching reality tv shows, soap operas etc. hahaa

    You are wise not to engage with angry people.

    Take care, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here, Nil. I can see that you live a very busy and productive life.

    ReplyDelete