Sunday, August 2, 2020

Back To The Library-Just Published



This morning I took Lula for a relaxing walk down the Wrightwood Trail.  I stopped at the post office on the way back, while no one was there.  In my mailbox was the latest edition of our local newspaper, The Mountaineer Progress.  My article on our sweet little library was in it.  It's so fun to be in print again.  My friends have been so supportive.  It's sweet. 

I stopped at Mountain Hardware and picked up some Cosmos and a large, impressive  Russian Sage plant.  Cosmos do very well in Wrightwood.  They get so tall!  I also bought a couple of bags of rich, black  planting soil.  As I was digging into the dirt in my front garden, I was disappointed to realize that  most of it is still very dry and rocky.  A few pockets have improved, but not nearly at the level that I had expected.  I need to do some more amending and mulching.  My friend always told me, "Just keep planting..."


It was so satisfying to work closely with the earth and plants.  I love how my tiny woodland garden is coming along.  I hope to add some berry bushes and more colorful flowers.  The purple Russian Sage plant is so delicate.  I've seen them growing in my neighborhood, and they thrive.  It helps to pick plants that do well in your location.

Have you been out in the sunshine lately?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

      

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on your article! I agree, gardening is therapeutic. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Yes, gardening is very rewarding, too. It changes the whole atmosphere.

      Delete
  2. Yes, just keep working on that soil! I love cosmos-they do really well down here as well. We treated ourselves to a trip to Mt. Soledad yesterday morning. The fog along the La Jolla coast had pretty much cleared out, but as we watched, another thick bank of fog rolled in. It was wonderful to watch. I will read your latest article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Anita. I saw photos of your trip. It looks gorgeous there!

      Delete
  3. How nice to have your article published! That's a lovely write up about the library. :) Cosmos are among my favorite flowers, although I don't have any growing in my garden, this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I love our library. This is my second year growing Cosmos.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to see your published piece. hope your gardening goes well and that you are enjoying that beautiful lake. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you would like a cheap and easy way to improve your soil, take a 2 litre container and melt lots of holes in it,dig a hole and put it in then fill with food scraps, placed a brick or pavers on top to stop raiding critters.
    The scraps will break down and earth worms will come to the area for the enriched dirt, just keep topping it up and watering the area to keep it worm friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't do that here, MargaretP, or we would attract bears and rats. I have lots of worms in my compost pile, though. I bring that soil up to the mountains in large bags.

      Delete
  6. It took us about 20 years of mulching to turn bare sand into great soil, but it does happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, emw. It just takes time, patience and persistence.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your latest article, Stephenie.

    I didn't do much in the yard this week. Hopefully next week.....

    Whenever I dig somewhere in the backyard and see how sandy the soil is, I think about how you amended your cottage garden. I have a lot to do to make this soil rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, my backyard at the cottage was like white sand. It's amazing how you can change the soil, though.

      Delete
  8. Very exciting to be published - congratulations.
    I find potatoes improve soil no end. No idea why but when they have been dug up, the soil is so much nicer.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful for you to have a published article in the paper, Stephanie. Seeing your writing in print must be a thrill! Our local libraries are open again here and it's lovely to go in and find lots of read and enjoy. I always bring home a bag full of books! I've just finished reading "The Paper Lovers" by Gerard Woodward and made a beetroot salad today from a little cookbook I found in the library too. I adore cosmos flowers and grow them in my garden too. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent news, Meg. Your salad sounds delicious.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on having your article printed again. You write so well, Stephenie. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. So do you. Writing is so enjoyable.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on having your piece published, Stephenie, its exciting! The apple tree in the photo looks wonderful, so healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP. That is one of the fruit trees at the country club. It's huge and magnificent.

      Delete
  12. It is a beautiful day today. However it's winter in New Zealand so luckily we have had ots of rain for our city's dam. Lots of lambs have been born, daffodils, jonquils and freesia's are blooming - spring is obviously on it's way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting, swami. Lots of hope and new life coming your way.

    ReplyDelete